Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

Sample three. Smoked out of the same meer. This one I smoked at work around 1:00 am in the belt press room. 20 ft ceiling, cavernous space, one side glass wall looking out to the river. Cool temp around 60 degrees in there. Sitting in an office chair in front of the window. (lunch break;))

Appearance - Predominantly brown, looks like broken up partially rubbed out flake. Some bigger bits that needed some breaking up. Quite dry to the touch.

Baggie note - Smells like leaf mulch. Nice.

Char light - Blast of what must be Latakia right away. Spicy!

First half of bowl - Taste of strong black pepper in the snork and on the tongue, not unpleasant though.
    Burning very well, it tastes like the smell of a burning pile of leaves that somebody dumped a bucket of peppercorns on, but in a good way. Pungent, not a mild tobacco, snorks like a french tickler in the sinuses.
    Behind the peppery leaf fire is something subtle. For a puff of two I thought I tasted a bit of citrus like Erinmore flake but it was very fleeting.

Mid bowl - I usually let it go out and relight but this stayed burning for a couple of minutes so I kept it going.
    Burning down to a dark grey ash and some dottle. The intense pepper is dying down a bit but not much.
    I am slowing my smoking cadence for the last half.

Last half - That slight citrus taste comes and goes as it burns slower but only as a vague undertone, pepper is more muted now changing more into the smoldering leaf mulch taste but still in a good way. Specifically the oak leaf piles that my neighbors used to burn when I was a kid.

End of bowl - A couple of relights toward the end due to the very slow puffing. Really feeling the nicotine, it snuck up on me. At the end I tasted some hints of very old fine Scotch and more of that citrus taste. Pepper taste diminished to the background at the end.
    Blackish ash and a fair amount of dottle at the end.

Opinion - Powerful stuff. Strong nicotine. Good but not an everyday smoke by any means. At least not for me. I would smoke this once in a great while when the mood struck.

I would name this 'Peppered Oak" (if tobacco naming were my job)

Old Codger, Rewster66, Jussto and 3 others like this.
  2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Another Excellent Review Mike!

Sample #3 is GLPease Key Largo

3. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Agreed, great reviews Mike. Looks like I've got some big shoes to fill ;)

4. MikeInMaine

Hmm. Extremely mild... Creamy... says tobacco reviews .com. Not what I got at all. Also I had no idea it was a cigar leaf blend.:byg:

5. Spillproof

Yep, it's different, that's for sure. Glad you semi-enjoyed it. That's kinda how I feel about it too; I don't smoke it often but I have some jarred up.

6. MikeInMaine

Looking forward to the next one. The next two will be done at work. 12 hr shifts leaves me no pipe time at home.

7. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I wish I could enjoy my pipes at work :( LOL

MikeInMaine and MainePipe like this.
  8. MikeInMaine

12 hour shift gives me an hour and a half of breaks. Also I am the only one there:whis:.

Old Codger, N3M0 and MainePipe like this.
  9. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Wish I could volunteer for this thread, usually only get quality smoking time on the weekend and maybe a couple times a week depending on work!

Love reading the reviews though...keep them coming!

N3M0 likes this.
  10. MikeInMaine

Sample # 4 Same meer. At work.

Appearance - Very very fine cut. Stringy, clings to itself. Dark brown with some lighter brown mixed in. Looks exactly like roll your own cigarette tobacco. Moisture just right for smoking.

Bag note - Smells like roll your own cig tobacco. A little sweeter maybe.

Char light - About the same as the bag note, cigarette taste with a barely sweet overtone.

First half of bowl - I may be biased by the years I spent rolling my own smokes. Tastes like cig smoke, not much flavor. Bland.

Mid bowl - Burning to a fine dark gray ash. On relight I got a sour tang that persisted for a few puffs. Not much to describe, a hint of sweetness still. Burns very well.

Last half - It really just tastes like smoke. Getting a kind of metallic taste or aftertaste. What flavor there is has been pretty consistent not very much change other than that aftertaste. Feeling the nicotine on this one too.

End of bowl - All ash no dottle Tasted pretty bad at the very last couple puffs.

Opinion - I wouldn't smoke this one again. Flavorless for the most part. Neutral. Plenty of nicotine though if that's what you are looking for.

