Blind Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by cigarsarge, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Member

Bonus Sample
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Appearance: Tiny nuggets as if diced plug.
    Prep: Dried in a dish for about 20 minutes
    Bag note: Stuck my nose deep in the bag and came up with the unmistakable essence of ... tobacco. Rich, heady tobacco though.
    Fill: Gravity and tamp. Thinking I'm going to enjoy this, I filled the bowl to the top.
    Light: Char, char, char, char...hmmm...not wanting to stay lit. Too moist? Too full? Should have dried longer perhaps. Stuggled to get this going. Several lights needed.
    Start time: 6:27
    End time: 7:39
    Top: Very mild. Seemed unlit...because, um, it went out. No words to describe this now. Just a very mild smoke. No spice, fruit, or other flavors to speak of. Have tried all the usual smoking methods to find a descriptor, but nothing comes. Can only state that it's mild and difficult to keep lit. Getting uneven burn and several attempts were made to torch it into submission have failed so far (6:41). At 6:43 I feel it may finally be burning. Getting mostly white and black pepper in the mouth with some light unidentifiable sweeter and light spice notes when snorked.
    Middle: (6:46...little did I realize this wasn't REALLY the middle...but uneven burn was misleading)....Burning better and can now detect very mild sweetness. Til now I'd have guess little or no VA in this, but now suspect otherwise. Perhaps stoved? Dark and smoky and not overt sweetness. Still mostly rich peppery flavors dominate with occasional campfire notes. Snorking gives a bit of a burn, so guessing good nic here. Some hints of another spice that I can't place. (6:52) May have just gotten first hint of a more overt sweetness. Either vanilla or dark fruit. Light cayenne notes on a snork. At 6:55 came some hints of citrus sweetness. Moisture building in the bowl. A quick swab with a cleaner attempted, not much help. Subtle hint of cocoa now, but still dominated by pepper. Mouth getting subtle hints of dried mushrooms.
    Bottom: (7:05) sipping now. More citrus sweetness noted on the finish/back of tongue, otherwise not much else to state. Pipe gods are conspiring against me now. Stirred the bowl to combat the moisture and the pipe clogged. Czech tool employed, then both lighters failed. Took a 3-5 minute break to fill the lighters and relit. Moisture problem gone. 7:12. Suddenly flavors are much more pronounced. Suspect I may have packed this bowl too tight which caused the moisture problem. Very strong white pepper notes still dominate. Snork is still nearly too strong. Can only take it for a couple seconds usually. Any longer results in a burn. Hints of dark and citrus fruits from time to time. Black tea. Tongue feeling a bit numb perhaps. Hints of unsweetened chocolate.
    An hour into this now and I've got quite the nic buzz going. Still sipping with occassional snork. Me thinks the snork is giving the big nic hits. At 7:35 I gave what may be the final tamp. Indeed it was.​
    Overall: Rich smoky flavors dominate here so I'd guess this was stoved tobacco. A big time committment, this smoke. Smaller bowl recommended. Enjoyable smoke, but slow burning and requires good time-committment. A bit one-dimensional, but it is a good dimension. This would probably be best as an after meal smoke with a glass of good scotch.
    Score: 88

Scottly, HCraven and dwaugh like this.
  2. Scottly

Scottly Member

This was a big flake, I folded it down to an inch or so in length and cut it up with scissors to disquise it. I'm sure thats why it did not want to burn. If you can get it broke up or rubbed out it will reveal itself to you for what it is Samuel Gawith Full Viginia Flake :)

HCraven likes this.
  3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Another great job Gary! I have found out through this Blind Review that rubbing out or cutting up flakes does to a great extent change the complexity of flakes and/or cakes. I compared LBF and LTF from the blind reviews that which has not been rubbed out beforehand and it almost seemed like two different blends. The burn characteristics are for sure different.
    Scottly certainly provided you with some good stuff and have done an admirable job my friend! Ray

Mington, Gary and Scottly like this.
  4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Gary I'd like to see what you think of FVF uncut.......It will be quite a bit different than you experienced.

Gary and Scottly like this.
  5. Scottly

Scottly Member

Yep I should have cut that long flake down in to 1" pieces and let you rub it out or fold and stuff,:doh: I figured you probably was very familiar with it though and would know exactly what it was, had I not altered it.

