1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Blending question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by owias12, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owias12

owias12 Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Hi gents,

I'm wondering if any of you might be able to lead me in the right direction. I'm a latakia lover. I have a tub of CH and 1/2 a tub of PA along with a bit of McClelland bulk Va. I was wondering where a good place would be to purchase some bulk latakia so that I could try blending it with some of the McClelland's Va and the OTC toby. Also, do any of you have any suggestions as far as blending goes.

Thanks up front for any advice and suggestions. Take care all.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    4noggins list 3 brands of bulk latakia.

Recipe? 50/50 for a start with one of your OTCs and see what happens.
  3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

Definitely second 4Noggins as a supplier...but I might be inclined to starta little more cautiously with the Latakia, it can easily dominate a blend and despite its big aroma it can smoke thin. I'd start nearer the 10% mark and to counteract the thin smoking tendency add in some neutral virginia.

When experimenting, I'd say too always right down what you did in a notebook - there's nothing worse than making something you like then not being able to replicate it, as I know to my cost with winemaking,

Good luck,

4. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Last evening, I tried a blend of 45% PA ... 45% Straight VA ... and 10% Perique. It was as good as it get's, even w/o marrying them a while. I know it isn't Latikia, but thought I'd mention that the Burley really smoothed thing out, to my liking.
  5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    I like to add a little Latakia to various mixtures, including some of my own blending. Several B&M's that I use - that are G&H and SG bulk stockists carry it, and I would think distributors of these brands - in the US would also have it. BTW although my supply is very sporadic - I find Carter Hall to be a good 'mixer' and have just smoked some mixed 50/50 with Semois, and a dash of Latakia....tasty!
    Cheers OT.
  6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    I like McClellands Latakia. Throw together about 60% virginia, 30% latakia and 10% PA. Adjust from there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.