Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

So you're saying you're just going to be yourself? :ohyh:

Old Codger, Spillproof and N3M0 like this.
  2. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

darn skippy :snork:

UnarmedCrayon likes this.
  3. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

Review Sample 3 - Smoked in a Basket Bent Dublin.

Description - Very fine cut, shag I would guess. Color is medium to dark brown. Moisture was good to go. :bing:

Bag note - A sweet tobacco with a slight raisin smell.

Char light - Only one char needed and it was going just fine.

1st half of bowl - My first impression was that this was a Danish blend. It immediately made me think of Macbaren tobacco. The smoke was light and soft, with medium tobacco flavor. Snorking was smooth, and got me hints of choco at times. The room note seemed very light. When I sniffed the air I smelled the remaining sulfur aroma of the match used to light it, and in the background a little pipe smell. Started to get a lil bit of tongue burn, a rarity for me.

2nd half of bowl - Unfortunately the tongue burn started getting worse. It didn't help that after a while, I over tamped and REALLY started feeling it. I managed to dump ash, and stir a lil and got the draw to feel right again. It lit back up no problems, and the flavor never seemed to change, although some of the sweetness faded, and it got a lil rough on the edges. I set it down for a lil while to ensure it was not overheated, I think about 20 mins. When I came back to it, unfortunately the tongue bite came right back. Towards the end I thought some of what I was feeling could be a bit of spice on the tongue, but I have yet to have any sort of chemical reaction like that. Before this I have found only one blend that burnt me no matter what ( a B&M house blend that I learned were a ll Lane blends, but I don;t know which one. It was supposedly all golden Cavendish) This one felt different, but I got the same vibe from it that me and it just weren't compatible. It's a shame really, wasn't have bad through the first 1/3rd. I'll have to revisit that one, I feel I should make sure that I hadn't just messed it up somehow. I really did enjoy the first bit, if I'm lucky I just had an off night and some how over cooked it even after the cool down. Until I gave up on it, the flavor seemed consistent, and I never picked up any ashy or bitter flavors when i stirred, I found that part impressive as well. I do hope this wasn't a super well know popular blend that everyone loves. Then I will definitely feel like somehow I goofed on this one. :confused:

Old Codger, N3M0 and Spillproof like this.
  4. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Wait till you find out what it was...

UnarmedCrayon's Sample #3 is................

Carter Hall (from 1985, acquired from our own Calvinandpipe)

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=1092

Thoroughly enjoyed your review on this one. Holy persistence, wouldn't let the tongue bite hold you back, I like it!

Old Codger and Spillproof like this.
  5. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

HOLY TOLEDO!!!! Well, I have had Carter hall.... fresh stuff. I was my supply for my truck pipe for a while.... never had this reaction.... Also, the reason it is no longer my truck tobacco was it's tendency to get ashy tasting at about half way through the bowl. And that never happened here. I will definitely have to retry this, in a cob naturally, and watch my tamping. But burning aside, it tasted rather different from what I think of when I think carter hall. This has been very eye opening thus far. Thank you N3MO. I can only hope to mess with someone else's head equally as much when it is my turn to send samples. :bangin:

6. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

And THAT sir is why I love love love this thread! Its amazing what you notice (or think you notice) when you smoke something and don't know what it is. Glad I've kept you on your toes ;)

MikeInMaine and Old Codger like this.
  7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

For shame! I've been lazy, it would seem!

Okay, tonight's mystery blend is labelled #5. THIS is DEFINITELY aromatic. Black and brown, almost no gold - I'd suspect burley and black cavendish....seems like an American/Danish type full aromatic. Booming fruity pouch aroma, this ought to be interesting. I do love a good aromatic now and then. I was going to light up a bowl of W.O. Larsen Signature Vintage, but then I remembered I ought to try another one of these blends!

Inital prelight guesses - I'm going to go out on a wild limb here and guess that this is a Peterson aromatic. I have zero reason to believe it is. I thought it might be more entertaining if I made a guess, though. So I'm going with Peterson.

I loaded it up in the Astas billiard, now it's time to light it up...

First impressions: definitely a full aromatic with a fruity flavor to it, straddling the line between berry and citrus as far as I can tell. Maybe raspberry, come to think of it, as that can have a sharp, bright, acidic and almost citrus quality to it.

There is a hint of residual latakia flavor despite being pretty good about wiping the bowl between smokes. This makes it remind me of Sillems Black, but I don't think there's actually any latakia in the blend. I will smoke nothing else in this pipe until I smoke this one in it again to see how the flavor changes as the latakia ghost is smoked out.

Alright, with that, I'm off. I may post an update if the flavor changes much throughout the smoke. I will enjoy this either way :)

Rewster66, Old Codger and user2725 like this.
  8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The flavor held up through most of the smoke, but at times burned hot and needed more relights than I felt it should. The flavor did not develop much throughout the smoke, but neither did it remain totally constant, sometimes wavering between being more like berries and more, for lack of a better word, tropical. I enjoyed the smoke, but the meerschaum bowl became quite hot by the time I was at the bottom of the bowl and needed to keep relighting it.

