1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

BRING ON THE IRISH FLAKE!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I received a tin of University Flake last week, and I've got a tin of Irish Flake on order. I hear the IF was stouter than the UF, but the UF initially kicked my butt. (I'm a bit of a nicotine wimp). Thus, I was a bit leery about trying the IF until I got my arms around the UF.

Four bowls later, I've got the UF dialed-in. My problem, it seems, was not letting it dry properly. Bowl four, UF, last night was the deal maker. I let it dry for about an hour, crumbled/broke it up really well, filled the MM Egg, fired it up, and found myself in toby bliss. Damn good stuff, and none of the side effects I suffered after that first bowl.

Now I'm ready for the IF! If the rumors be true and it's even better than UF, then I'm gonna be one happy camper. However, I am gonna take a cue from the UF and let it dry properly before I fire-up that first bowl full. (In a cob, of course). Bring it on! I'm ready for the IF, but the wait for it to arrive is gonna kill me.

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Someone heeded my advice! I think this is
    a first. Glad you and Uni flake are getting
    along now. ;) IF will make your head spin.
    Just a forewarning.

dp

3. RTOdhner

Sage advice it was. Once the IF gets here, I'm gonna start off by giving it a proper drying-out and then smoking it in my smallest cob - the MM Legend. I do love me some flake, and I do love me some Pete tobies!

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I have both in my cellar. Takes a special
    kind of person to love these flakes. Like....
    .....Kyle.... :rolleyes: Kidding aside, hope you
    really like (or come to like) IF, RTO!

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I smoke both as well. More IF than UF but the latter fills a niche that nothing else does.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....pity the 'Daddy' of 'em all is not available over there!.....Condor - of course!;)

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

Who makes Condor? Murry?

There's a shop in England who'll ship the USA. With shipping and current exchange rate - nuts to that! Need to be related to Rockefeller!

Will

8. RTOdhner

I keep hearing about this Condor. I wonder if one of the e-tailers would stock it if we pestered them enough.

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Mmm...Condor. (Getting tired of saying this...:))

I like Irish Flake. I do not let it dry out one iota, though. No need.

My weekend has been so busy that I haven't the time to sit back and 'play the field' with my usual assortment of pipes and blends. That said, I've had a Falcon and a tin of IF wherever I was...and now both are empty! Poor flakes didn't know what hit them...and I think I've actually abused a Falcon to a point it can actually use a rest.

IF could easily be a desert island blend for me. Enjoy it, Lehigh!

10. dmkerr

You can keep the Condor, but life would certainly be easier if I could get St Bruno without all the hurdles.

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....they did originally, now like all the other traditional British tobaccos (with the exception of SG and G&H) - it's made in mainland Europe or Scandinavia. Many blends have suffered by the changes in origin, but Condor is one of a few that have remained pretty close to the original recipe.

12. WillH

WillH Active Member

There's all sorts of Condor, some is actually very nice. The ready rubbed isn't bad at all!

Will

13. RTOdhner

Planning on it, Ying. I just gotta say that since hooking up with PSF, my pipe smoking enjoyment has tripped the light fantastic! All those years of depriving myself of flake, and now I find myself a totally depraved flake junkie. (Well, I was always depraved, but now I'm also a flake junkie). If it keeps going at this rate, I'm gonna find myself on a street corner with a sign that reads "Will Work for VA or VaPer Flake."

14. dmkerr

It's not bad - just not worth obsessing over (to me).

But now I've discovered another UK-only blend that I'm going to have to figure out how to score... G. Smith & Sons Old London Mixture. Then again, it's an embarrassment of riches here in the U.S with respect to available pipe tobacco, so I'm trying not to whine too much about what I can't get.

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

........just the three now! - 'blended' is a milder version of the 'Long Cut' and 'Ready Rubbed' which are both the same stuff. Years ago I smoked Condor twists and plugs - which were very popular with the gypsies over here!......alas no longer available (tobacco - not the gypsies!)
    OT

16. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I love the flavor of IF, but I have to be careful with it. I often smoke it mixed or layered with something else. For your first smoke with it I'd recommend waiting for an evening after a giant meal. A MM Legend would be perfect. I haven't smoked IF enough to have it mastered yet, but I'd probably recommend fully rubbing it out for the first bowl. Fold'n'stuff works well with it too, but rubbed out might be a better intro. Also might be easier to get a good burn, especially if it's moist straight from a fresh tin.

17. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I enjoy IF but don't care for UF as much. I am not that crazy about the berry casing.

IF kinda turned me on to dark fired leaf.

18. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Maybe I'm the only one that likes University Flake more than Irish Flake.

Is Condor really that great? I've never tried it, but I've been known to go to stupid lengths to get stuff before.

19. RTOdhner

I've got a pair of Legends, one bent and one straight, that I was planning to use for the IF. So far, I just can't get the fold and stuff method to work so I'll be rubbing it out after I've let it air some. The UF has taught me a valuable lesson - no matter how perfect I think the flake in question is for smoking at the moment, it's best to let it air-out some. I've been letting all the flake that I smoke (right now I'm out of OGS, but I have some Erinmore and Stokkebye LNF, in-addition-to the UF) air-out for about an hour before I light it, and the reward has been an even more enjoyable bowl of flake.

20. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I like both UF and IF, but IF is balls-ier! :yy:
    UF was the 1st flake I ever tried. I am out and need to get me some more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.