1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking in a new briar with...aromatics?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DanielMelange, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Okay. I may be stepping on some toes here with the topic, but I just ordered myself a Peterson Tankard (see below) and I'm wondering a bit about the breaking in procedure. I've never thought about it back when I used to smoke pipe more frequently, I just smoked and was happy with it and the pipe didn't seem to fare any worse from it.

However, I read a bit about it online and it seems like a majority of people recommend breaking in the pipe with only burley, whereas some prefer other things. Now, the thing is, I will only smoke aromatics (and probably limit myself to one blend) in this pipe, do you, pipe gurus of the internet, think that breaking in a pipe with an aromatic would be a bad idea? What are your thoughts and experiences?

(if I'd ever garner a flavour for other tobaccos I could always get another pipe, though I wouldn't want to ruin this one if there is something about breaking in versus aromatics that I'm unaware about, aside from it catching the taste)

[​IMG]

2. Longbottom

Longbottom Member

Well, I´ve got 12 pipes, all of them smoked in with more or less aromatic tobaccos. And I can´t see any harm done to them. If you are going to use the new pipe exclusively for aromatics, I actually can´t see what harm it could do. The problem would otherwise be that the aromatics could "ghost" the pipe and make other tobaccos taste funny. I´ve also heard some people say that smoking in a pipe with aromatics creates a worse cake, but I have never during my 12 years of pipesmoking had any problem with that.

So all in all: it shouldn´t be a problem.

3. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I've only recently started smoking burleys. All my older pipes were broken in mostly in aros and mild English. They are still doing fine for me these days even though I don't do aros very often.

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Go for it. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

5. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

What Arkie said!

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Old Codger likes this.
  7. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Thanks a lot for your replies guys. I guess when going from a basket pipe which nary cost me a dime to something with a bit more money invested (especially considering student budget) I'm a bit more hesitant over making mistakes.

Now only two things left to do, wait for the pipe to arrive, light up a bowl and start making a nice bespoke stand for it.

Tony Malerich and Old Codger like this.
  8. krusty

krusty Active Member

Carry on in that fashion then! (-:

9. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Think you might see a pattern here. Does it really matter how fast you build a cake if your careful with it? Main thing is to enjoy it! Let it dry properly between smokes, run a cleaner thru it, and enjoy it! Aros may smoke a bit more moist than other baccys so be sure to empty the ash after each smoke and shouldn't have a problem. And by the way, Beautiful pipe!

Coastal Bend likes this.
  10. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

I'm not really concerned about building a fast cake anyhow. This is a pipe which will be smoked once to twice a day at most, and I'm a notoriously slow smoker regardless. Glad to hear people have had success with aromatics in this sense, I'm less concerned than I was before.

11. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It is a beautiful pipe. It will serve you very well for an entire lifetime and, if you are like me, you will get more fond of it through the years.

12. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Great looking pipe!
    I'm far from an experienced pipe smoker but like whats mentioned above, smoke what you want through it. I don't see there being a problem breaking it in with aros if that's all youre planning on smoking through it.

13. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I don't usually care for tankards or pokers, but that is a very nice looking pipe! You really have to try hard to hurt briar, so I wouldn't worry about what you break it in with. My Petes have been a little slow to break in though, so you might still run a few partial bowls through it at first. I also tend to stir up the ash at the end of my smoke, put my thumb over the bowl and shake the ash around to coat the inside, dump out the extra, and run a cleaner through the stem. This seems to get a good cake started pretty quickly.

14. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I treat a new pipe like an old pipe.
    I fill it with whatever I want to smoke, and smoke it.

IF it can't take the heat/abuse, it won't work in my rotation.

15. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

I would only offer one bit of advice on what I would avoid. I would be hesitant to smoke one of the very moist tobaccos such as the CAO flavored (Vanilla, Cherrybomb) etc. Personally would like a decent cake in the pipe before trying one of them. And I want to echo the post that mentioned Petes' sometimes take some time to build a cake. Bought one a couple of months ago and its still not completely broken it.

Basil Meadows likes this.
  16. Morse

Morse Active Member

I smoke aros most of the time. When I get a new pipe, that's what I smoke in it - you should be fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.