Breaking in a cob?

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by Sick Sig, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sick Sig

Sick Sig Member

I bought my first MM Cob today and some CH to smoke. Can someone tell me how to break in a new cob? Do I just pack it full and go or what?

Thanks

2. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Member

Pack. Light. Enjoy.

3. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

That's how I do it. Just pay attention the first few bowls that you don't allow the cob itself to burn and once it gets a nice char built up you'll be good to go. I also don't allow the shank at the bottom of the chamber to burn away, but I know that opinion is not universal. Enjoy! Scott

4. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

Ernest, bubbagump, SidStavros and 3 others like this.
  5. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

SidStavros and Sick Sig like this.
  6. Sick Sig

Sick Sig Member

Thanks for the tips, I look forward to packing it up.

7. UncleVint

UncleVint Member

Like Jimmy and Scott said, just pack it normally and let the inside of the bowl char. Then wipe out the bowl before you smoke it again. Most guys dont let a cake build up as it can swell and crack the cob.

Sick Sig likes this.
  8. Sick Sig

Sick Sig Member

I smoked the first bowl full and have to say I'm pretty impressed. This was also my first time trying Carters Hall and I liked it also. I can see a Cob becoming one of my favorites.

Ephraim, MakDragon and User4408 like this.
  9. User4408

User4408 Member

That's an interesting point, which hopefully some cob experts here might weigh in on.

I've heard of some cob smokers who deliberately build up a cake to seal cracks. In one case it seemed like a cob was nearly split in half, and came back to life by means of a nice cake buildup.

Too much cake might be a problem though, as you say. And it interferes with loading capacity. I like cake, and look forward to developing it in my cobs. But every month or so, I'll trim 'em down with a quick swipe of my Kleen Reem. I have to do this anyway because of the buildup in the shank, which can seriously restrict the airflow.

Coastal Bend, UncleVint and Sick Sig like this.
  10. jdto

jdto Active Member

I like to tamp the ash down around the edges of the shank in the bowl. I don't use the sharp end of the pipe tool, just the tamp. I've found it helps to get it into the little crevices on the sides of the shank and get the bottom nice and caked up.

User4408 likes this.
  11. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

Smoke the living crap out of it. The most wonderful thin about cobs is the fact that they can take a hell of a beating. Don't let the bowl build cake and your good to go.

Ephraim and MakDragon like this.
  12. User4408

User4408 Member

That's a great idea.

Only one of my cobs developed a yawning gap at the bottom of the bowl below the draft hole. This forced me to go through the whole pipe mud ritual. Which worked really well, but it's better not to have to go through that.

Speaking of pipe mud ... even though I got the recipe way too soupy, it still dried hard as a rock after 2 days. Solid protection for the bottom of the bowl as well.

Aristocob and jdto like this.
  13. jdto

jdto Active Member

I've mudded the bottom of a few cobs and it does work really well. I used well-sifted fireplace ash and water, as I read somewhere (perhaps right here on PSF) that it cures harder and faster than cigar ash. I have to say, using this ash I've had great results with the mud I've used on several different pipes over time, corn or wood.

User4408 and sillyoldbear like this.
  14. AustinLM

AustinLM Member

I read that as well. Must have been somewhere on PSF as I remember it being called "pipe cement" instead of "pipe mud".

Enjoy the cob to the fullest extent your tongue will allow and get more as soon as you can. I've never met a cob I didn't like. ...Well.... except for the MM "spools"

jdto likes this.
  15. jdto

jdto Active Member

That's right..."pipe cement".
    From this post, right here: Pipe Mud Efficacy

User4408 likes this.
  16. AustinLM

AustinLM Member

:th1: How much digging did that take?

17. jdto

jdto Active Member

A search and a bit of scrolling, not too bad :D

18. User4408

User4408 Member

That's a great read. And if I were pickier about my cob protocols, I'd go fireplace ash.

When I was collecting ash for mud, I'd use only pure filtered Virginia ash. Under the questionable assumption that since Virginia has always built the best rock-hard cakes, it'd work best for mud as well. The assumption is faulty because it's actually the burning sugars that probably build the cake, and none of that remains behind in ash.

The article also shows the pipe mud to be very clumpy, which mine was not. And I frankly can't imagine anything drying much harder than the soupy mud I brewed up. When I hit the bottom cake with the bare tamper or pick, it makes a sharp click and has absolutely no give. And that's good enough for me.

We actually have a fireplace here in Tucson, but it never gets used. I have a ton of pipe ash but no fireplace ash. So that's another vote against pipe cement for me.

jdto likes this.
  19. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I agree with UncleVint for the most part.
    The only Cob of the many I've had that developed deep cracks had a thick (just under nickle size) cake buildup. It was a MM Legend, and even though the cracks didn't go all the way through the bowl it was close enough that I decided to retire it from my rotation.
    A couple other of my very old cobs have developed light cracks on the exterior (which is normal as they age), but it doesn't effect the way they smoke at all and they should be in my rotation for a few more years at least.

With my "newer" cobs (over the past few years), I've allowed them to char and develop a very thin cake. But I won't allow it to get as thick as I would a briar pipe.
    Hope that helps a bit Sick Sig :puffy:

20. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I can't emphasize this one enough. Early on, I was prone to packing the bowls WAY too tight. The result was me getting frustrated and putting flame to the tobacco every .5 seconds. CH is the perfect blend to start with though. It's very forgiving.

Ephraim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.