1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Brigham pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by el guero, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el guero

el guero Member

Does anyone have an info on these? I really like the look of them but even the best looker if it doesn´t smoke well is a dud.

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I've got a Brigham volcano. It has great grain and I like its shape but it's not a good smoker. A pipe cleaner has to be bent a certain way in order to run it thru the draft hole of the bowl.

3. Tanman

Tanman Member

I have a Brigham Mountaineer; have had no problems; good little smoker; just have to remember to change the filter sticks or take them out once in a while and rinse them off. All in all I like it; would probably buy another down the road.

4. BrighamPipes

BrighamPipes New Member

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

No offense, but the thread seems to be asking for people's experience with the performance of the pipes, not where to go to get a good look at them. Further, and please take this in the manner it's intended, that information must come from unaffiliated smokers with experience smoking Brigham pipes...not from people who stand to make money from selling them.

I've considered buying one more than a few times, and I was at the Columbus pipe show and they do look every bit as good in person as in the major internet retailers' pictures. That said, I'm a little put off by the highly unusual filter system. The filters are expensive compared to, say, Savinelli's balsa filters. But Savinelli makes plenty of nice pipes in the same price range, and makes adapters for smokers who don't care to use the filters. They also have a widespread reputation for quality pipes in an affordable price range.

I rarely hear about Brigham pipes and also would like to hear more smokers talk about their experience with the performance quality, because frankly Brigham DOES make attractive pipes and I'd someday like to buy one with relative confidence that I'll be getting a good pipe.

Not to derail the thread, but a question for the apparent representative for Brigham: does your company have any plans to ever produce unfiltered pipes, or would you ever consider doing so? How about an adapter for those who simply don't want to use the filters, but want to smoke a Brigham pipe? Or do either of these exist and I'm simply unaware of them?

Jayson H Bucy likes this.
  6. BrighamPipes

BrighamPipes New Member

Hi Nesta - A decade ago we released a pipe series we called 'Platinum' that did not contain the Brigham System. Unfortunately they didn't sell very well so we discontinued the line. In more recent times we have pondered the nomenclature of our system. In application, the term filter is incorrect in explaining the function of our wood insert. The hollow tube allows for a cleaner to pass through the open channel and no barriers are in place to impead the flow through the pipe. The end result of the Brigham System is a smoke that is cool and dry but essentially unfiltered. Another option is to remove the insert entirely. We have never produced an adaptor for our pipes but now that you mention it we will look into it.

Thanks for your comments!

Eric Pierson likes this.
  7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I've used the original filter for about 6 or 8 months which is admittedly a bit too much. When it gets really discolored I soak it in 180 proof PGA overnight. I'll order some replacements the next time I place an order with an e-tailer although I would think the pipe could be smoked without the filters.

8. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

I've got 6 Brighams...a good pipe they are. While I don't smoke them much anymore, it's not because they aren't decent pipes. I just have others that I prefer. With the exception of one, I found my Brighams to have smallish sized bowls. I prefer a little larger.

The maple filter system is a great idea that truly does what it promises. They maybe a little more expensive than your typical filter...but you can get quite a few smokes out of one filter alone. Simply rinse in hot water and let dry.

One other thing, I've smoked my Brighams without the filter quite successfully. However, I wish that Brigham would make an insert like Savinelli does for those that choose not to use the filters...would make it easier to pass a pipe cleaner straight from bit to bowl that way I think.

9. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

My volcano has a generous sized bowl. It is in my regular rotation and I smoked it tonight. As I said before, I love the looks of it and it's one of my favs. I think they are an excellent value.

10. el guero

el guero Member

thanks for all of the input, I think I will get one but it will be down the road some, if only money grew on trees!

11. Tanman

Tanman Member

Depends on what pin stock you buy; 1 pin are quite reasonable; 3 pins mid-range and 6 pins; well that group will never be in my budget range.

12. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I have a few Brighams in my stable, and they all smoke wonderfully. They are that much better if you can find one of the older, Made in Canada pipes with the aluminum tenon; but the newer models with the plastic (derlyn?) tenon smoke pretty darn well.
    The Brigham filter system is miles ahead of the Sav. balsa filters if you ask me, simply because you can still swab things out with a pipe-cleaner mid-smoke without breaking down your pipe, should the need arise. With a little modification, they can also be used to reduce the draw in other 6mm filter pipes that are like trying to puff on a Howitzer with a bowl on the end (say, a cob).

13. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

Interesting you say you can get a pipe cleaner down one mid-smoke...I've never been able to do that with the filter in using a regular BJ Long.

That said, with the filter in I've also never needed to use a pipe cleaner as the moisture is not a problem.

I agree about preferring the older ones with the aluminum tenons. While I'd consider selling my newer ones, I'll be holding onto my 3 older Brighams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.