1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking in my stefano but why 24 hrs?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WrightwoodJohn, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Just purchased a gorgeus Stefano Exclusive, unsmoked. So I looked up your tips on breaking her in and went with a very light honey application, 3/4 bowl, light puffing, EMP, and of course took it down to the bottom. Smoked beautifully, can't wait to reload. So why the 24 hr recommended wait? Seems like once the pipe has completely cooled, should be ready to go? Kindly await your responses, sorry if this subject was brought up before.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think the idea of 24 hours is that the pipe gets to dry out. IF you are successfully smoking to the bottom and the pipe isn't getting sogged, then I tend not to worry about this too much. I've taken new pipes and just smoked the hell out of them with no ill effects. However, letting the thing dry out thoroughly once in awhile is not going to hurt it. You know if a pipe is needing rest because it will start to smell kind of sour.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  3. WrightwoodJohn

Thanks Sas!

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

24hrs.?......NONSENSE!

5. WrightwoodJohn

It looks like thats exactly what your avatar would be saying....!! LOL

6. Jay

Jay Active Member

I'll sometimes smoke a pipe exclusively all day. Actually I do this regularly, then I give it a day or so to dry out. So, heck yah smoke that puppy until she barks!

whitebriar likes this.
  7. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I couldn't do it because I'm a 'wet' smoker. But, if you don't have the same problem, I don't see why you can't smoke it after a it's completely cool.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Letting a pipe dry out aint a bad idea .. but .. smoking the heck out of it and showing it who's boss aint bad either . When it's had enough , it'll let ya know ... and then you know where each stands:)

Chuck S likes this.
  9. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

When I was breaking in my first pipe, there was no way I waited 24 hours between smokes. I'd usually give it an hour or two to dry/cool off, and that was about it for a few weeks between that pipe and a couple of cobs for my next purchase. I never noticed any problems with doing that, just tried to make sure the pipe wasn't getting too hot with each smoke, and went from there.

Old Ted likes this.
  10. WrightwoodJohn

Hate to ask this but here it goes...what's a 'wet' smoker?

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

If you smoke real fast, or use really wet tobacco, sometimes the pipe is unable to compensate, and instead of placidly boiling off, the water starts to sit at the heel of the pipe, and in the worst cases, makes things to wet to smoke at all, and leaves the pipe pretty wet. In this case, I think resting IS required.

The opposite is a dry smoker - I smoked a big wad of Scottish Cake last night, took about 2 hours. It burns clean and easily, and the pipe was basically dead dry when I ran a cleaner afterwards... just a hint of moisture condensation in the stem. That very pipe I am using again tonight.

12. WrightwoodJohn

Thanks, I'm on the dry side of town..

13. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Well...;)

Either from not drying tobacco enough, smoking quickly, a poorly made pipe, or a lot of saliva, (usually a combination) a lot of moisture will collect in the shank/bottom of the bowl, causing a 'gurgling' sound. A lot of moisture buildup without letting the pipe dry can give the pipe a funky smell/taste

14. WrightwoodJohn

Thanks...maybe I'm a little in between, although I figure everybody gets some gurgle. I'm definetly trying to pick well made pipes. I did let the Stefano rest last night and smoked it this afternoon, hard to pack a half bowl so I filled her up. I like large bowls, a good handful of pipe. This one has a bowl about 1 7/8 deep, enjoyed it for about an hour & ten minutes to finish.

15. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Yeah, I've got one pipe that always gets some kind of gurgle. Never really bad, but always needs a pipecleaner about 3/4ths of the way through the smoke. My other pipes just don't gurgle, so I tend to assume its one of those things that is mostly the pipe.

16. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

How wide is the chamber? 1h10m seems really short of a smoke for a chamber that big.

17. WrightwoodJohn

7/8 with some taper.....I don't believe it was 100 % full bowl though, what do you think?

18. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

That's a short smoke for that big of a bowl.

I've got one that's about that size. After 1h30m I'm over it, and it's about 3/4 done.

Definitely try to slow down your puffing cadence a bit.

19. WrightwoodJohn

Thanks, I enjoy it so much I do think I'm hitting too often sometimes.. and it's a 9mm filter pipe so it's easy to do so..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.