1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by cigarsarge, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Member

So TR says this is mostly a burley blend with some VA. My untrained mind associated burley with most of tobacco flavor while the VAs brought the sweetness to a blend. So Burley has some sweetness to it too, or is that part of a topping they use on this blend?

2. Scottly

Scottly Member

I dont really get a lot of sweetness, mostly nutty raisin thingy. But I would venture that yes the VA is the sweetness you detect.

Rewster66 likes this.
  3. Gary

Gary Member

Well, like I've said, my taste buds are probably a bit whacked. I find nailing it difficult to nail down exact flavors and will use terms like "dark fruit" or "red fruit" or "citrus" rather than trying to hone in on the exact fruit. In my mind I often associate flavors in toby with things like bread and, in this case, chocolate. Probably because there are multiple components to tobacco flavor, and when you start putting them all together. Example, in a recent review I noticed a smoke had what I considered rye-like flavors, but also some dark and slightly sweet fruit flavors. I associated it with a sweet pumpernickel bread.

Old Codger likes this.
  4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I'm going to guess - Carter Hall!

Was I right? :)

Scottly likes this.
  5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Another great job, Gary. Amazing how different the tub sample is from the pouch. I'm curious as to why OTC tobaccos, by almost all accounts, taste better from a tub than a pouch. I've tried a few different OTC's, and while I do enjoy some of them, as a 1 to 2 pipe a day smoker who appreciates variety, I just can't see myself smoking up 14 ounces of any one of them in my lifetime. It's a shame that they can't do a better job of producing a consistent tobacco for those who just want to purchase a couple of ounces at a time.

6. Gary

Gary Member

I have not ignored this question about IRC VA flake. They are very, very similar. I've tried two quick bowls of IRC VA in an attempt to answer the question, but it is difficult to make a fair comparison when having a quick smoke like that. While very similar, I believe the Orlik may have been a tad stronger. Really enjoy the IRC VA, by the way. It would be interesting to put those two tobys in a side by side blind comparison. Hmm...maybe I can have my better half put a couple pinches of each into separate containers and label 'em 1 and 2....

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Well, sometime I'll have to give it another go. When I smoked OGS before, a friend gave me a decent-sized baggie of it and recommended it for breaking in my Il Ceppo, as he said it had a very neutral flavor. The sample was a bit on the dry side, and probably old at that, but I soldiered through several partial bowls of it while breaking in the pipe. Tasted like a cigarette and did nothing for me at the time.

8. Gary

Gary Member

I can almost see the comparison to a cig...especially if it was old and dried out. Hadn't thought of that when I was smoking either of these. Makes me wonder if certain tobaccos tickle the former cig-smoker in me a bit.

9. Scottly

Scottly Member

Fresh OGS is very Tangy and has citrus notes.

10. Gary

Gary Member

If you liked irc va, you'll like ogs.

11. Gary

Gary Member

Blind Review 4
    [​IMG]
    Appearance: Medium dark brown cut ribbon​
    Bag note: The crazy, over the top notes I got from this bag when it arrived have disappeared. This now greatly resembles Sample 3. Hmmm.​
    Pipe: Ben Wade freehand​
    Fill: Gravity with a light tamp​
    Light: double char, then light​
    Start time: 7:25​
    End time: 7:59​
    Top: Dark fruits and cinnamon notes similar to sample 3. This seems to have a bit more of the cinnamon component to it. Black pepper and richer notes on a snork. Really nice snork! Almonds and nice cinnamon and dark fruit notes. French inhale really giving off the cinnamon.​
    Middle: Getting nice vanilla notes and richer dark fruit tones. Pipe seems a bit wet, but it subsides in short order.​
    7:38 First tamp. Nice clean smoke and soft ash.​
    Just enjoying the smoke now in silence. Been hours since I had a smoke and this is truly filling the void. Quite a nice smoke and very, very enjoyable. One of those eye-closing experiences again. Hints of black tea and nuttiness. Cinnamon. Vanilla. Dark fruit (dates, figs, whatever)​
    Bottom: Very even and cool burning. Very consistent in flavor. Good complexity as the various flavors just sort of dance around as you go through the bowl. Been puffing this pretty good so it will be a quick smoke I'm afraid. Deep rich flavors at the bottom which I always love. Always saving the best til last...Tongue again has that wonderful white pepper dusted feel.​
    7:55 second tamp. Near the end. Trying to drain all that end-bowl goodness. Gave another light hoping there was a little more to give, but, alas...she's a goner.​
    Overall: Some VAs here, I guess. Probably burleys and maybe some perique. Don't know. Very good complexity in this smoke. Reminded me quite a bit of Sample 3. In fact it is just as good as sample 3 so don't know why I wouldn't score it the same. I'd definitely buy this smoke and make it a regular. Will be interesting to see if this is more expensive than the CH.​
    Score: 93​
    I'll say it again...there can't be many bad pipe tobaccos...I've yet to really try one. And I thank PSF for that. I've found some great smokes thanks to this forum and the people here. Kudos and thanks.​
    Four for four, Scott. That's a home run in my book. Well done. I'll save the bonus smoke for breakfast.​

