1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Grabow

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by guitarist7242, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Tonight was a very sad night.

A group of my friends and I had come back from smoking and I had just beguna cleaning my Grabow with some sweetener. As soon as I was putting the finishing touches on it another friend asked to take a walk a smoke another. I am never one to turn down an invitation to enjoy the finer things in life so I decided to go with him. But I had just wet my pipe with sweetener, so I asked a buddy that had gone with me about an hour ago if I could borrow his because mine was still damp. He kindly obliged and we were off.

As soon as I pull the pipe out I checked to see if there was a filter in it because of phillips forum here. as soon as I try and pull apart the pipe a good size piece of briar crumbles off the pipe where the shank meets the stem. Needless to say I felt awful and very surprised.

Any idea why this occurred? Was it because it was just smoke an hour prior and you shouldn't pull apart a pipe when it is hot (event though I barely applied any pressure)? It could also be that it was very cold when we smoke, sp going from freezing to hot back to freezing may have made the pipe brittle.

I just don't want this to happen again :)

If anyone was wondering, I ended up going to the same Walgreens we bought his a few months ago and I bought him a nicer one. And with many apologies and a new, bigger pipe, he really didn't see to mind. Good freinds are hard to come by :)
  2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

I've never had this happen so will watch this thread with interest, and am puzzled as the pipe was cold.

Had there been "drink taken?" I have written off at least a couple of Falcon Bowls over the years on my way hoem from a den of iniquity nattering to friends, with impaired concentration and compromised motor skills.

As it wasn't a pipe you were used to, could it have been held not quite straight when you took it apart?

Was it the only pipe your pal had and so had been smoked til it was over wet and weakened? When you looked at it later in good light was there a big fill or signs of rot/weakness around the break?

I'm only guessing obviously and these are the only things that hit me.

A very gentlemanly act buying a replacement - well done!

Best as ever

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    Assuming you gave the stem a clockwise turn rather than a straight-on pull (although perhaps Grabows come apart differently), I can only guess that the pipe was hot... and yes, the conventional wisdown is to allow the pipe to cool before separating the stem from the shank. The shank is made of briar and the stem of (probably) vulcanite and heat causes those two to expand and contract at different rates. It's possible that the briar had expanded and the force of the separation caused this. But this is only speculation on my part. On the other hand, when I started smoking a pipe, the guy that taught me was adamant that I never pull the stem from the shank until the pipe had cooled.
  4. Hothog

Hothog Member

Nov 6, 2010
    The exact thing happened to me with my meer. Its a write-off so a new excuse to buy something else like a Dunhill.
  5. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

May 2, 2010
    I have no explanation for this either. Perhaps it was a combination of heat and an already weak shank. But kudos to you for replacing the pipe! That's a gentlemanly pipe man thing to do.
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    Probably just a garbagey piece of briar. I've smoked pipes in all kinds of whether and pulled them apart at all kinds of times and never had that happen. The few times I've broken a shank while fitting a tenon I've always explored the briar a bit and found a flaw or a pitty/spongey section.
  7. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I would also guess a piece of wood with a flaw or a weak spot just waiting to give way.
  8. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Feb 7, 2011
    It may have been a defect that was brought on by the timing of the smokes. But kudos indeed for replaceing the smoke, it your even my neck of the woods, I would like to buy you a drink
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.