Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

No worries man, completely understand. Moving sucks btw LOL.

Well color me embarrassed. I've smoke Penzance several times, and for some reason this tasted totally different to me. I'm going with the fact that it's because it's 6 years old. ;)

Can't wait to find out what #6 and the Bonus have in store!

Old Codger, MainePipe and Spillproof like this.
  2. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Sample #6: a wild guess would be Dan's Black Velvet

Appearance: a quite dark lightly aromatic blend consisting of dark brown & black ribbons with some irregular pieces and the occasional bright bit.
    [​IMG]

Bag note: a very light sweet creamy scent, maybe a hint of chocolate?

Charing light: Lights relatively easily, sweet & creamy on the light up with a thick and smoky body, seems familiar but not sure if I have had it before.

First Third: mildly sweet flavor with mostly a smoky taste, very thick smoke, very slight mouth burn, a very smooth smoke with plenty of body.

Second third: not much change here, slight casing taste on the tongue, artificial but not unpleasant, no nose burn when snorked but no sweetness there either just thick smokiness.

Final Third: flavor staying pretty consistent with a hint of of sweetness and heavy smokiness, I wish were better at describing things.

Conclusion: I think this would be a good one for a Latakia lover looking for something with a sweet side, smooth and mellow, with a thick body.

Final Verdict: I liked it's slight sweetness with no bitter side, and the thick smokiness was good.

Old Codger, Mington and Spillproof like this.
  3. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

# 6 is Frog Morton On The Town. My favorite of the frogs.

#6 :thu:

4. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Frog Morton kept popping in to my head on this one, but I thought it was just my imagination, I sure suck at the guessing game :ohyh:, thanks the for the samples Mike, it was fun be I'm glad it's over ;).

5. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I've never had Middleton's Walnut- it's just not an OTC I can seem to find around here.
    I'd still give it a go sometime because I like Middleton's Cherry Blend (*one of a handful of aro's I smoke).

Rewster66 likes this.
  6. Spillproof

You did an awesome job Briar- I would rank the guessing as the least important part. At least I hope so because I utterly failed when I did the Blind Review ;-)

Old Codger, Rewster66 and Mington like this.
  7. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I am sending UnarmedCryaon's samples out today after work. I'm more excited for him to get them than I was to receive the ones from Spill!

Spillproof likes this.
  8. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

I'll keep a weather eye out for them :puffy:

9. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I hope they don't disappoint :bing:.

10. MikeInMaine

Great reviews Briarboy, sorry my replies were so clipped and short. My gal was home and she gets pi$$ed if I spend more time on PSF than I do with her. So I had to sneak a peak once in a while and get quick replies in.
    But the pictures were a great addition to the reviews and I hope others do the same so we can see what they are smoking.

11. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I get an incense thing from good orientals that borders on floral sometime too, I'm going to fire up a bowl of this now, although mine is not quite as old.

Spillproof, Old Codger and N3M0 like this.
  12. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Ok, good then it's not just me LOL. I wonder if the age it has on it does anything to the orientals?

13. Spillproof

Penzance is very good "new," and even better aged. I learned that from jpberg- so you know it's true.

14. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Too bad it only comes around once every so often. I need to get a pound of this stuff next time it's available.

Thanks for sending lots of great stuff, i've thoroughly enjoyed everything you sent, even Raisin Nasal Explosion HAHA.

Going to try to finish up this afternoon/evening with the remaining 2 samples.

15. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

JMHO, but I think the Orientals fade just a little over time, but the Latakia mellows more so they really stand out more so than in a fresh blend.

Spillproof and N3M0 like this.
  16. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Samples for Nesta are on their way.

Spillproof likes this.
  17. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

+1 great reviews as i have stated before, keep em coming

18. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

you guys are making me want to try this....hmmmm:snork:

19. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

must be a maine girl thing...i have a hard enough time sneaking to the deck to get in a pipe...then i come in and hit up PSF, usually doesnt go over well....

Spillproof likes this.
  20. MikeInMaine

I feel yer pain buddy. :toast:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.