1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Briars, a slight return.........

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Don't know why I did it but this weekend I decided to just smoke briars. I guess I've finally heard the briar sirens voices singing out saying "come spend some time with us". So, I'm doing just that.

I've been enjoying the smokes so far and am very happy I came back to them but not quite sure they will take the place of my love & lust for cobs. I was going to post on Monday (tomorrow) about my experiences and my opinion(s) but I figured to be a touch more scientific in this situation. My intent is to smoke the same toby in a similar sized bowl briar vs. cob. I know that there still are way too many variables in this semi-shootout but it's the best I can do "seat of the pantz" sort of.

Bottom line (at least for now), I enjoy my briars and I enjoy my cobs (and meers too)! They all have their applications, strengths, and weaknesses. Most of all, I'm glad I have the choice. But now, I'm feeling as if I'm suffering from "Cob D.T.s", I almost grabbed a cob off the rack lastnight and almost did the same this morning.......must have been reflexive :velho: Well, I plan on continuing with the "All Briar Weekend" and today is yet another day! :ass:

Onward!

:D
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'll be here with my ears on, Ed! I'm curious to see how this plays out, especially now...(I have just recently found a tobacco that smokes better in a briar, going against my notions that cobs and meers are the unrivaled shiznit!).

3. Stoked

Stoked Member

I agree with Yin. I've found some toby just smokes better out of a briar. Some smoke better out of a cob, and at one point when I first got my meer I thought everything smoked better in a meer but I've repented of that. I count the Calabash as another factor, even though it uses meer. Some tobaccos are better in the Calabash, some I prefer with a briar.

It really depends on the tobacco. I know you like VA's Puff. I've found my one briar amazing when it comes to VA's, the other one is not so good. I really don't care for VA in a cob though.

I suppose this is why our hobby offers many choices for pipes, and there are so many collectors of pipes. There appears to be an endless number of combinations for tobacco pleasure, and that's why I keep a spreadsheet otherwise I'd get confused.

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

Tis true! I smoke meerschaum abt. 90% of the time. I found that Solani ABF is more enjoyable in briar - to me! Just doesn't taste as good in meerschaum.

Will

5. Puff The Magic

So far gents, the briars all smoked as I'd remembered, maybe even better than I remembered. Quite enjoyable so far and I've got a few more in my racks to go before I get all the way through them.......then there's the churchwardens to say howdy-doo to. This may just end up going for a 3-day w/biars! I'm having fun doing this and just today at noon, I caught myself saying out loud, "I gotta smoke a cob"! Never knew one could get "cob D.T.s" but I guess when you've smoked cobs for a while with a sprinkling of a briar or meer here and there, well, I'm a prime example! What's worse is I'm the one who committed to this idea! Then I started to feel much better about the entire situation because as a piper, I have the freedom to choose what I wish to smoke and which bowl I wish to smoke it in! That is grande! :velho:

:ass:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

6. erickghint

erickghint Member

Wonderful part about our hobby, isn't it? :thumbsu: Keep us posted on how everything goes, I'm finding this very interesting. :whistle:

7. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Ok i need to find these great cobs yall speak of, I have only ever smoked the typical cheap drug store cob that u get for like 6.99 be that its is a MM but still there bottom line one i guess. And for me the way it smoked was just like sluming it from my briars, am i missing out???? Are there better cobs out there that i could be just passing by out of sheer ignorance??? If so please save me from my own self desturctive path so to speak..........:whistle:

8. Puff The Magic

Jake Hackert, his cobs are professionally "Hot Rodded" MM cobs, some with antler or oak shanks. Nice designs & mods to standard MM's, hard and nicely shaped vulcanite stems.

Walker Bros Briarworks, his are also professionally "Hot Rodded" MM cobs, some with wide steel bands instead of the small bell grommet MM uses, and coupled with a Forever Stem (lucite OR vulcanite). Many many options at Walker Bros. You can literally pick your MM cob, and dress it out how you wish. Stem length, color, style, wide band or standard, etc. Many choices.

The above two are considered by Puff to be well above "cob benchmark".

The industry standard and benchmark is MM. Great cobs, great service, Marilyn is GOLDEN! They do have some areas for improvement (and are working on them) but for the price as low as it is, nothing can touch 'em!

Stay away from the imported corn pipes. They're great for props, snowmen, and scarecrows but I wouldn't smoke 'em. I made a grave mistake and bought 3 on ebay and 2 of the 3 crushed in my hand just under good but not intense pressure (making a fist with the pipe in my hand). I was so disgusted, I threw the 3rd one in the trash along with the destroyed two. The crushed ones had worm holes and dust throughout the bowl. They must've filled in with putty/plaster areas where the holes were visible because they did look nice on the outside. Glad I didn't smoke 'em!

