Blind Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by cigarsarge, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Aw, do I have to?

Mington likes this.
  2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Hey, I get excited about this but not that excited.:eek:

3. Gary

Gary Member

Sample 3:
    [​IMG]
    Prep: none
    Appearance: golden cut ribbon with darker pieces
    Bag note: Seems a hint of cinnamon, and, oddly, at times I got a hint of banana(?)
    Pipe: Stanwell straight
    Fill: 3 step
    Light: Char, light

Start time: 9:05
    End Time: 9:50

Top: Very different taste on this made me say "what the...?" took a snork...OUCH! Burn! Okay, this is a very different smoke for me, and not sure what this is. Light bodied, smooth, but get some "odd" fruit notes. Smelled some fruit in the bag, but not sure what to make of this. Time out. Need some water to clear the palate. Too strange. Took a nice tall drink of water and resumed. Sniffed the bowl and got a natural sweet vanilla note, which makes me think of VAs. Very suspicious that VAs are not the dominant tobacco here. Probably (guess) a heavy perique or orientals. I say this only because my the profile is so unfamiliar to me. Getting spicy tea like notes when I snork now. A very, ,very different scent and taste that, again, is difficult to describe. Slight pine-y essence, but not quite. WTH? Definitely a sweet pine-like note on a snork, and it's consistent. Must be an oriental, right? (sigh) Other than the foreign camphor like nose, it's again white and black pepper with some light nuttiness.

Middle: Nuttiness and white pepper dominate. Bowl burning well, cool. Still getting the menthol like notes, whatever that is. The nutty flavor is more like that bitter section in a walnut shell that separates the nut meats, and not the usual nutty flavor. Rich, smooth smoke. Quite good actually, and it if I hadn't been trying to dissect it I'd be enjoying it! I suppose you could say there's a light citrus note here.

9:35

I've stoked this pretty good trying to figure out the flavor profile, and it's not helping. Getting a little sizzle in the bowl, but it subsides quickly. Tongue feeling a bit numb and tingly. In a good way. No bite.

Bottom: Camphor notes are puzzling me. Is that really in this pipe or could that possibly be from me swabbing it with Everclear a few days ago? Nah....Orientals or Perique, right? I'm stumped. I will revisit this tobacco in the morning on a fresh palate.

Overall: Nice and intriguing smoke. Mild and cool burning with a flavor profile different from anything I've smoked before. Good, but very different. Stayed mild throughout with no relights necessary. Burned clean to the end. This is a good change up smoke. I don't think I'd smoke this often, but a nice change of pace. I'm not sure I'd run out and grab a tin based on this one smoke and will withhold judgment until I can taste it again in the morning.

Score: 85/100

Jesla and dwaugh like this.
  4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Oooooohhhhhhhh....................... I think I know - I think I know!!!!!!!!:)

Scottly likes this.
  5. Scottly

Scottly Member

I will reveal it in the morning after you sample it with your coffee:ccup:

6. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

:(

7. Scottly

Scottly Member

Sorry Rew Rew, sometimes you got to smoke a baccy a few times to get it. I don't want to taint Gary's perception of the blend by revealing it. We will let him puff it again and than :csmile: till then :cpill: and :popc:

Gary likes this.
  8. Gary

Gary Member

Can't believe I'm still thinking about this. Now thinking tha "odd" flavor/smell may have something as simple as cinnamon. Ugh...we'll see in the morning.

9. Gary

Gary Member

Blind review 3 take 2

Bag note clearly has chocolate and maybe some dark fruit ( fig, raisin, etc). In the bowl this is clearly chocolate. More like lightly sweetened cocoa . Note to self: drink your coffee...omg...med-dark roasted Sumatra goes heavenly with Bob's chocolate flake(guess).

Conclusion: last night's spicy pasta and then sweetened chex mix totally messed up my palate.

This morning the chocolate is clear as day and quite tasty. Definitely get some raisiny notes too. And cinnamon. I had set down the ipad thinking i had this one cracked. Watching the snoW gently fall and enjoying the peace and quiet it brings(6:30), when I again got an ever so faint hint of mint. Last night it seemed that's all was getting, when now it hides in the background. Picturing now a cup of frothy hot cocoa with a little mint leaf in top.

A truly wonderful smoke this morning.

Score: 93

Oh, and still smoking this as I post. Might add final notes?..definitely getting the vanilla toward the middle and bottom of the bowl. Not excessive and fits perfectly. Naturally sweet VA or topping I'm not sure, but vanilla is the perfect complement to chocolate, so wouldn't be surprise either way.

10. Scottly

Scottly Member

93 huh:thu2: thats a right good score. You say when and I'll spill the beans:D

11. Gary

Gary Member

Done with the second bowl. May just finish the next/last small bowl with another cup. Don't think I can add any more to this, so let's do the reveal.

12. Gary

Gary Member

Okay, I lied....I'd guess this was all VA....

13. Scottly

Scottly Member

You nailed it this morning Gary. This is the sample I hoped you would like. Its my #1 go to anytime all the time smoke.

CARTER HALL
    Your doing a great job:thu2:

Gary and Rewster66 like this.
  14. Scottly

Scottly Member

This blend is often described as smelling of raisins and or figs.

15. Scottly

Scottly Member

Ah Gary:poke: Gary where did ya go Gary, you Ok:D

Rewster66 likes this.
  16. Gary

Gary Member

Yeah, yeah...had some things to do. Carter effing Hall? Seriously? So the stuff I get at the local drug store must be freaking ancient because I don't get any of this stuff from those pouches. That is excellent stuff!

Rewster66 likes this.
  17. Gary

Gary Member

Going to load the same pipe with some of the CH I have left. Back in a few....

Rewster66 likes this.
  18. Gary

Gary Member

Okay, standing outside with CH from a pouch I purchased locally. It is a shadow of the sample you sent. Where yours was rich and thick, this is slighly bitter. The big rich chocolatle(fruit really i guess, eh? Don't eat figs very often) flavors from your sample aren't there until the bowl has burned down a bit.

On another note, I often smoke CH out of a cob as a quick smoke and reserve this stanwell for big, long smokes. What an amazing difference an quite an eye opener! I can now invest in a tub of this with confidence. Thank you!

Jesla likes this.
  19. Scottly

Scottly Member

Gary the sample was the last of a tub, I empty one every 3 weeks. Yes there is a difference tub vs pouch. I am just really glad you liked it. You really picked up the flavor and notes.:appl:

Gary, Jesla and Rewster66 like this.
  20. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Wow, very nice of both of you on that one! I will have to give my CH a little more mindfulness the next time I load a bowl!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.