Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

I'll put out that call too. I still have 3 reviews to give, but I don't want to slow things down. Plus I like the multiple people going aspect. :D So we need two more volunteers. I will take no offense if someone wants to volunteer for dmkerr first, I think it's safe to say his cellar is a bit more varied than mine. I will put some thought into the samples I give to at least try and match the fine ones N3MO sent me. :cool: I can send samples out anytime. ( I can do that while working. Oh the advantages of a service truck :p:)

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Marker's sample #5:

I probably should have jarred this one because it ended up being drier than I prefer latakia blends to be. So I'm anxious to find out what this is so I can try it at my preferred moisture. This had an enticing aroma, both in the bag and in the room, and I found myself waving my exhaled smoke in my face to enjoy it. What I liked about this one is that the latakia was present in each puff, but didn't overwelm. There was a really pleasant sweetness to the mix and a nice aroma of incense that says "turkish tobacco" to me. But the flavor of the turkish was subtle. Some balkan blends go heavy on the oriental and I enjoy that but I liked the fact that the virginia seemed to be the major player here, with latakia riding shotgun. The oriental was in the backseat hanging on for dear life, but it was there, just enough to bring the proceedings together. Then again, I had trouble deciding if the oriental was oriental at all or possibly a whiff of perique. Or both. I didn't get the plummy, fruity sense of perique, nor the briny version so if it was in there, it was light.

Differing moisture content is huge in determining how a blend works for the smoker, and unfortunately I let this one get too dry. There was a slight nip to it from excessive dryness that I thought would be tamed by rehydration. However, when I rehydrated, some of the flavor went AWOL. So I'd like to try this one less dry but fresh from the tin. This one strikes me as a very good blend, at least based on two bowls. I have no clue as to its identity but once known I'm going to pick up a tin and see how I like it.

Old Codger, Marker and Rewster66 like this.
  3. Marker

Marker Active Member

Sample #5 is Dunhill Nightcap

Old Codger and Spillproof like this.
  4. dmkerr

Hmm... I thought Nightcap would have more latakia than that. Oh, well... 5 samples, 5 misses... tomorrow I seek total perfection! :xd:

ruffinogold, Spillproof and Marker like this.
  5. dmkerr

Marker's sample number 6:

Scent of latakia in the baggie that was fairly heavy. Some light orientals in the background. Very dry, and again it took me too long to get to this and I should have jarred it. At its current moisture content, it was a bit aggressive in the "bite" department but controllable. I did not attempt to rehydrate, as the flavor suffered when I did this with #5.

This one was lighter even than the EMP. The latakia that was so noticeable in the bag note was extremely light in the flavor dept. The orientals came more to the forefront but even they were subdued. Some faint virginia sweetness. The entire affair was very laid back. With the EMP, snorking brought out some interesting flavors but this one exhibited little additional from a snork. It seemed to have some commonality with the EMP, London Mix and Nightcap, which makes me wonder if this is Standard Mild. The flavor was just sort of warm air with a slight backbeat of baked bread. Again, this may be better with some moisture to it and I got just 2 bowls out of this, but this isn't one I would jump at the opportunity to try again. Didn't seem to have as much in the tank as the others mentioned. The room note was really excellent, however. This is one I would enjoy sniffing if someone else were in the room smoking it in my presence.

Overall, this was a pretty fun deal! I can't explain the Lakeland essence I got from the Mac Baren's Navy Flake but when I attempted to give the remainder to a local friend who loves NF, he declined, stating it smelled like old lady's perfume. Weird. The Dunhill blends I have not tried since Orlik took over but by all accounts, I may enjoy the Orlik versions of EMP and Nightcap more than I did the Murrays. Sacrilege, I know! And I was surprised that I missed the FMOTT, as it's in my occasional rotation. The sample did smoke like something I'd smoked recently but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Anyway, thanks, Marker! It was a lot of fun!

Now... who's the next victim? :ngty:

6. Marker

Marker Active Member

Sample #6.

SG Squadron Leader.

Hope you enjoyed it dmkerr. The extras were for being a good sport. Hope they find you well.

7. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I scrolled back ten (or so) pages and it looks like MainePipe is ready for some samples.

I'm not sure if there is anyone else in line. My apologies if I didn't scroll back far enough.

WHO WANTS IN?

dmkerr and Rewster66 like this.
  8. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Nesta? Oh Nesta? What happened to Nesta? He had one more sample to go, maybe he got bored. :cfsd:

Rewster66 likes this.
  9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

He's had a bad cold for the last two weeks or so.

10. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Oh, I see, well I guess I'll let him off the hook then ;).

Old Codger and Spillproof like this.
  11. dmkerr

I'll PM MainePipe and see if he's in.

Spillproof likes this.
  12. dmkerr

MainePipe has some time constraints and isn't able to participate at this time.

Anyone else? :popc:

13. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I say we keep picking on the insiders.
    Let's nail another mod. It would probably drive Jpberg into fits to be included; I like that idea.

Plus, who else would appreciate the crap you're gonna pass along Dan?

;)

14. RS422

RS422 Member

I would like to participate.

Spillproof likes this.
  15. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Okay, sorry about that! I had a nasty cold, as mentioned. I'm mostly better now, but despite that was traveling last week and didn't take my samples with me, and I've been smoking very little. So, back to it! I believe I'd tried all but sample number 6, so here we go...number six in the Astas billiard

Presentation: pretty standard ribbon cut, with a beautiful coloration, ranging from bright gold to jet black.

It tastes lovely, very well rounded, with neither latakia, Oriental, nor Virginia overpowering the others. There's a little zip to it....is there some perique in it by chance?

No clue what it is, but it's a good English blend, slightly sweet and well rounded. Thumbs up!

SidZiff, Old Codger and user2725 like this.
  17. dmkerr

Are you saying that M79, Paladin, Briggs and Captain Black Cherry are CRAP???? :mad:

Spillproof likes this.
  18. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Yeah, I found it quite "zippy" a bit more zip than I like, sample #6 is Newminster's Ultimate English, no Perique in it, It had a good flavor but I won't be smoking anymore of it, set my mouth a blaze, here's the makers description...
    The blend we make with the most Latakia gives smokiness to the taste and combined with some excellent Virginias from USA and the finest Oriental out of Turkey makes this a very satisfying smoke, this true English/Balkan blend adds many natural flavours to the taste, full-bodied, most enjoyable without further blending.

SidZiff, Old Codger and Spillproof like this.
  19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh, right on! I liked it, but I didn't find anything that truly stood out - and I have Balkan Sasieni and PS Proper English for when I want something like that. This was good, but it wasn't better than those two and wasn't remarkable. I may someday buy it, but I doubt it. Glad to say I've tried one of their blends, though!

Now....who's up for the blind reviews? It will be fun putting together a sampler!

SidZiff and Old Codger like this.
  20. RS422

RS422 Member

Nesta,

It looks like I am up next. UnarmedCrayon said he was going to be sending me samples today.

Spillproof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.