Blending suggestions for SWRA?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dave Dueck, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Disclaimer: I'm not yet much of a burley smoker so I'm not sure how much of my experience is due to the age/condition of my tobacco and how much is due to general burley characteristics.

So I revived the moisture of two old, bone-dry pouches of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. It is pleasantly moist but not overly so by any means, and I get that rich, heavenly original aroma from the jar. But it seems to smoke fast, bland and ashy, however. I do get some of the liqueur notes and a hint of flavor but more than anything it seems like a cigarette when I smoke it. I'm going to give it a few more chances but if I just can't get into it, I see a possibility of blending some other bulk leaf with it. I'd rather not waste 12$ and 3oz of what seems like perfectly functional (perfunctional?) tobacco.

I don't have many choices to blend with at the moment - I've got a half-pound of BCAQ, a half-pound of Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cav, and about 10oz of Smoker's Pride Black Cav - beyond that I have small amounts of a few Boswell and McClelland aromatics, some light English blends by Uhle's and Newminster, and about an ounce of Smoker's Pride Whiskey.

I might just be barking mad but I thought I'd see if the excellent community here has any input on what would make a good blend, and also if my bland experience with SWRA as-is is simply due to badly aged tobacco.

2. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I got the same flavor from it.

I throw things like that into my "Suicide Bag." It contains all the tobaccos I didn't like, that weren't worth trying to trade and all the leftovers from stuff I do like. It is generally better as a whole than its individual parts.

Raffxr7, Dave Dueck and HazyDat620 like this.
  3. krusty

krusty Active Member

Hey Dave. My utility smoke is a 2:1 mix of Half&Half and BCA. I'd be willing to wager any of the cavendish tobaccos you list would perk up the SWRA just fine.
    Try small batches, keep track of the proportions and have at it.

Dave Dueck likes this.
  4. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

While I smoke SWRA everyday straight up, I have been known to mix it with some Walnut for something a bit more robust and different. I also sometimes add a pinch of Nightcap to the top third of a bowl. A waste of good Nightcap? Perhaps, but it makes for an interesting smoke.

Cheers,
    WK

ruffinogold likes this.
  5. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

I blend it with 5 Brothers....but that doesn't sound like the answer you're looking for :whis:

Mington and PipeWife like this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'd say sprinkle it w/ SP BC untill it looks like a " blend " and then drop a pinch of something straight [ like PA ] in there for the Non Aro Gods to be happy . Dont go balistic with the SP BC at first . You can always add more .. right :th1:

Rewster66, Raffxr7 and Dave Dueck like this.
  7. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Thank you for your advice gentlemen, I've tossed in some cavendish (whiskey and vanilla) so it's about 60/40 burley/cav at this point. Seems to burn much better. The soft texture of the cavendish is going a long way towards rescuing the crumbly sawdust that the SWRA used to be. I still get something of a mildly dry, ashy taste halfway through, but I can now really tell that there's decent burley in here and not dead grass. I always was curious about the "nutty" flavor of burley that people gush over, and now I can taste it (I picked up some MCB to cross reference the flavors). Definitely much more pleasant, and perhaps this won't end up being a waste. I'll smoke it slow and we'll see where it goes from here.

On an unrelated note, that MCB is quite nice. Intrigued to pick up a first pack of CH to compare sometime. My burley appreciation could use some work as I'm traditionally a cavendish/latakia smoker.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Get some MacBaren Golden Extra ... it's fantastic ! The Otc burleys are fine , I smoke them most , but the MB GE and the Wessex Burley Blends , and others , are the height of Burley .

jdto and TedVig like this.
  9. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

+1 on the GE. Ruff's recommendation got me into it and it's a favourite!

10. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Also, I find Burley London Blend quite... fantastic.

ruffinogold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.