I do smoke standard or completely stock MM cobs as well. Mainly the Prides and Legends. Sort of gives me a direct comparison with the other more modded or "Hot Rodded". Just for my comparisons, not to knock anyone or anything.............except for the imported unsmokables IMO.

:thumbsu:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

9. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Well i am defiently gonna look into some of those, all my life when i thought of pipes n stuff i had always had the mental picture of a cob, be it popeye or frosty runing around with a cob ever preasent in there mouth, just think if i could get a good one like you wrote about i could see myself becomeing a cob head, they just hold some pull over me i cant really explain it.

10. Puff The Magic

I totally understand!

:thumbsu:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Bubba, I was in your same frame of mind a couple of months ago. I never gave a cob pipe a second thought, thinking they were low end starter pipes. After reading post after post about how much PSF members loved their cobs, I sought their advice and made a purchase. I bought a pair of Diplomats from MM and a Walker Forever bent stem. One cob in the package went to a friend, so cost for the pipe was $8 and the stem was $19.

I've smoked about a dozen bowls in it, and I do like it. One of the things I like most is that I've smoked several different tobaccos in it and the flavors do not bleed over much. I use it as my test pipe on new tobaccos. I would also like to buy a 2nd cob and use it as my off-road pipe, when I am trail riding and don't want to risk damaging or loosing an expensive briar.

That said, a cob will never replace a briar in my heart. I love the look, feel and other properties of briar. To dedicate a favorite blend to a briar is a wonderful experience. As the briar pipe ages, the flavor of your dedicated blend intensifies, and mellows at the same time.

I enjoy my cob, I'm happy I purchased it, and I will probably get a second one. I don't they a cob would ever replace my affinity for briars, and their qualities and endearments, though.

12. yinyang

Cobs, while they look, ahem, rustic...are awesome! They ain't called Missouri Meerschaum for nothing! Their smoking qualities are what make them worth the trouble of looking like a bumpkin...assuming this concerns you. Yeah, Walker and Hackert make them that much nicer!

13. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Well Yinyang i am a bumpkin, iz be a redneck lol. So the way i look with a cob would be very fiting, and im one to not care for what others think of me as long as i like what i do. So this said i will buy me a good cob and if i like it as much as i think i will i will probally buy many more to follow!!

14. Stoked

Stoked Member

It took me a long time to buy a cob simply because they are so inexpensive I thought they were a cheap trick and junky. But once I found out how great they smoke I realized they are the best value around for a pipe. Not to mention how endearing they become on a fishing trip when you don't really care if you wind up losing it in the water. Well, don't mind THAT much anyway...

[​IMG]
    What, me worry?

15. Puff The Magic

Ok, I'm done. I called the "Weekend of Briars" to a close for Puff. I smoked a cob (an oldie, '40's-ish MM) and it was outstanding! Dry smoke, very tastee, no gurgle at all, just what I've grown accustomed to. I did learn several things by going without my cobs for just 2 days........I don't want to do it again! Learned something else, I ought to smoke my briars more but my hand (and eyez) still go towards the cobs. I guess there's no cure for cobaholism. It's terminal!

I could taste all of the flavors I was looking for in my briar-toby combos but as I was smoking them, I felt as if the flavor was not as strong or as pronounced, sort of "muted" I'd say. But the flavors were there and I was not disappointed at all. It was a crazy trial/experiment and for me, I'll never do that again! I'll smoke what I want to in whatever I wish to smoke. But I do plan on getting the briars off the bench and into the game more often. Gotta play the team.........

:roflmao:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

16. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

The cob man comeith lol, now when i get into my cobs i will know who to come to for advice, Puff The Magic Cob Man :roflmao:

17. yinyang

Ha! Cobaholism. Yeah, even after finding a tobacco that likes briar better, I found out that a Pete System pipe I have 'mutes' (your word, Ed) almost every open tobacco I've tried in it. The variations between pipes, tobacco, and their individual smoking qualities is about to drive me batty! Guess there is worse things to concern myself over, but dayum!

18. yinyang

You have been warned! They smoke clean and pure like a meer, but cost umpteen dollars less. With a Walker stem in place, they even look cool. I have two Hackert's, and absolutely love their looks and smokeability. enjoy!

19. Puff The Magic

btw guyz, there is a Hackert Patriot (oak shank, vulcanite stem) on the bay now...........I bought the other one! :startle: Jake usually posts his "availables" on the weekends (Sundays more specifically). Otherwise, drop him an email and you'll get yours without having to deal with evil-pay!

:geek:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

20. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Not to take this too far off topic, but I'd be interested to learn what data you find useful to track in your spreadsheet. I was thinking about setting up a way to track information on my pipes and tobaccos, but I couldn't decide what information would be useful and what is more likely worthless bytes....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.