1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Broke , dropped and lost pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruffinogold, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Man I've busted some pipes . I'm waiting on a Meer Lined pipe I Scored off Ebay ... a Hilson . Which got me thinkin about the other hilson I owned at one time . It was a Hilson Canadian Dublin w/ conical bowl that was one of the best pipes I've ever owned ... it got crushed ... big truck . I burned the broken bits of it in my woodstove . So then I thought of two other pipes I ran over . A Comoy Prince [ bummer ] and a massive Wiley Canadian Pot that I still have cause it survived [ it only snapped the shank in half .. Ford 350 ] .. bad ass pipe it is . The lawnmower has taken a few as well . A velani quarter bent Dublin with a killer rustication , A Sasieni Ruff root dark billiard w/ a saddle stem [ beefy pipe ] and another that was a pipe Dan or pipe den Danish looking thing . I dropped a kaywoodie 51s out the car door while driving over the bridge to Key Biscayne .. I've since got another one . By the way the 51s is an excellent work pipe ! I was buzzed in a corn field with some pals and left a Dr.Plumb full bent [like a Peterson system] where we were sitting and couldn’t find that place again [ all the corn looked the same ].. That doesn’t count as a busted pipe until they cut the corn down . Man , I looked for that one for an hour a day for a few days . I had a Kaywoodie shape 14 drop down an elevator shaft .. at the bottom was this grease looking crap that I wasn’t gonna go into ... weird looking stuff . I've since picked up two others , both Meer Lined . To many times I put a pipe stem down in my back pocket and sat on them . Those I repair but sometimes there’s a big bit missing and that blows the whole thing . I work w/ chemicals at times and that’s been a drag on some pipes . I’ve left pipes in public places and sometime they’re there and sometimes they’re not . I’m sure theres others but that’s what’s off the top of my head . I’ve misplaced twice as many as I’ve broke .. At least . Anyway , I’m an idiot and I’ve hosed some pipes no doubt . You guys as bad or what ?

2. Aureliano

Aureliano Member

I broke a pipe clearing it on a curb. It was the first briar I owned, and I was clearing it after its first smoke. It was a basket pipe. I still have the pieces.

Other than that, I've had excellent luck.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Busted a meer handling it, well, probably over smoked it too.
    That's it, but I've only been at it for about two years.

That Hilson...was it the buy it now one for ten bucks plus four for shipping? I passed on it to grab the Vile Kyle Kaywoodie. I sincerely hope you get to rub my smug little nose in it, if so. I had that damned meer lined puppy sitting in my watch box for like two weeks. But noooo....I needed to spend more for a specific shape. Oy.

4. ruffinogold

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

That's cool...and cheaper. I'm glad you didn't get the one I spoke of...i was really lying. If you got it, and it was a good smoker, I would have been pissed!

Yeah, the 500 is a chore. New pipes should be a joy. Break in not included.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

John, how did you drop a pipe
    down a lift shaft?

Anyway, I've never broken or
    lost any of mine, but I'm sure
    it's a matter of time. Just hope
    it doesn't happen to one of
    my good ones.

Actually, I have dropped my
    bent Savinelli a few times out
    the window of the truck whilst
    tapping the ashes out. Good
    thing I was parked every time.

dp

7. Jay

Jay Active Member

This is why you always seem to be looking for a 'work' pipe so you can f#$%^ it up!?!?!?

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

The honest answers are "yes" and "quite a few" - when younger it took me a long time to learn that the back pocket of your jeans when you're working about isn't the best place to keep your pipe. For a while I got quite used to that muffled snapping sound when I forgot and sat down!

Lost the bowl part of the first military mont Peterson I ever had when in the hot summer of '76 I was smoking it on the open platform of an Edinburgh Corporation bus while chatting to the conductress - knocked it out on auto pilot on the centre pole, the bowl flew offf and ended up under a following car's wheels.

Lost the original Rocket and it was last seen heading downstream to join the River Clyde at a rate of knos when it slipped out of my shirt pocket when I was clearing a stream and about 18 months ago I was walking the dog after spending the Friday evening in the pub when she saw a rabbit and jerked on the lead. The pipe flew out of my hand into a bush - as it was dark I noted the place and went back first thing next morning...and have never found that pipe. Didn't mind about that one it was a crap smoker though.

9. Gondar

Gondar Member

So Gerry, have you ever lost any pipes? :lol:

10. nobler son

nobler son Member

:xd:

11. ruffinogold

12. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I reduced a GBD 1/8 bent bulldog (my favorite pipe of all time though it's "goodness" may have been distorted due to time) to dust around 35 years ago by driving over it with a CAT front end loader. The quest to find a replacement that smoked as well (and was a failure) led me to give up the pipe until Mar. 2010 when I decided to give it a try again.

Otherwise, I've never lost or damaged a pipe though the prospect of doing so made me nervous when I bought my bent lattice meer last year. The briars I've bought were "estate" pipes and I didn't have much money tied up in those so no worries. The main worry for me is to have a great smoking pipe like my old GBD and have it destroyed or lost---no matter what the cost because a great smoker is what makes a pipe priceless.

Enter MM cobs. I have 9 MM cobs and all are good smokers with the natural finished Diplomats, Prides and Freehand being great smokers. Even better than I remember the GBD being. No more worries about loss or damage now.

WyoBob

13. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

I had several cobs and 'grabows, along with my most prized pipe - My Grandfather's Yello-Bole Pug -- stolen from my vehicle. Those are the only ones I have lost. So far I haven't broken any, though I have had some of those metal shank ferrules go missing from some of my cobs.

I hope I haven't just jinxed myself, or called upon the mighty powers of Murphy's law...

14. Jayhp

Jayhp Member

Nope, Im not as bad. Ive stored one and cant remember which box it was put in.Thats about the total for me.

15. Legend

Legend Member

Here's my sob story (sigh)...
    I had an no-name English saddle stem billiard I got on Ebay. Really inexpensive, set me back 8 dollars. I don't know how the seller, who is very knowledgeable on pipes and trustworthy to boot, figured out it was made in England. No markings on it whatsoever. Being the noob I was when I purchased it (third pipe I got) I said to myself "self, it's an English pipe, let's smoke English and Balkans in it". And so I did. Everything from Chelsea Morning to Presbyterian Mixture was sampled in her. She gurgled like a cod badly, but I persisted. Eventually, I believe as the cake built and my smoking ability matured, she became one of my favorite pipes, and gurgled no more. I came to love her, even with her scorched rim and 5 fills! One morning I couldn't find that pipe, and it still hasn't turned up, even after a thorough search of the entire home. That was 2 months ago. I think perhaps my housecat has squirreled it away, like she did my wife's favorite badger hair makeup brush (also still missing) that she was always after! Hopefully I will come across it again. *sniff* Thanks for listening.

16. ruffinogold

LOL !!!! Bingo . I figure if I dont take the super good pipes out of the house then they might have a good chance of being around down the road . Where as a work pipe wont bum me out as much if I destroy it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.