Blue Ribbon

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Two years ago, I took the family on a long roadtrip of a vacation. We left south Texas and headed for Memphis, Tennesse where my in-laws live. Next stop was Lynchburg, where we toured Jack Daniels distillery (highly recommended). Then on to Chattanooga where we spent a week before heading back south.

We took a different route home; partially to stop in Homewood, Alabama. What's in Homewood? Well, The Briary, owned by pipe smoker, pipe maker and tobacconist Skip Elliott. I have affection for the place because my wife bought my first pipe & tobacco from them via phone and they treated her so nice.

During my in-person visit, I purchased 3 more pipes and several tobaccos. My 10 year old son, Henry, was welcomed by Skip and crew as if he was an adult customer. They showed him pipes, and let him sniff tobacco jars. I already had the tobacco I'd selected on the counter, when Henry said, "Hey Dad! You have to come check out this tobacco!".

Henry was smelling from a large canister of "Blue Ribbon". Skip said it was a secret blend made for The Briary and would be fairly rare to come by. I bought 4 oz and took it home with the rest.

Blue Ribbon is an aromatic, but it is a little different than the other's I've smoked. It is moist, but not as sticky as many of the others. It has a deep, rich, pleasant smell, but doesn't have the super sweet, almost-could-eat-it scent. It takes 2-3 charring lights to get it going even. It is mostly made up of dark flecks of tobacco, but has a little brown ribbon too. The flavor is so smooth, slightly sweet, and deeply rich. It is my favorite aromatic, and even though I've tried many more in the last two years, it remains my favorite.

Last year I bought a pound of Blue Ribbon and am smoking it now. I still love this aro, and have noticed the flavor has not degraded with age like Lane 1Q, Especial De Carlos and some of my others have. I don't know who makes Blue Ribbon or what other name it might be found under, but if you are in the mood for an exceptional aromatic, you might consider some Blue Ribbon.

:toast:
    Brad

2. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

I just looked ath their online store and did not find it?
    You have a link?
    Did spy a nice Peterson however :)
    How long does a pound of tobacco normally last you guys ?

3. BradNTX

Ha! I don't see it on there now either. I'll send Skip an email & see what's up.

I don't consume the same blend every day, so a pound lasts years for me. I've found most aros I've got loose a little flavor after about 6 months. Blue Ribbon though always tastes the same.

4. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

Thanks I would like to try some.
    Give me an excuse to order that Peterson as well.

5. BradNTX

I'll see what they say, and if they can't hook you up, I'll work something out with you. ;)

6. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

Sounds like "Brad's Excellent Adventure".....LOL

7. BradNTX

Right!? I put the big pitch on it, then they don't have it anymore. Kind of the tobacco story now days.

8. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

Thanks Brad. But..... I see no use in trying something I can't get. I would probably end up loving it...Then what would I do. HaHA. Thanks for the offer. If you do find out they offer it let me know andI will purchase.

9. BradNTX

I got a reply from Skip that they no longer have it. :(

10. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

Bummer !!! I'm gonna get the Peterson anyway :bing:

11. BradNTX

Skip & the guys at The Briary are very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.