If I were to name this blend -- 'Roll Your Own Bowl':bing:

Old Codger, el guero and Spillproof like this.
  11. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Nice review Mike!

12. Spillproof

Blend #4 is G&H Kendall Kentucky (6/09) courtesy of Flatbush Paul.
    Awesome review Mike. Sorry (again) you didn't like it. I do! But yeah, it's serious stuff.

13. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

This one I liked from the first bowl, but I have grown to absolutely love it. Mike, I thought it was a little monotone during the first few bowls. After 3+ ounces, I get this deep and spicy mojo from it. My advice is smoke that whole sample and see if it doesn't grow on you. It's coming close to edging out Dark Flake as my go to smoke.

Good review.

Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  14. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Ok, a few disclaimers before I start my reviews:

I am extremely new to pipe smoking so bear with if I get the names of the cuts wrong

I have a very limited spectrum of tobaccos that I've tried thus far (perhaps 6 or 7 different blends) but so far I haven't tried anything that I didn't like.

Lastly, this is only the second review I've done (STM was my first) so, again, bear with me.

Sample #1

Appearance:

It looked to be a flake that was broken up into smaller pieces. Brown with some black, very moist/sticky pieces holding it together. It seemed a quite moist in it's shipped form, however after rubbing it out it was less so, but still on the wet side. It rubbed out to long ribbon like strips for the brown pieces, and smaller, still sticky bit for the black pieces. I'm taking a guess here by it's composition that perhaps this blend was hot pressed into it's current form.

Tin Note:

Earthy, kind of like wet hay, but pleasant, with a hit of spice to it. I'm guessing it's some type of VA, only because the only other VA I've smoked had the same wet hay type smell (minus the spice). Overall I found the tin not to be quite appeasing.

Char Light:

Wow, the second I took my first smoke filled puff after the flame hit it I was smacked by an unexpected, delicious, but not overpowering sweetness.

1/3rd of the Bowl:

The smoke, I noticed, was wispy, not full and creamy like say STM. By itself it had a slight spice element, but when snorked...WOW, I was hit with the sensation that I just bit into a fresh, juicy grapefruit (again unexpected based on bag note & char light). The taste was unbelievable, so much so, that I found myself snorking more than I ever had.

2/3rds of the Bowl:

The delicious grapefruit note was still there, with the added sweetness I first encountered duing my char light (it seemed to take a back seat during the first 1/3rd but came back). To top it all off, the spice I noticed in the bag note came out as well.

Bottom:

Burned nice and cool with only a slight bite towards the very bottom. Only had about 5 relights throughout (which is good for me), everything burned down to a nice, white ash and only a very VERY small amout of dottle (which is probably on my part because I'm new). The flavors from the 2/3rd were still dominant at the bottom, with the spice intensifying slightly but never overpowering the grapefruit or the sweetness.

Conclusion:

This blend knocked my socks off, so much so that I am about to go smoke another bowl :bing:. It was sweet, zesty, and spicy, everything I like in a smoke. A full complexity of flavor, each complimenting one another. I definitely recommned this blend and I'm just DYING to know what it is. Out of 4 stars I give this one 5 (really, it was that good).

If I were to name this blend (taking a page from mikeinmaine's book) I would call it Citris Bliss

I have no clue what it is, and being so inexperienced I can't even make an educated guess ;)

Spill, if the rest of the samples you've sent me are this good, my bank account may be in some serious trouble! :th1:

How'd I do?

15. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

You failed miserably and will be shot by a firing squad at dawn. :ohyh:

Just kidding, I liked your review and your style. :appl: Now I am anxious to find out what it is.

16. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Ha, thanks Rewster lol

Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  17. Spillproof

Wow, awesome review sir and so glad you enjoyed it.
    N3MO's Sample #1 is McClelland St. James Woods

18. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Wow, thanks spill. I enjoyed my second bowl even more than the first. This is definitely making it on my TAD short list.

Spillproof likes this.
  19. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

yes, now this thread is interesting again, I like the dueling banjos reviews thing going on. Keep em coming guys.:th1:

Rewster66, MainePipe, N3M0 and 2 others like this.
  20. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Great review there for sure. I've never tried the St James Wood but their bulk #2015 is another VaPer flake (ready rubbed) which may well tickle your fancy and as it's available in bulk is probably cheaper.

Spillproof and N3M0 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.