1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Briar's, Meerschaums, Corn Cobs Oh my!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dfrontiera, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfrontiera

dfrontiera Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Hey guys!

Thought I'd throw this out there since you guys give great advice and that's always welcome.
    I'm finally about to buy a Briar or Meerschaum pipe (once I sell some of these computer components I should have plenty of pipe funds)
    I've also already placed an order with Boswell's for an extensive list of tobacco's.
    So while mulling over my decision I've been looking at tons of pipes and I'm debating if I should get a Meerschaum pipe, which I am told are excellent for aromatics, or if I should go with a nice Briar which I definitely love the style of, and am pretty sure they smoke well with everything. I plan to get a lot of use out of this pipe, since I won't be able to get another for a while. That being said, my choice in tobacco's so far has been aromatics and admittedly my order from Boswell's is a lot of aromatics however, I am now starting to look at other types and I have some Virginia's and English blends in my order. I'm pretty sure that a Briar is the way to go but I'd love some opinions before I make a final decision.

Thanks all!
    Keep Smoking!

Briar pipes I'm looking at are here (I love this pipe) and here (this looks like a nice economy pipe) :)

The Meerschaum I'm looking at is here
  2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Deke, I am going to give you my advise from 40 years of pipe smoking.

First off, the eagle pipe while very pretty is made from heather wood, which is not briar. Pipes made from odd woods in my experience smoke very hot, impart their own flavor and are usually not quality pipes having none of the virtues of brair. A meer is a good medium for a pipe, but is an acquired taste, not all of us are fans of them as they can smoke hot and take a lot of care to keep looking good and if dropped, goodbye. You will be best served by a briar pipe and that nice rusticated black pipe would be the best of the three. I would suggest that you get that one, and then also order a couple of cheap MM corn cobs. Corn cobs are a good pipe for next to nothing, your aromatics won't ghost them and if they do not much lost and having cobs will allow you to rest your briar, which is something you will need to do, especially smoking aromatics which tend to be wetter smoking tobaccos. Good luck and hope you enjoy whatever you end up getting.
  3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009

I second Earl's post and can add nothing constructive; he is spot on in his advice, he really is.

Happy smoking!

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Most definitely what StrongIrish said. Not much out there in pipeland that holds a candle to briar (aside from Meer or Cobz). While you're at it, the money you'd save by going with the more economical briar of your choice (above), take the money left over and get a few cobz.......you won't regret it at all. I guarantee.

Meerz on the other hand are great smokerz and have the ability to smoke nearly anything and repeatedly so without putting up a fuss. Do let them dry out after your binge of smoking though and store them so they can dry rather than enclosing them in their case (if they come with one). What was said earlier, if you drop it, there it goes! Maybe a dent, chip, or complete break! Just as bad is a hairline fracture where the bowl may fall apart on you as you're smoking it. So, they are fragile and best to have a backup if you go with the meer. Therefore, if you do get the meer, get some cobz too!

Either way you go, get a cob TOO! :)

I strongly recommend the last statement.

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff
  5. dfrontiera

dfrontiera Member

Oct 28, 2010
    See this is why I post here...great advice. :thankyou:

Thanks guys, I'm really glad I found this site it's been a treasure trove of great information.
    Looks like I'm gonna get that economy Briar and I'm gonna pick up a few more MM cobs too.

Thanks again!
    Keep smoking!
  6. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

May 2, 2010
    The advice I can give is really unfriendly to your pocketbook. Get a wide variety of pipes! Try them all, experiment, and find out what works for you. At first I thought there'd be no way on God's green earth I'd ever be a fan of corn cobs, but now I own several and smoke them regularly. They're workhorses, those pipes.
  7. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I had to get off VSL just a little while ago to keep myself from ordering that pipe. Looks like a good pipe. I've watched most all of the VSL Owner's videos on Youtube, I really doubt he would sell a low quality cheap pipe just to have cheap pipes on his site.
  8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    I like my Paronelli pipe and for the money it's probaly worth every penny. I'd buy it, it's my favorite shape, however its not going to be a Pete or Sav. quality pipe.

Just my $0.02.......
  9. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Oct 26, 2010
    When I started with pipes, I was an aromatic smoker. I got a Peterson 312 system pipe by recommendation of the pipe-shop owner (still my dear friend to this day) because aromatics tend to smoke a little wet. I still have that pipe and love it to death. That being said, that Paronelli is a cutie-pie that would look right at home next to my Butz Choquins (twice the price plus a little more).

Anyway, for aromatics or anything else that will likely smoke wet, a Peterson or other system pipe would be my first choice. Something with a bend to it would be second, in the intrest of keeping the drippins at the bottom of the hill instead of on your tongue.

Meerschaums make a nice gift - to give or to receive. Then you cherish it enough to be careful and not break it. I bought both of mine as cheap "estates" and I abuse them like I abuse corn-cob smokers.

So how about you trade me the computer parts for the old Peterson and I buy the Paronelli to fill the empty slot in my pipe rack? Hmmm... I might even be halfway serious.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.