1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Bought my first "decent" pipe tonight

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bahnzo, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

I have a cob, and a Dr. Grabow that I absolutely hate (not the cob, actually like that) so I bought this tonite....
    Mario Grandi

Looks nice, I like the freehand style, the reviews of their pipes are favorable and the price was right. To quote Tom Petty..The waiting is the hardest part.

So...for my next pipe I think want a clencher/chin hanger style pipe. Something that I can smoke while typing or doing some work around the shop..ie: keep my hands free to do other things. Any ideas? $100 is about my limit, willing to go a little higher for the exact perfect pipe, but around $100 or less works best.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait......

2. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

Very cool pipe!!!! I like the free hands myself! Check out Boswell pipes. They run a bit more than $100 usually, but are great smokers. Hey makes all kinds of shapes. Go to Boswell Website to check out some of his work and tobacco blends. His pipes often show up on ebay too and most go for under $100.

3. pottsy

pottsy Member

I have a Mario Grandi, and it is a very good smoking pipe. That's a really good looking one as well.

4. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Hope it smokes good for you. Your new pipe has the look of a fine, expensive briar. Good job!
    Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

For a clencher/hanger, check out a Savinelli Roma model 614. Super comfy pipe.

6. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

I really like the Boswells too, and they are generally right there in my allowable price range. The problem is they go FAST. I have to try his blends out sometime also, nothing but good things I hear about them.

The Mario Grandi's seem to have a very good rep (some earlier stuff I found about their cheaper pipes wasn't exactly glowing) and watching their YouTube vids kinda sold me. While they aren't exactly hand-made, they don't seem mass produced either. If what they claim about each pipe being made by one person is true, that's good enough for me. The fact that one person sees the production of each pipe thru to the end makes me feel they tend to have some pride in their product.

7. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

That Grandi is gorgeous!!! Very nice grab on that chunk of brair!! :thumbsu: If you want a good clencher try a Savinelli Trevi Pipe Rustic - 320 - Ball. I have one and it is so easy to clech the entire bowl, very light weight around 50ish dollars so you can save a little lol, and the bowl on this pipe will not get hot ive tried....it aint happening. For the Boswell pipes good luck they sell out completely any where to like 2 to 5 mins of the pipes being posted.

8. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

That Sav looks a little wierd to me, I want more of a hanger I think. But that's a damn good price. When does Boswell usually post their pipes? Might have to practice getting one before I actually do get one....

The only thing that worries me about the Grandi is the stem. It looks cool, but I'm sure that must be some sort of faux wood on the stem there. Have to wait and see I suppose, but everything else they seemed too big...I'm not sure about getting a HUGE pipe and this one was one of the smaller ones available.

9. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

Boswell pipes are always sold out, I been trying to get one for awhile now, and unless you have perfect timing and get through to him when he lists pipes you're outta luck.

For less then $100 you can get another Mario Grandi that is made a little better, they always have bents listed, and the stems are better on the more expensive ones.

I don't use bents much myself, but the main one I do use and like is a Stanwell 63m Legend, it is a freehand dublin shape but not as big as most Danish Freehands and is easy to clench, I haven't had any gurgling or other issues I get with bents sometimes and it passes a cleaner.

Stanwell 63m
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=72558

10. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

Boswell usually posts his new pipes Thursday mornings, but it usually says when the next posting will be on his site on the pipes for sale page. Luckily I live just over an hour away and when I am ready to buy a new one, I can drive down to the store where they have much more that they do online. Ebay seems to be a pretty good place to pick up an estate boswell.

11. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

12. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

i desperately desperately desperately want a 614, any finish, they are superb!

13. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Bowels are nice but u will have to take off work on a Thursday or just be on their website at 930 am est and click refresh until the page updates

I always put their phone number on my screen so soon as page updates I'm calling em

Have done that every time and have got a pipe everytime I set out for one, only once did they sell one I wanted so I had to Pic another but I was happy with it

14. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

+1 for the 63M and +1 for Savs in general. I'll add a Peterson 306, bent sitter, for your consideration. link

15. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Nice modern pipe you've got yourself there...but as you say waiting for something you really want is truly hard! Enjoy in good health for many years when the new pipe does come,

Best to all

Gerry

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

As with most personal items - when buying a pipe it is always better if you can see and handle prospective purchases - and get a first-hand impression of weight, balance, personal appeal etc. While other folks preferences and pipes can make interesting reading, I have never given them much notice - when making a purchase.

17. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

I agree it's nice to see n inspect the pipe ur going to buy but some ppl like myself don't have the luxury to do so.

Where I live there isn't a decent tobacconist for a least 2 hour drive.

Even then they'll only have savinellis and petersons which is fine they r good pipes and I own several but for a Boswell or Sas even others like Radice Ardor and Mario Grandis u just have to trust a pic and description

18. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Let me see how to put this - Sas is the one person in this world you can trust to adequately represent his product. His standards are sky high and he won't sell an imperfect pipe without at least pointing out every blemish on it. Buying a Sas pipe is definately not taking a risk. It would be easier to get messed over with a pipe you physically inspected before buying, then getting a Sas.

Sas, you owe me 5 bucks for the "Ken Kissing Ass fee". :roflmao:

19. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Right...seems like there's a decent shop or two down in Denver, but that's a drive for me and the stuff locally that I've checked out is pretty week. A hand full of pipes at inflated prices. I agree it's nice to see and hold before you buy, but this is a pipe and not a car so I (and others) are willing to take that chance.

I was in chat tonight and (unfortunately) learned about the Peterson P-Lip. I now have to have one.
    This will be mine....until someone else buys it because I can't justify buying another new pipe yet. But this style looks like what I want. Too bad, look at the grain on this pipe...it's FAST! That grain just looks like it's going 100mph in a rain storm...

20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Damn man .. bag the pete ! What a pipe !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.