Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I plan on revisiting all of these samples in different pipes after the reviews are done. I have tried a few blends that I didn't like at first and now smoke regularly. Any of these may turn out to be totally different in a well caked briar. I may update the reviews in the future. It sure is fun though to really try to put a name on the flavors of the tobacco.

2. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Great review!

Rewster66 and N3M0 like this.
  3. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Thanks!

The second one will be going up tonight at some point.

Just as an FYI to everyone, I have a bachelor party tomorrow night (and Saturday most likely) followed by an Oktoberfest Saturday so I may not post another review after tonight until Sunday afternoon when I recover from my drunken stuper.

4. MikeInMaine

Sample # 5 . Smoked late last night.

Appearance - Coarse cut, Light medium and dark browns. Moisture just right for smoking.

Bag note - Earthy with a hint of dried fruit.

Char light - Essence of campfire as soon as the flame touched the tobacco. Good first impression.

First half of bowl - I am not a cigar smoker but I've been around them and smoked maybe three good ones in my life. I taste cigar only better. And under that a definite taste of apricot. Not artificial tasting though, more like a few dried apricot shavings are in there.
    Rich, full creamy smoke. Smoking a bit hot so I am slowing down. The apricot taste goes away if smoked too fast, comes back as I slow down.
    When I say 'creamy rich smoke', I mean mouth feel only. The snork has some jagged edges, almost sneezy when you get a good amount of smoke. Doing half snorks now. Pretty manly stuff.

Mid bowl - Ashy taste on relight for a few puffs. Burning to white ash and some black dottle.

Last half - Smoking the rest of this as slow as I can. As soon as it gets hot the only taste is the cigar flavor, which isn't bad but that underlying fruitiness is what I am trying to pin down.
    There seems to be a kind of mushroomy flavor too as I get down near the end. And another tantalizing taste that I can't describe. I want to puff harder to taste it but if I do it goes away.
    Cigar taste is almost gone now.

End of bowl - The very last bit was the most interesting. Strange tastes to me. This is one I need to smoke again and see if I can figure it out.
    Burned down to some fine ash and a good amount of dottle.

Opinion - Definitely a powerful blend if you smoke fast. I want to try this in several different pipes and see what the differences are. Eye watering snorks if it heats up.
    Not sure if I would buy this yet. But I sure would pack a bowl if it was offered to me. I suspect this is one that will grow on me. I also think it would be better suited to summer smoking.

I have to smoke more to come up with a name for this.

(I now wait to hear that this had no cigar leaf in it and no apricotiness)

5. MikeInMaine

So who goes after me? I will do #6 later today and Bonus# 7 on Monday. (gone for the weekend)
    I will be ready to send out samples on Monday or Tuesday. So whoever is next in line, PM me and lets discuss.:)

6. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

We need to get some more interested generated in this thread :th1:

7. MikeInMaine

UnarmedCrayon expressed interest a few pages back. As far as I can see he's next unless I missed someone.

UnarmedCrayon and Spillproof like this.
  8. MikeInMaine

Sample #6 Sitting at home in my comfy chair.

Appearance - Dark tobacco, mostly black or very dark brown. Driest of the samples so far. Normal looking ribbon cut.

Baggie note - Earthy sweet and rich.

Char light - Latakia right off the bat.

First half of bowl - I love it at the first puff. This at least is a type I am familiar with. Really nice mild Latakia, rich earthy sweetness. Spices underneath. Very similar to the Frogs Morton style of tobacco. Good thick smoke. Great for smoke rings. Mild and tasty. A cinnamon/nutmeg kind of spice note in there too.

Mid bowl - Burning to course light and dark ash. A taste of worcestershire sauce on relight.

Last half of bowl - Meaty, salty beef jerky taste with a balsam fir woodsy flavor. Delicious. Getting some lip tingle too. This is my favorite style of tobacco.
    Getting some mushroom flavor in there. Full of flavor without having to search for it. Pine taste is more pronounced towards the end and some citrus too.

End of bowl - Flavor towards the end is woodsy pine and citrus. Good flavor right to the end. Really good.

Opinion - A hearty rich satisfying smoke. Full of a variety of flavors that change throughout the bowl. I hope this comes in bulk because I'm buying some. Awesome.

I would name this 'Autumn Sunrise"

I will review the last bonus blend later this evening.

9. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

Sounds great, nice review.

MainePipe likes this.
  10. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Great review, the 2 current reviewers have done some outstanding reviews

11. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Excellent review (again) Mike; You are really good at this!

