1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

OK Mike and I have worked something out. I'm sending him samples today.

Marker, please send samples to whoever is next.

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I am with you on enjoying this thread immensely, and agreeing that it has strayed more than a little from its original intent. In the OP of the first Blind Review thread, the suggestion was for approximately three bowls worth of three to five tobaccos to review. Eight or nine blends can be a daunting task to have to review IMHO.

I like the suggested rules, and the reminder that this thread is about reviewing unknown blends. I have gotten more honest ideas about tobaccos that I might like from here than from probably any other thread, not to mention actually really tasted some tobaccos for the first time when it was my turn.

Let's keep this thread rollin'!

Rewster66, Albert and Spillproof like this.
  3. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Im still waiting on my samples from t he last reviewer. Just to give you an update

4. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I sent him my address when he said he was done

Spillproof likes this.
  5. buistd

buistd Active Member

I agree that minimum three, up to a maximum of five blends should be stuck to. If I had received all of my tobaccos a week before I did I would have done them all within three days. As it was, I received them when I was up to my neck with other things, and just couldn't commit the necessary time. For me the process of reviewing required my full attention, and I felt I could not do it if I had any other distractions. Well done Spillproof for giving this thread a shot in the arm.

Jussto and Spillproof like this.
  6. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

I also have been enjoying this thread. I'm none too experienced compared to you guys. I have only tried about a dozen blends thus far, but under normal circumstances I do smoke a bowl a night and read the forums the next day. I will throw my name into this if you feel I'm eligible. No rush since by my reckoning we should have two more people lined up at least at this point. I will gladly get in line behind them to keep it rolling.

Jussto and Spillproof like this.
  7. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

OK I have my samples from Spillproof (maybe a tad more than 'samples').

Sample #1

Appearance -Black and gold I guess it's called ribbon cut. Some slightly bigger leafy pieces in with the finer bits.

Ziploc bag note - Smells like an English blend with a hint of muskiness. Hard to describe.

Char light - Taste of Latakia I think with a strange chocolatey/mocha aftertaste.

1st half of bowl - I am tasting a very very small hint of a sharp pine note overwhelmed by what I can only describe as the taste of a piece of easter chocolate that you found under Grandmas couch that she dropped there in 1953. With just a bit of dust on it. Not a very good taste.

Mid bowl - Dusty chocolate fading into the background. Replaced by green christmas tree car freshener. Like fake pine perfume. I have never tried a Lakeland blend Maybe thats what this is. I have read about 'floral' notes.

Burning characteristics - This is burning very well mid bowl. Nice fine gray ash, burning very cool. This is a thin walled meer and its just warm to the touch.

2nd half of bowl - Flavors more muted now, a bit of sinus tingle on the snorks a couple of times. Very hard to describe. Milder. Dusty sweet.

Bottom of the bowl - It's tasting better with a vague fruitiness, but it's that weird dried unidentifiable fruit that grandmas have. Still that strange muskiness underneath.

End result - burned to mostly fine grey ash with just a bit of black dottle. About a 40 minute smoke in a medium sized bowl.

Opinion - Not horrible but I don't want any more. Brand new flavor. Not an English blend, I have no idea what kind of blend but I would guess a Lakeland because it was totally different than anything I have ever tried. In a four star rating I would give this a half star.

My name for this, if a blender were to ask me to name it would be "Grandmas Apartment"

So what is it? The curiosity is killing me. Probably some fancy hard to find tobacco that everyone is supposed to love, right?

Old Codger, Jussto, el guero and 3 others like this.
  8. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Hmm still havent received my samples from maker :(

9. Spillproof

Great review, sorry you didn't like it ;-) I don't taste chocolate or fruit, but then, I'm not you ;-)

Sample #1 is Hearth&Home Larry's Blend (2009).

Old Codger, Rewster66 and OldSouled65 like this.
  10. Spillproof

PM him. This is a trade, and he should get those to you yesterday.

11. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

Thanks guys for getting this thread moving again.

JescoWhite and Spillproof like this.
  12. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

And that's why I love this thread, I love Larry's Blend, but the notes he got from it made me laugh:xd:

13. MikeInMaine

So that was supposed to be a good blend? :confused::oops: And is it a Lakeland? If not what is it?

Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  14. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

It's an English, oriental forward I believe.

15. Spillproof

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=L&TID=2435

First of all there is no such thing as a blend you "should" like. If you don't like it that's cool.
    Most folks seem to like it; I like it a lot. Definitely not Lakeland.

The beauty of this thread is that it PROVES we taste and experience things differently.
    There is always the possibility your pipe is ghosted with something else, or the samples cross-contaminated a bit while in shipping. Store them separately.

Cheers on an excellent (and entertaining) review.

Old Codger likes this.
  16. MikeInMaine

I just read the reviews and boy was my experience different. Only one reviewer had a 'mold' taste. Another hated it and then changed his mind a year later and gave it 4 stars.
    I chose a meer because I wanted a ghostless smoke. I will try it one more time in a briar and see how that works, but not until I review the rest.

Sample 2 tomorrow.
    Great thread, this is fun.

Old Codger and el guero like this.
  17. Spillproof

Atta boy. Good attitude sir.

Larry's Blend is like jumping into the deep end of "latakia forward english" blends.
    Maybe jar up the rest and revisit it after you've had some similar stuff. Or give it to some sucker.
    Looking forward to your review tomorrow. Excellent start!

18. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Thanks for keeping the thread alive Spill!

19. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

Yeah, that's funny, I don't think it's anything like that either. I love this blend, I get a lot of buttery-sweet taste, along with a spicy/smoky taste. One of my newest favorites that I'm going to have to cellar a lot of.

20. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

If no one is next I would like to give it a go, as apparently my samples from maker are never coming ;).

Oh and Spill, I did send him a pm :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.