Borkum Riff USA customer service

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by GregL, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregL

GregL Member

Well, this may be a fool's errand but I thought I would give it a shot.

After reading several seemingly positive articles about BR's takeover by STG and the latter's promise to "revitalize" the former, I picked up a pouch of BR Bourbon Whiskey. It was dry, harsh, and flavorless. So, yesterday I packed it up and sent it, along with the receipt, to the address listed on the pouch. I included a note which said, in short, "if this is the 'revitalized' BR you can keep it and I'll have nothing to do with it, but, if this is a leftover/old pouch, I'm willing to give a fresh one another go."

We shall see what, if anything, happens.

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm unfamiliar with this, but often the 'changeover' is noticeable on the package, even if it's only the small 'Manufactured by...' statement. You may have been able to tell just by reading the pouch.

Honestly...I gotta ask...what are you hoping to gain here? Your negative perception of it's taste isn't the company's fault, new or old.

Elwin likes this.
  3. woody

woody Admin Admin

I would send it back too. They over charge for BR. It may take some time but I bet they will send you something in return.

4. GregL

GregL Member

Yeah, I hesitated at first because they wanted five bucks for the pouch. At that price I might as well have gotten the Captain. I just did some quick math, with tax BR works out to be $3.57/oz in the pouch. Why buy BR, no matter how 'revitalized' it is when, for that price per ounce, you can get Boswell's, PW&W, etc?

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I hope they do restore it to the quality it had back in the 70's,. It was great stuff and I have fond memories of it.

6. GregL

GregL Member

Unf9rtunately, the manufacturer info wasn't really indicated on the pouch, the only info I could find was the importer's and that was only visible upon opening the pouch.

Relative to the taste, I didn't perceive ANY taste, except hot ash. Additionally, the tobacco was dry. Further, in this day and age of consumer apathy and e-mails, I wanted to take the time to demonstrate that there was someone who was so utterly dissatisfied by their product that they would take the time actually to write a letter AND mail back the unused portion as opposed to chalking it up to experience and chucking it in the trash. I am not looking to "gain" anything, I was expressing my utter dissatisfaction with the quality of a manufacturer's product in a manner not often employed these days.

7. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I'm guessing you got a bad pouch. They'll probably send you a fresh one or a coupon or something.

8. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Damn...and I was just going to buy some today!:bag:

Ted Vig likes this.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm guessing you got a bad pouch. It will probably be replaced by an equally bad pouch.

gunsmoke, Stoked, Mike Pomery and 9 others like this.
  10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

When I buy pouches in a store I open them after I purchase them right there in the store and make sure they are fresh, if not, I get a refund before I leave the store, I did that just the other day with a pouch of SWRA that was dried out when I opened the pouch, they refunded my purchase no problem, I let them return the bad merchandise for credit or replacement. ;)

MakDragon and GregL like this.
  11. GregL

GregL Member

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely do this in the future.

12. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

I do the same. Just did it with the pouch I bought of Half&Half I got at the local drugstore yesterday. The lady behind the counter looked at me like I was nuts. I think she thought I was gonna light up in the store. haha

13. woody

woody Admin Admin

Just checked and BR is 8.99 + tax, total = 9.70 in my local store. I would definitely want a refund.

14. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I've been pondering giving BR another go as I havn't smoked it for 20+ years. They want $10.99 for it in my local pharmacy! Online it sells for $6-$7 so i'll include a pouch when I do my next baccy order. I will be interested to hear the outcome of your customer service adventure.

15. GregL

GregL Member

Wow, and to think I balked at five bucks!

16. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm thinking that one of the busiest jobs in the world would be a Borkum Riff customer service rep. So some practice is in order:

"I'll send you a prepaid return envelope... I'll send you a prepaid return envelope... I'll send you a prepaid return envelope... I'll send you a prepaid return envelope... ad infinitum...."

Mington likes this.
  17. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I paid $6.79 the other day at the local B&M.
    (Still haven't tried it yet) heh:confused:

18. Stoked

Stoked Member

I've found that BR mixes well with CH. 99% CH and 1% BR. :ngty:

Mington likes this.
  19. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I was going to try a bit of this stuff, actually, but if it is how you describe it, then I shall not waste the money.....However, many people have stated that Mixture 79 is people, but we all love it.........:bing:

GregL likes this.
  20. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

$9.70 for BR? STG can KMA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.