1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Briars, a slight return.........

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

No spread sheet here but I've thought about it. I'd list my pipes down one side, my toby across the top and making entries into each block as they intersect (and I've smoked that toby in that bowl) and comment whether it was good/acceptable/don't do again! You can even make your own "key" and just use symbols as simple as the star rating on TobaccoReviews.com or make up your own. Be quick, nice and easy, excel spreadsheet would work, and a nice referential roadmap so you don't get lost in toby&pipeland. You can get even more sophisticated by indicating how you loaded the bowl (frank, ball, stuff'd, etc.)

:thumbsu:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

D'oh...sometimes the simplest answers make the most sense. A simple chart will fit the bill nicely. I guess I was over-thinking this one. I blame years of training as a government employee trying to find the most complicated answers to the simplest questions. :pc:

Thanks for the eye opener dude... :jawdrop:

3. Puff The Magic

As an OR Nurse, I had to make quick decisions, usually while on the run, to make the surgery "happen" and the outcome be as good if not better than expected. I had to consider all resources available. I just figured this'd work well, easy, can update as needed, and as often as you wished.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. Stoked

Stoked Member

I don't get too technical with it. I just smoke different toby through the different pipes (briar, cob, meer, and Calabash) and see which pipe brings out the best flavor. For example, I find that VA and VA-burley is best in my billiard Sav, but the toby isn't as nice in my bulldog briar, the meer, the Calabash, or cob.

It's really only when your trying new toby that you need to keep track of things otherwise it's easy to forget. Once you've established a pipe selection for a specific toby it becomes habit. But it's always good to keep a spreadsheet, especially when you've got 20 different kinds of toby opened at once, which is the case for me.

Since I favor the Savinelli dry system, I also keep note whether I'm going to smoke the toby with a balsa filter or the adaptor when using the briars.

[​IMG]
    I'm coming dear! Just give me a minute!

5. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

After all this talk about cobs I'm going to go ahead and buy one. I have never smoked one and now I must try it.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Not to mention it would fit your avatar. :thumbsu:

7. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

The stars must be aligned because I've been using my briars as much as my cobs the last few days. I've got nothing to say against either option because I enjoyed them both. If push comes to shove, I'll pick up a cob by instinct because I know what I'll be getting without any fuss. If I want to nurture the bowl and bring out the most flavor, I have to admit, briar is a good choice. Neither is better nor worse.

8. Puff The Magic

+1! I get incredibly good smokes from a briar if I do a fair amount of nurturing, but as you say, cobs give me what I'm looking for most always and without any or minimal fuss.

Good that we have the choice(s)!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

9. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Well i finally did it, I went to my local tobacconist and bought me a standard MM cob and went online and bought a #10 free hand corn cob. So im joining the ranks of cob heads lol.

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

You have done well young weed hopper. You will now need to get a Forever Stem or two.

You know I don't see it as an "either or situation." I have large quantities of both. I don't want this forum to fracture into WOODIES and COBHEADS. Each have there place and deserve equal respect.

Please don't make me have to use "The Management" option. :velho:

11. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

No worries on that for me, i could never choose just one i love both as an equal part. They both have there swwet spots on muh heart, i am a neutral party, i just want to enjoy every aspect of this hobby!!!

12. Puff The Magic

If you took a look at "Puff's Pipe-dom" you'd see I have a soft spot for briars too! I haven't counted but I believe I've got more briars than cobs and I've got a lot of cobs! I know, you're waiting on pics. Well, I'm working on it..........

I value each for what they do or can do. I like meers the least of the 3 but I like meers too. I've even have a hookah! Single hoser but it's still a hookah. Also bought a hookah for my college aged daughter.

I'll smoke what the toby is loaded in.

:dunno:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

edit: hookah "whip" rather than "hose", sorry, terminology :velho:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.