I will not likely smoke this particular blend again in that particular bowl, but I do like it. What is it?

Old Codger and user2725 like this.
  9. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Nesta, you were on the right track with the Sillem's thing, sample #5 is Sillem's Red, here's the manufacturers description,​
    This is a masterful composition for the sophisticated gourmet. A high proportion of spicy and sweet Virginia flake characterizes this mellow, fruity mixture which has been deliciously refined with double toasted black Cavendish and combined with delicate fruity essences of ripe apples, cherries, and Mirabelle. Coarse and fine Golden Virginia give an exquisite bouquet to this tobacco with subtle, light and sweet hints of lemon, I read some of the reviews on it and others have commented that it smoked hot too, it's OK for a change of pace and
    definitely not the worst aro I have smoked but I wouldn't buy it again. I actually prefer the Sillem's Green and Black to this one.

Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh, right on! Well, I assume that it's relatively similar to the Black in terms of not being loaded up with PG, so I bet the smoking characteristics will improve vastly with a little drying time next time I smoke it. I did really enjoy the flavor. Neat!

Spillproof, Old Codger and user2725 like this.
  11. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Good review Nesta and pretty damn close. :gjob:

12. dmkerr

Marker's III sample:

Mottled brown and black fine ribbon with a very light bag aroma of latakia and orientals. Hard to tell if aromas are in the tobacco or "crosstalk" from the other baggies but grabbing a pinch and holding it up to the nose shows this to be a very clean-smelling latakia blend. Drier than I usually smoke these types of blends - more on that later.

I enjoyed this one. It was light tasting but had good presence of various middle-eastern leaf. A really pleasant underlying sweetness, which I assume is from virginias, but the latakia itself seemed more sweet than smoky, indicating a very light touch. Still it's presence was notable. This was not sweet as in the presence of cavendish, either sweetened or unsweetened, but it wouldn't surprise me terribly to learn that it was there. This wasn't sweet as in Fusilier's Ration, and didn't overwhelm this really nice 'light toffee and nut" flavor that consistently reared its head. A sweet nut but not sweetened - naturally sweet. And every once in awhile this leathery essence would come up, which mingled so seamlessly with the rest of the taste.

If this is one I've smoked before, I don't think I smoked it at this moisture content. This blend tells me I need to do this more often, as this was like every other latakia blend I've smoked, yet like none of them. Similarities were present, of course, but this one had some subtle differences. Two bowls of this weren't enough to get the best handle on the blend and I'd like to try more. Good, solid tobacco worth a serious audition.

Old Codger, Spillproof and Marker like this.
  13. Marker

Marker Active Member

Sample #3 was Dunhill London Mixture.

One of my favorites in my Sav Canadian Billiard.

14. dmkerr

Ah, cool! I've been meaning to try the Orlik's version, as I liked the Murrays pretty well.

Spillproof likes this.
  15. dmkerr

Marker's sample IV:
    Unfortunately, there was only enough of this for one bowl and a little left over. My latakia-dedicated pipes tend to be very large! Basically a ribbon cut but with lots of large pieces - kind of a "chop" cut. I did have some issues keeping this lit but they weren't serious issues.

Flavor was light and mellow. Snorking brought out a lot of subtleties and I eventually snorked every puff. This had a smoky, cereal kind of flavor that was really nice. I wish it had been a bit stronger and I had to be careful not to overpuff to get more flavor but it turned this one into a real contemplative blend. I eventually let the flavors come to me and it was worth it. Room note was absolutely sublime! I think I waved at least half of my exhalations back into my face so I could enjoy the aroma. Nutty and with a beautiful baked bread essence. It reminded me of Mac Baren's The Solent but not as strong in flavor. I'm wondering if the latakia is Syrian. Smells great in the bag but not strong like Cyprian does. I would call this a moderately complex blend. The flavors developed more over the course of one puff to the next than down the bowl but closer to the end it developed a bit more body. Mouthfeel became more substantial.

Overall this seems like a very fine blend. I wish the flavor was a little more present but that's just a personal preference. This one is nice as it is. It's one I'd like to try more of.

Old Codger likes this.
  16. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I have been authorized to "reveal" Marker's samples for DmKerr.

Markers Sample IV (provided to Kerr) is Frog Morton on the Town.

17. dmkerr

Should have guessed that one! That's a huge miss for me. :oops:

Spillproof likes this.
  18. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Not a "miss." You described it very well, and there are a lot of blends in this niche.

Rewster66 likes this.
  19. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

After reading your review, I think I'll try this again.

20. dmkerr

Should get my last two samples done this weekend. Meantime, who's next in line to receive? I can put my ship samples together any time.

Rewster66, Spillproof and Marker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.