1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Bluecollar guy getting lucky in a trade!!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Darkly, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

So, a friend of mine that has helped me along the way locally came over and we made a trade..
    I took a few things that he simply wasn't using or wasn't enjoying and I hooked him up with something he really wanted..
    I got to get a nice size sample of a few nice tobaccos.. More high end stuff then I've had to date.. funds and all..lol..
    Also got a full tin of Dunhill Nightcap.. which I'm really enjoying as I type this..
    But the coolest part of this trade is THIS...

[​IMG]

A very nice looking and quite large Meerschaum three piece pipe.

[​IMG]

Beneath it in this pic is a MM Legend to give you a idea. The old school venier caliper should just a little over 3 inches height from highest point of turban to the bottom of the bowl.. and a little over 6 inches long from bottom of bowl to the mouth tip.

[​IMG]

This pipe is obviously quite used.. and my friend picked it up from a lucky auction off of ebay as an estate pipe.

[​IMG]

Now there's a face that only a mom could love..lol
    The removable stummel portion has makers marks that I am not familiar with.
    They are three groups of three concentric circles with the centers of each forming a triangle..
    Anyone have a clue about that mark?
    Also... This is my very first meerschaum and I wanna make sure it lasts as long as I do..
    Any and all Tips will be GREATLY appreciated!

Degenetron and RTOdhner like this.
  2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Nice score! Sorry, but I wasn't able to find anything about the Meer from your description of the markings.

Darkly likes this.
  3. Beale

Beale Active Member

Very nice Meer! I have one similar? Mine is a CAO? Beale.

Darkly likes this.
  4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Congrats on the Meer! Enjoy it!

5. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Thanks much!

6. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Here's a close up of the marking on the removable stummel...

[​IMG]

7. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Can't give you any info on the pipe, just thought i'd chime in with some congratulations.. so congrats ;)

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Man , look at the face on that guy ... very cool Meer ! Enjoy

9. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Most definitely and thanks much folks! Anyone of you Meerschaum owners got some good tips to help me make this fellow last as long as me?

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

Smoke it. I don't have a Meer yet. But I hear that Santa has been shopping...

11. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Smoking a blend of MacBaron Coco and and CAO coco white truffle in it as I type.. very tasty!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Don't drop it? ;)

Cool grab...if you're looking for meerschaum care, you can always perform a search here...much of this has been discussed in other threads.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  13. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

DOH! *smacks self in head* yeah.. I shoulda know better.. lol
    Never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed..

14. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Very nice score!:D

15. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Thank you thank you!

16. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've seen that mark before but I have no idea what it means. Marque or brand or carver designations are a fairly new thing with Turkish carvers, and this pipe appears to be older than that. European meers were usually marked with names or brands, but this one could very well prove to be impossible to pinpoint.

As for meerschaum care, well... it depends. If you want to simply smoke it, Yin's "don't drop it" advice is about all you really need. No sharp objects to clean out the cake, of course. Everclear inside the shank and stem is cool. If you want to be anal about coloring it, the list of tips broadens considerably.

17. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nice meer. I tend to agree with DMKerr...those markings are more likely just decorative than any kind of signature.
    First thing I would do with an estate meer is to totally disassemble it. Wash the outer surfaces of the meerschaum parts with a weak solution of mild detergent, rinse and let thoroughly dry. If it has cake in it, GENTLY ream it back with a dull knife blade or use 200 grit sandpaper on a small dowel, whichever you feel most comfortable doing. Wipe out the bowl with high octane booze, run a soaked cleaner through the shank & stem....be careful not to get any on the outside (waxed) surfaces. Once everything dries out, reassemble your pipe, fill it with some of that "boutique" baccy.....enjoy!

18. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Thanks for the tips! Ive smoked a couple bowls out of it already... And it seems to do really awesome.. Ill try a complete disassemble tonight..

19. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Thanks for the tips! Ive smoked a couple bowls out of it already... And it seems to do really awesome.. Ill try a complete disassemble tonight..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.