MikeInMaine's Sample #5 is GLPease Telegraph Hill (*one of my favorites).

Old Codger likes this.
  12. Spillproof

Awesome.
    MikeInMaine's Sample #6 is McCelland Anniversary (2002)

Old Codger likes this.
  13. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Stayed tuned Spill LOL I just smoked sample #2 and #3 today ;) posting up reviews when the little one goes to bed (30-45 min or so)

Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  14. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Feeling a bit more confident in my reviewing abilites after all the likes and kind words received by you awesome guys ;) :th1:. I was busy tonight, smoked Sample #2 & #3, here is the review for Sample #2:

Sample #2

Appearance:

This one was a ribbon cut, and was comprised with medium sized golden, brown, and black pieces. Mixed in were some smaller, very thick black pieces as well. It had perfect moisture level and was ready to smoke out of the bag.

Tin Note:

As soon as I cut into the very neatly packed/sealed vacuum packages (Spill's goodie bags come impeccably well put together I might add) I was instantly hit with one of my favorite and most familiar tobacco smells, the smokiness of Latakia. I just can't get enough of that smell :drly:. I stuck my nose in the bag and took a few deep sniffs, there was almost a sweet, hickory note in there along with the plain smokiness of the Latakia. Took another sniff and notices a slight tang, perhaps whiskey? I'm going to guess that this is an English blend?

Char Light:

When I took my first smoke filled puff after the flame hit it I was greeted by the familiar smokiness that could only be Latakia, and the nice sweet, hickory note I picked up in the bag.

1/3rd of the Bowl:

The smoke was full, creamy, and extremely flavorful. About 1/2 way through the first 1/3rd the spiciness of the Orientals (I'm hoping there were some LOL) really came out, I mean BIG time. The hickory sweet flavor took a back seat, which was nice as I'm not a huge fan of extremely sweet smokes. When snorked...OMG, it cleared out my sinuses like horse raddish and almost made my eyes water. I am now second guessing my English guess, and perhaps this is a Balkan?

2/3rds of the Bowl:

Still spicy, not peppery spicy, like wasabi spicy. The sweet hickory flavor made it's presence known every once in a while, but for the most part stayed in the back ground. A nice compliment to the sinus clearing spice.

Bottom:

Burned nice and cool into a fine light grey ash with ZERO dottle. Only had about 2 relights throughout (my new record). The smoke for the last 1/3rd remained earthy/smokey with the slight sweetness mentioned throughout. I want to make sure that I'm clear, the smoke itself in my mouth never tasted super spicy, it was there, but nothing like when snorked.

Conclusion:

I really liked this blend, it didn't knock my socks off like St. James Woods, but I still liked it a lot. The hickory sweet underlying note really complimented the spice and smokey Latakia flavor. I like a smoke that makes you think (hmm what am I tasting) and this blend didn't dissapoint. A full complexity of flavor, each complimenting one another. I don't know if I would recommned this blend or not, only because Latakia isn't for everyone. Even though I'm new to the pipe (and tobacco in general) I think I'm a slight exception to the rule as far as my tastes go. Instead of going the Burley/Aro route when I first started, I jumped in with both feet right into some pretty heavy Lat blends and LOVE them. Out of 4 stars I give this one 3.5.

If I were to name this blend (taking a page from mikeinmaine's book) I would call it Balkan Cold & Sinus (since when I left work today my nose was kind of getting stuffy, and now I think you could drive an 18 wheeler through my sinuses LOL)

I have no clue what it is, but I'm sticking with it being a Balkan

Spill, you've got some really great stuff, so far you're 2 for 2 with me (actually 3 for 3 but you'll have to wait for my next review..which I'm typing now) :th1:

Edit:

Hmm, sorry for the BLUE font, I can't change it for some reason, but I just wanted to let you all know that it's not there on purpose.

15. Spillproof

Wow, you committed on that one! LOL. Awesome work sir.

N3MO's Sample #2 is Pipeworks & Wilke (P&W) #622
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=W&TID=4266

Old Codger, N3M0 and Rewster66 like this.
  16. MikeInMaine

:xd:
    Great name!

Spillproof likes this.
  17. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

It seems that you may be on the verge of a nicotine overdose this evening, I see no blue colored font. :confused::ohyh:

MikeInMaine likes this.
  18. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

19. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

It must have fixed itself when I did the edit..I swear it was there ;)

Rewster66 likes this.
  20. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I fixed it and was messing with your head a little. :xd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.