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I could see where FVF would be harder to smoke cut into little bits like that. It's no picnic to get going when it's rubbed out unless you dry it to a crisp, but then you miss all the flavor. Pack it a little looser and sip gently. It's quite rewarding when you get it to burn nice and slow, as I think you noticed more and more as you worked through the bowl. I think it does pack a pretty fair nic hit, which I (unscientifically) attribute to the steam-pressing process. The bulk flakes are the size of thick-cut strips of bacon, and I think you'd need a pipe the size of Rewster's monstrosity to fold and stuff a whole one, but they might have to cart you off in an ambulance if you finished it in one sitting.

Another good review though, Gary. You worked through something of a handicap in the presentation of this classic and still hit all of its high points.

Scottly and Jesla like this.
  7. Gary

Gary Member

These chunks were so hard that I was sure it was some plug that you somehow managed to use a cheese grater on to get into the size pieces you sent. So just now I rubbed some down to a finer consistency and half-filled a MM Washington and gave it a whirl. Much more sweetness coming out of it now, and a much better smoke. On the first smoke I thought to rub this out a bit, but when I felt how hard they were I decided to smoke it as it was. That was a mistake I think as it just disguised an otherwise fantastic smoke. I notched the score down a few pegs because of the difficulty in smoking it and it seeming to be one-dimensional. Having rubbed it out more I got much more sweet flavor from it and less peppery notes.

Properly prepared this is a much better smoke and enjoyed the second smoke much more than the first. As to me being familiar, well, not really. I've had a few SG blends, but not this one. Had VA flakes too which were similar. Great smoke, although, as Herb said, the first smoke I was really handicapped by not knowing what I was up against.

Properly prepared, this may indeed be my favorite smoke of the bunch, but that would be a tough call to make since I enjoyed them all, as my scores indicate. Glad these are widely perceived as great smokers because I was beginning to think I just rated them all high. Too bad you didn't sent me some crappy blend just to prove that bad smokes indeed exist ;)

Getting packed for a short business trip so my time is limited this morning. I'll pop in after I'm fully packed and ready to go. Won't be able to send out any samples until Wednesday at the earliest. If we get someone lined up I know of two or three already that I'll include. One because I think when I searched these forums I found no references to it.....so I think it would be one I'd like to get another opinion in it. The others, well....I'll figure that out depending on who the next victim is and what they like.

Great job on the samples, Scott. Definitely learned a lot. For starters:
    - I can smoke a Cherry Vanilla aro and not find it cloyingly sweet.
    - CH is best from a tub and not a pouch.
    - Proper preparation makes a huge difference in how tobacco smokes.
    - Prince Albert --- My first PA and it was good.

Great job, Scott. I hope I can do nearly as well for the next reviewer.

ruffinogold, Snake and HCraven like this.
  8. Scottly

Scottly Member

Gary you did a really great job on all the blends. And I was itching to put some OTC on somebody:) and I knew I had better include so good stuff along with it.
    As you are about to find out next week. Its even more Fun to set back and read the reviews on the very samples you sent out. You really did a Fantastic job .
    I also have learned prep of the toby is very important:th1:

9. Scottly

Scottly Member

We need somebody to step up and be next, I'm calling out that witch doctor/ Doc B , what do ya say you up for the challenge? :csmile:

Rewster66 and HCraven like this.
  10. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Oh witchypoo.............................. where are you?:)

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Paging Doc B. Report to the Blind Review thread........STAT.

Rewster66 and Gary like this.
  12. Scottly

Scottly Member

13. Snake

+1!
    Double :whis:
    :wch::popc:

14. Gary

Gary Member

This is like the most boring thread ever....so many tobys, so few smokers....

15. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I plan on getting on board soon. I'm going out of town for a few days so I plan on waiting until I get back next week.

HCraven likes this.
  16. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Still nobody on deck?

17. Snake

18. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

19. Scottly

Scottly Member

Hear ye Hear ye, the honorable Mington has stepped up to the challenge :appl:

Mington, Rewster66, Kiowapipe and 2 others like this.
  20. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Good job, Mington! Let's get this thread moving again!

Mington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.