Borkum Riff Bourbon Revisited

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

So after recently reading on here about how terrible BR Bourbon is, and having spent the best part of two years telling anyone who will listen how much I dislike this blend, I thought I would give it another shot. Currently smoking it in an Irish Second pipe whilst pretending to write an essay for university.

I'll be stoned for saying this, but it's not as bad as I remember. I certainly don't mean to say that I really like it, but I can see why people would buy it. If you can keep the tongue bite at bay, it's not too awful. The taste is a little sickly and artificial, and there is little to no tobacco taste evident, but other than that it's OK.

Using the Patrick Brain rating system, this was always a solid C in my books (i.e. never smoke again). It has now been upgraded to a B3 (i.e. wouldn't buy again, but would smoke again, although only if in a bind).

Moral of the story? Not sure really. Probably that if you hated something in the past, it's probably not worth trying again, as even if you find it's not as bad as you thought, you still won't want to buy it again in the future.

Let the stoning commence....

2. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Sometimes we gotta have a cheap hamburger to really appreciate a fine steak!

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I find the new stuff blended in Denmark by STG and distributed by Lane Ltd. in the USA to be much better than the original blend by Swedish Match that was later blended for them by Mac Baren... enjoying a bowl now with my morning coffee...:th1:

Hawkwood and colorduke like this.
  4. Robin

Robin Member

This reminds me of the last CB White I bought, smoked a couple of pipes, and threw in the trash, maybe I should give it another shot........ :)

5. Dr Dover

Dr Dover Member

I revisited Borkin Riff last month. Back story, it was one of my first go to blends when I first started smoking. Not to be rude, but my fellow Marines in my unit used to call my pipe the "turd burner", because of the smell Riff gave off. To me, I just enjoyed the blend. Since I didn't know anything about different blends, I thought that that was as good as it got. A few trials later and the "turd burner" went away.... until last month. I found Riff to be as bad as it was when I left it. The remaining tobacco was dumped into water to seep as organ weed control!

rondel65 and Robin like this.
  6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

NO! don't do it - it's in the right place!:ohyh:
    OT

Smokey, Thuber88, Spillproof and 4 others like this.
  7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Watch the E.P.A. doesnt find out you did that!!!!

Thuber88, Robin and TWolf like this.
  8. Dr Dover

Dr Dover Member

Really? I got that out of a Organ Gardening Book.

Thuber88 and MakDragon like this.
  9. Tycho

Tycho Member

I remember when I first smoked Borkum Riff Bourbon about 20 years ago (rolled cigarettes back then) and I really loved it. I have heard that the blend has changed since. Borkum Riff was one of the first I tried when I started smoking and the taste was very bland. Because of that I did some research and found out of the change.

You can get quite close to the original taste by adding some Remy Martin VSOP in to the pouch and let it sit for a week or two.

I use a small glass vial to heat up about 3ml of that stuff until the alcohol has dissipated leaving just a hair under 2ml. That amount has proven to be enough to keep 50g of tobacco from getting overly damp.

Robin likes this.
  10. Moose

Moose Active Member

I got a four pack sampler of all the BR tobaccos thrown into an order here a while back. While not my favorite, it will do in a pinch. I can't tast any bourbon in the tobacoo. They must add it just for the essence when you open the bag the first time.

BTW, no stones cast here :)

Robin likes this.
  11. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Gotham City, this is Tongue Bite Central, over........

Robin and Thuber88 like this.
  12. ted

ted Member

I was a BR smoker from 1966 till 1991.. Gradually evolved to BR Rum.

IMHO PS #38 Highland Whisky is as close to the way BR should taste as anything I've found.. ted

Robin and Thuber88 like this.
  13. bosun

bosun Active Member

Borkum Riff Whiskey way back when it came in a metal can. Superceded by Captain Black when it was the new thing on the block! Now it's Stokeby Golden Dansk and Sugar Barrel. Tastes and blends both change. Some to the good, some to the bad..

Robin likes this.
  14. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I still have a 6oz metal can of BR,with the $1.25 sticker on it.

Robin and Smokey like this.
  15. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I thought that the BR Whiskey was the best of the line, and I thought it had an alright taste and room note. Nothing great, but nothing horrific. However, no matter how slow I sipped it made my tongue feel like it was being roasted in the very fires of Hay-deez. If I was to ever come across a pouch locally, I'd probably give it another go. However, it's nothing I'd special order.

Robin and jason1977 like this.
  16. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Downtown Hades on Gehenna Blvd~!!!

RTOdhner and Robin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.