dwaugh and Scottly like this.
  12. Scottly

Scottly Member

I was worried about this blend. Glad you liked it. Its cheap and available; Prince Alberts Cherry Vanilla :)

Rewster66, HCraven and Gary like this.
  13. Gary

Gary Member

What was up with the bag note I got on earlier? You think sitting around in a baggie for a couple days toned it down? It seemed seriously strong at first and literally moved it to another room so i wouldn't confuse the scent of this with another!

Surprisingly similar to sample 3 imo. The topping wasn't over the top. I'd have been afraid to buy a cherry vanilla out of fear it would be way over the top in flavoring.

14. Scottly

Scottly Member

My thoughts were that it was the cherry and or vanilla you smelled. It is pretty strong in the 9 oz. bag your sample came from. It tastes very much like cotton candy to me by the way.
    It is possible the bonus is strong smelling. Its hard to tell. I thought I was tasting latkia in stuff that did not contain it. It may be cross contamination so to speak;)

Rewster66 likes this.
  15. Gary

Gary Member

Had I known this was a cherry aro I'd have smoked it from the Savinelli Florence I'd used earlier. That has some cherry aro history in it. I have little discipline when it comes to allocating pipes to tobacco types. Might result in less accurate tastes, but since it still always tastes good, I guess it's not that bad.

Rewster66 likes this.
  16. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I've tried this one courtesy of Scottly as well, and I really enjoy it from time to time, when I'm in the mood for an aro.

Is it just me and my inexperience with aromatics, or is cherry a hard taste to pin down when you are doing a blind review? The St. George's Blend I got from Mrs. Ruff has a pretty good cherry kick to it, but for the life of me I couldn't identify it during the review.

17. Gary

Gary Member

I didn't recognize cherry at all. This had much the same flavors as CH. Of course I think my taste buds are a bit whacked sometimes.

18. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

It could just be the sort of loose definition of what "cherry flavor" is supposed to be. Everything from Dr. Pepper to cherry Sucrets lays some claim to it, and none of it tastes like real cherries to me. Even cherry pie filling is a little off.

Gary likes this.
  19. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I'm with you fellas on this one. Of all the tobacco flavors that I have experienced, I think cherry is the hardest to distinguish. With all the cherry blends out there it seems that not one taste exactly like cherry. I will say however, the blend that I think has the strongest distinguishable room note and/or tin or pouch aroma would have to be Paladin. I think the stuff smell great, but it is oh so nasty to my palate.

Gary, you have done a very admirable job with the blind reviews. I like you approach and style. :thu2:

Gary likes this.
  20. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

This is a little off topic, but speaking of mysterious flavorings, I was surfing through Wikipedia earlier and I looked up Tonka bean (as a point of interest, I arrived there after reading about the Kola nut; siggoth and I were having a little conversation about how it's kind of a strange flavor that people have gotten used to via Coca-Cola and similar soft drinks. Yeah, we're both a little nerdy, but it works for us, you know?). Anyway, there are apparently few contemporary uses for the bean, flavoring pipe tobacco being the principal one (did you know it's banned in most countries as a food flavoring additive? Gives lab rats liver problems in high doses). In the article they note that 1792 Flake is flavored with it, and also state that it is used in Dunhill Royal Yacht. This is the first time I've heard this (albeit from a questionable source) but it makes me wonder if it is true, as no one seems to be able to quite identify the flavor of that stuff. It's a well known fact that it's the main flavoring agent in 1792, but if you weren't expecting it in Royal Yacht, do you think you'd be able to identify it, especially if it wasn't as over the top as it is in the former?

Oddly, my buddy Marosi mentions 1792 twice in his review of RY on tobaccoreviews without drawing a parallel in flavor but rather in strength. I know him well and he has a good palette, and it makes me wonder if he picked up on the flavor unconciously. I have to dig out the rest of the sample he gave me and see if I get the Tonquin thing...

Rewster66, Gary and dwaugh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.