1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Bought my first three pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bean, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bean

Bean Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've been thinking about getting a pipe for over a year now, and have done a good amount of research on it (I even used pipe smoking as a topic for a research paper I had to do, the teacher thought it was strange). I just got back from a flea market an hour or so ago, and returned home with 3 pipes (well, 4 technically, but I got a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe for my brother since he wanted it, I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise). I had seen the pipes last time, and contemplated getting them over the week. I finally asked the seller today how much he wanted for them, and I ended up getting them for a dollar a piece. The guy had a bunch of them that I had looked over last week, and I was going to only get one today, but when he said a dollar each, I picked out the ones that I liked the best. One looked decent but had a cracked stem, another was something cheap looking with a glued on shank, 2 were corncobs, and another was a nice briar with a burnt bowl rim. Then there were the three in the best condition that I chose: a straight and bent bulldog (or Rhodesian?) and a straight apple or chimney, not sure on the style. The first two have stamps, and I can't seem to find one on the last one. The bits are somewhat chewed up and broken on the very end of the two bulldogs and one has a few chips missing around the carved line, but the other one is in good condition. All of them have screw on stems, and they all need a good cleaning.
    I'll post pictures in the next post.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Well, they sound like pipes, and the price was right, so....

welcome aboard.

3. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

welcome Bean
    Do your homework (on here is the best place to start) and you'll be ready to clean them up.
    Hope they turn out real nice.

4. Bean

Bean Member

Here's some pictures of them. I have more here- http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh108/Bett_174/Random Stuff/Pipes/
    There's photos of the stamps on the two, and of different angles and closeups.
    [​IMG]
    This one's a bit raggedy, chips off the bowl and bit. All is says is Aged Alegrian Briar on it.

[​IMG]
    Anyone know anything about this one? It's an LHS Purex. I couldn't find much information on the company, since it went out of business in the 50s.

[​IMG]
    This one has no markings besides the orange dot on the stem. The briar has a nice burl grain though.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Pretty cool to buy 3 pipes to start . Ya know , the cob pipes smoke very good and you can get a new one cheap [ I like these .. http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=cob2952 } . They may look " hillbillyish " , if ya care , but might suprise the hell out of you with how good and cool they smoke . Wellcome to PSF and I hope you enjoy your pipes ! Oh , if there's a pipe shop near by see if they can buff your pipes for you . If not ya gotta do it yourself . Hey ...those will clean up fine !!! You scored pal

6. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

COOOL!
    I wish I had some fleemarkets around here that sold some pipes.
    Nice stuff!
    Seems like with a little TLC, you will be off to a good start.
    Do you have an idea of what kind of tobacco you might like? or where to start??

7. Cobra

Cobra Member

I like your bent bulldog. :thumbsu:

8. ted

ted Member

Mr Bean, I would really like you to tell me (probably already have) every mark on the Purex. I'm pretty certain that is a Grabow/HLT pipe made shortly after WWII.
    Is there a number? Could be anywhere, but 36, 50,69,9450,etc. Thank you for showing it. ted

9. Bean

Bean Member

Thanks for all the replies.
    I never really thought of smoking a corncob pipe, as I tend to like old, long-lasting things. Still, I might try one someday.
    I don't know what tobacco I'll start off with. I probably won't be smoking these for a while, as my folks don't really agree with smoking, and I don't think they'd listen to any logic about pipes being generally safer than cigarettes (which killed my grandfather). I did have some blend in mind last year.. I think it was some Virginia mix. I was telling my brother about aging tobacco today, and he suggested I buy a tin now and let it sit till I get a chance to smoke it. Hey, might be a good idea.
    I'll have to inspect the LHS Purex some more. I can't seem to find any numbers on it right now. The stamp says..
    LHS (in the diamond logo) PUREX
    Superfine
    Imported Briar
    I have a close up image of the stamp in the album link I posted. The only other marking I can see is the white bar on the stem. Where would the number be placed, if there was one?

10. ted

ted Member

OOps. I thought the Purex was the Billiard on the bottom. The only pipe maker that I know of that used orange as a T/M material was Grabow, and Purex was not a name that I recognized. Please more information about the billiard on the bottom. It might be a real find. Thank You... ted

11. Bean

Bean Member

Well, there's not all too much I can say about that pipe, but I can try. The orange dot is the only marking I can find. It has a screw on stem, like the others, but it doesn't have a metal filter in it (the other two do). You can see the shape of the stem in the pictures in the link I posted, though I can take a few more if necessary. The finish seems to be a buffed wax and I'm not sure, but it might have a light stain. The tiny chips on the edge of the bowl are almost the same color as the outer surface.
    Is there any other place, besides the stem, where stamps are usually put? I wonder if the stem is original to the pipe itself, since I can't find any other markings.

12. ted

ted Member

Mr Bean, I appreciate you taking the time. I've looked at the pictures and cannot make a determination. The aluminum tenon is a Grabow, and the T/M is probably a Grabow, the shape and stem are most probably Grabow.

If it walks like a duck, waddles, and quacks, its probably a duck. I cannot remember a pipe like this though. Thanks for the mental exercise.

By the way, 3 great pipes. Enjoy them.... ted

13. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Can't wait to see you breathe some new life into them.

14. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Great score! Even if only one is smokable you made out good at a buck each.

Don't overlook/underestimate those MM Cobs. I can almost gay-run-tee you won't be dissapointed at throwing down around $5.00 for one after you taste a bowl of good weed in one. :cheers:

15. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and welcome aboard!

You've made a great start at the price you found those - also wish we'd flea markets like that round here!

Enjoy the pipes in good health for many years to come!

Best to all

Gerry

16. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Arghem, should we call you Mr Bean...... Either way I think you have scored well here.... A dollar apiece... How could you loose.
    Welcome and I hope you enjoy those pipes, like ruff said get em buffed and you will feel like a millionaire.
    Cheers, you have an eye for a bargain.

17. Bean

Bean Member

Thanks for all the well-wishing.
    I cleaned all three pipe bowls the other day. I don't have a proper pipe reamer, but a small picket knife and a reamer like drill bit with a rounded end (which happened to fit the pipes oddly well, and even had an other end that looked like a tamper) that my grandfather had once milled did the trick. One pipe was already pretty clean, but the other two had a really thick cake on them. The bent bulldog gained maybe a fourth of an inch to it's inside diameter after I cleaned it up. I left a millimeter or so of cake in each. The other night I did a salt-isopropyl alcohol treatment on each bowl. The billiard may have gotten a hairline crack through the rim from it, but I'm not sure if it was there before. It's not even a fourth inch down the bowl, so I'm not going to worry about it right now. The bowls smell all fresh now instead of like stale tobacco buildup, but I might try an activated carbon treatment too, just to test it out. I cleaned the stems out the other day as well with alcohol. I managed to remove the stingers off of the two stems that had them, and there was a lot of caked on crap that I was able to clean out because of that. I tried polishing one with a bit of baking soda, which seems to work quite well. I also tried to fix up the chewed down stem, which worked at first, but then I made it worse by trying to repair the crack, and I got a wad of paper lodged in it (I was using wire and paper towel in the place of pipe cleaners.. I should have used cloth). I still have plans to mess around with it a bit more to see if I can get it repaired. I don't like to give up when repairing things, even if it'd be less work to buy something new. I'll post some more pictures after everything's all fixed up and polished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.