1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Bog Oak (Morta) w/ extra texture

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Hudson, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudson

Hudson Member

I keep going back and studying the texture of this pipe. I can't decide if I want to put it on its own rotating pedestal or take a bite out of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270940461634?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_8486wt_1395

Has anyone had experience working with or smoking with this material? How much of that texture is the grain, how much the work of the artisan?

2. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

First off let me start by stating--I am NOT a pipe maker there for I cannot speak about working with Morta. HOWEVER as to its unique texture--that was done by the maker. I own one Morta/Bog Oak pipe. That is due to the cost of the pipe. When I began my quest about Morta pipes it began when I got to handle one, and speak with its owner about its' smoking qualities. After MUCH contemplation I found that there were in my mind only a handful of artisons I would trust. They were Trevor Talbert, Davorin, and Paolo Becker. These artisons do exceptional Morta pipes. I own a XXL Billiard done by Paolo Becker. The smoking qualities are PHENOMINAL to say the least. The pipes engineering is PERFECT---no exggeration. I find that the pipe imparts NO--additional taste to the tobacco. I also find that it bring out a Latakia blend like NO other pipe will. It smokes VERY dry, VERY cool, and moisture issues are non existant with it. It is a pipe that in my collection rates as probably one of the finest pipes I have ever smoked. I will tell you that if you are in the market for a Morta pipe---they tend to be VERY pricey, and I would ONLY go with an artison/carver that has alot of experience working with, and turning out pipes made of Morta. I can say that although I am a briar pipe man---My Becker Morta is one of the most phenominal smoking pipes I have EVER had the humble honor, and pleasure to handle, own, and smoke. They are absolutely beautiful works of pipe art due to their texture, and smoking qualities. It took alot of saving, personal searching before I committed to such a pipe------I DO NOT REGRET IT----it is a beyond phenominal smoking pipe with Latakia blends---HONEST.

3. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi Hudson,

I also did the research on Morta pipes. I set my sites on Davorin. I have two pies by him and will most certainly buy another in the future. They are two of my favorite pipes. they are pricey, no doubt. They are very different than briar and Meer. Very hard, and can get hot due to the mass of the material. But the smoke is cool. It will force you to "sip" as you will be conscious of the heat on the body of the pipe. Latakia goes very well with Morta although my Billiard is dedicated to Va's which also smoke terrific in it. I became a customer of Davorin before he was using his USA website so I am able to purchase from him directly. The site adds quite a bit more cash to his pipes. Are they worth it? That is only a question you will be able to answer yourself. To me, yes. They are two of my favorite pipes as I have said. Whatever you decide, Good Luck.

http://davorinmortapipes.wordpress.com/

Paul

4. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I must add--as far as heat---I can push my Becker hard----does NOT heat up like briar at all. It amazes me how cool it is, and how fast it actually goes from warm to cool. Also---from the very first time I fired it up-----NEVER had any moisture issues. Can I afford to own another Becker Morta---especially one that is as large as my billiard-------NO--in one simple word. do I wish I could-----YOU BET---in a heart beat. Phenominal pipes---but man-o-day---pricey.

5. Hudson

Hudson Member

Thank you, gentlemen, for your excellent first hand insights. Sounds like something that will have to go on my wish list, however. I had never heard of the material before and was fascinated by the texture that Werner Mummert achieved with it but I like it even better learning more about it and hearing your testimonials. Makes me want to go find a nice bog to explore.

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Great looking pipe.

7. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Chris Askwith makes some neat Morta pipes as well.

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I have an Askwith, and a P. Becker. Both are
    great smoking pipes! The blast on my Becker
    is simply amazing! I recently rededicated my
    Askwith to English blends, and now I get a
    lot more out of my smokes from it. One should
    own one Morta pipe in their rotation, iMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.