1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Awesome review again N3MO, and phew, glad you liked it.

N3MO's Sample #4 is PSF Chick Magnet

Old Codger, Rewster66 and N3M0 like this.
  2. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

What's in it? Makes sense why it was so good, it has the PSF name on it!

3. user2725

user2725 Active Member

:eek: Wow, that's embarrassing, I like Erinmore a lot but it's amazing the things you come up with when you don't know what your smoking, I just went and compared it to what I have, unbelievable but true :ohyh:.

Old Codger, Jussto, Mington and 2 others like this.
  4. Spillproof

Quoted directly from the Rewster's beak:
    "A soothing blend of Burley, Red and Black Cavendish tobaccos that will take you back to that first date at the roadside diner with it's tones of Graham Cracker crust and Pecan Pie."

That is what it consists of, Burely, Red, and Black Cavendish.

5. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Mmm pecan pie lol. Thanks Spill!

Spillproof likes this.
  6. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

I need to get me a can of that stuff. I've been hearing about that blend ever since I started lurking PSF

7. Spillproof

So you've probably heard me say "I'm not an aro guy" but then post that I'm smoking some aro. What's wrong with that?!

I like Chick Magnet a lot. It's fantastic stuff in a cob. Particularly a Rewster66 Shotgun cob.

8. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

Rew definitely comes up with some amazing stuff, I dream of it being just as amazing as KC but on the aro side of things.

Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  9. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I have two more sample to go, will be doing at least one of them tomorrow night, ready to send my samples out, so who the next contestant on Blind Reviews II?

10. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

I have done this so many times. You'll have a preconceived notion and your brain seeks out evidence to support it. That's why the Blind Review thread is such a blast. Great reviews, keep up the good work.

Old Codger likes this.
  11. Spillproof

I believe Nesta is next.

Mington likes this.
  12. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

I'll volunteer myself for this but I'll be on vacation for a week, so whenever I get back, count me in.

Mington, N3M0 and Spillproof like this.
  13. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I concur 1000% with what Spill said, it's definitely the non Aro guy's Aro blend. As I said in my review, I only don't like aro's because they let me down. They smell great, usually have a pleasant room note, but don't taste anything like they smell, and generally start to taste quite raunchy towards the end of the bowl.

Chick Magnet (which I may even have to add in to my rotation now...thanks Spill >.> LOL) definitely DOES NOT disappoint. It tastes quite similar to how it smells, has one of the best room notes I've ever noticed, and the flavor stays with it. On top of the great aro/casing flavor, you also get a very clean, natural tobacco taste.

14. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Sample #5

Appearance:
    Very, VERY dark brown broken up flake, which rubbed out into extremely small brown and dark brown bits. I think there is a piece of wood in here, I couldn't break it with my fingers, used a screw driver and I'm pretty sure its wood LOL. Hmm, anyways it seemed incredibly moist in the bag, it was all clumped together. After I rubbed it out it was much better. Still let it sit out for a good 30 min before packing.
    Tin Note:

I really like how Spill vacuum seals all the samples, not only does it keep them from "contaminating" each other, but it also makes each one a surprise :). As soon as I cut into the vacuum seal, mmmm familiar smokiness of (hopefully) Latakia. I also noticed a little bit of a whiskey note in there as well, and a tangy note, almost like blackened teriyaki wings. Not much else to the tin note on this one, but still quite pleasing.

Char Light:

Instantly hit with an almost floral/perfume type flavor, nothing like the sour/tangy/smokey note the bag lent. It was also quite hard to light (perhaps I should have let it sit out longer). Took me 5 char lights to get a nice char cookie thing going on the top.

1/3rd of the Bowl:

Well, the difficulty and my persistence trying to get it charred paid off. Once it was lit..it was LIT. The smoke was quite good, thin and wispy and full of flavor. There was the floral/perfume from the charlight(s) and a hint of the whiskey note from the bag. After about 10 min of smoking, I noticed I had a sort of burnt cocoa taste in my mouth. This is starting to shape up to be an interesting smoke!
    2/3rds of the Bowl:
    Started to develop a nice little spice. The floral flavor was still there, just not as noticeable, either it lessened, or I got used to it. I was also starting to pick on the smokiness a bit more as well. Burnt cocoa taste was still in my mouth, it wasn't unpleasant, I just want to make note of it :). The smoke was a little warmer than the last one, but still quite pleasant. Oh and there was also a slight hint of the sourness from the whiskey poking through too.

Bottom:

This bowl ended in a fine white ash with a small amount of dottle. The floral note waned a lot more in the last 3rd, still I don't know if it was me getting used to it or if it was really getting weaker. The last 3rd was my favorite part of this bowl, all the flavors just kind of came together. It was a perfume, whiskey, chocolate, smokey treat.​

Conclusion:

Well Spill, you did it again, you really know how to pick em :nwor: . This blend had me written all over it. Insane complexity of flavor with surprises in every puff. Just when you thought you had this one figured out, BAM another flavor appears or one disappears. I'm going to go out on a limb here and take a guess that this was G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake? If it's not that, I'm really hoping it was a lakeland blend, or I need to get my sniffer/palate checked because I definitely tasted floral/perfumey stuff going on there LOL. I would recommend this blend, even to those who don't like smokey blends. It would be a great intro blend, much like STM because it was quite mellow. OH, I almost forgot, the nic hit on this one was like whoa. I never touched a tobacco product (except maybe 8 or 10 cigars in my lifetime) until I took up the pipe. Maybe I'm just not used to nicotine, but this one was a doozy. Out of 4 stars I would give it a 4. I would also add this one into my rotation.

If I were to name this blend, I would call it Crouching Whiskey Hidden Floral

Old Codger, Jussto, Rewster66 and 2 others like this.
  15. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Sample #4: This one looks like an OTC to me, haven't a clue what it is.

Appearance: light and medium browns with a sparse amount of black pieces.
    [​IMG]

Bag note: Mildly sweet brown tobacco scent

Charing Light: lights very easily and has a nice sweet flavor with medium body, I would guess mostly Burly at this point.

First third of bowl: mild sweetness but it is starting to taste like a cigarette, a pretty one dimensional smoke IMO.

Second third of bowl: same as above with more cigarette taste.

Final third of Bowl: same as above and starting to get ashy tasting, bad after taste.

Conclusion: If it wasn't for the sweetness this blend would have been a total flop, I just didn't dig the flavor at all, very cigarette like.

Positives: mild sweetness, some fullness/body.

Negatives: cigarette like taste, very one dimensional, ashy taste develops, bad after taste.

Final Verdict:
    [​IMG]

Old Codger and Spillproof like this.
  16. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

#4 is Middletons Walnut. I really like that blend.

Sample #4:thdn:

Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  17. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Walnut is an interesting beast that has a little of everything in it but the kitchen sink.

18. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Sorry, didn't mean to dig on one of your favorites, just giving my honest opinion, it's just not my kinda smoke.

Old Codger likes this.
  19. Spillproof

Wow, very interesting review sir and sorry it's taken me all day to respond- I'm in the process of moving and the days just slip away.

N3MO's Sample #5 is Esoterica Penzance (2006)

20. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I wonder what I would say if I did a blind review of it. I knew I was supposed to like it before I ever tried it.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.