1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Brown flake, or Best Brown Flake?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by erickghint, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erickghint

erickghint Member

Yesterday I received my end of a trade with Woody. My end was a chunk of SG Best Brown Flake. I was a bit on the apprehensive side about trading a pipe for a weed I hadn't tried yet. I figured (like I usually do) that if I wasn't fond of it, someone on the forums would be in love with it and want to trade for it. When I got the package, I opened it and the smell had penetrated TWO ziplocs. It was a sweet smell, typical of Virginia tobaccos, but a bit more subdued. It smelled like it was going to be very mellow, and mild-medium in flavor.

Upon lighting I was hit with a taste that I hadn't really had in a straight Va. before. It was almost exactly how I had smelled it in the package. Nice and mellow, but very flavorful and sweet. I should note that I tore one of the flakes in half, folded it length wise and tore bits off until I had a uniform (lol, yeah right... not by any stretch of the word) pile of Virginia pellets. This was dried for about 30 min, gravity loaded and VERY lightly tamped down. This worked really well for the BBF. Loading methods aside, it smoked perfectly for me. Lightly sipped and enjoyed from first light to last puff, it was wonderful. To me it was a little like Union Square, but much better. Very high quality leaf, pressed and allowed to age a bit, then packaged and sent on its way. In my opinion it's one of the best smoking experiences I've had with a straight Virginia. If you can somehow manage to get a hold of some, and you like straight Virginias, give it a try.

Pipe: Peterson 150 (straight bulldog)
    Beverage: Sweet iced tea
    Loading Method: Pellets of cut flake
    Personal rating out of 10: You will never get one of these out of me...

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Wow man ... you're really digging it ! Thats awesome . With as much as you're enjoying it ...sounds like a fair trade to me . Enjoy ! It's wonderfull to try something for the first time and be blown away ! A question ... I've had SG Grousemoor and FVF and they both seemed to have a nicotine bomb ... does This one as well ? I'm really wanting to try some SG stuff and have put it off cause the two I've tried nailed me w/ nicotine .

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

SG FVF is pretty much the be all end all for this type of leaf, IMO. The only blend I've found (so far) that can compete with it is Germain's Brown Flake. It has the same mellow sweet flavor and comes in more of a brick than individual flakes, but it isn't so moist as SG blends so you can get to smoking quicker. These two blends are the only ones I've tried that I consider irreplaceable and I'm taking precautions to see that I never have to go without.

One thing to keep in mind with Virginias is that age improves them exponentially. Its seriously night and day. I try to wait six months minimum before cracking a tin of FVF or GBF. I opened one right away once and it just didn't hold a candle to the properly aged stuff.

Edit: Has anyone tried G&H Broken Scotch Cake? Because the tin description makes it sound very similar to SG FVF and GBF.

4. erickghint

erickghint Member

I still smoke a pack a day, so I'm probably not the best judge of nicotine content. Irish Flake didn't really hit me, just for reference. I'd really like to try some FVF side by side with BBF and see how they compare. Finding FVF, however... that's another story.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Guess I'll have to open my tin of this stuff now. ;)

dp

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Welcome to the club Erick! BBF is one of if not the bestest va in my weed arsenal. Yeah, FVF is nice too as is many others but for me, if I could only have ONE VA, and couldn't sell one to get more of another (as many do where weed is concerned) I'll pick. SG BBF everyday.

My experiences with BBF are very similar. Nice burn. Sweet caramelly buttery flavor all the way down. Doesn't take half the bowl to get the experience going. The goodness starts early in the first quarter. Dry time helps and applies universally to SG weedz in general.

It will be a major player on my TAD-list when SG comes ashore again.....if it ever does. if it doesn't then I am willing to pay the heavy import taxes/duties and order from an EU market.

Enjoy your newfound "weedlove" Erick and Rock-On!

Ruff, BBF's nic-hit is not as heavy as the two you mentioned. It's nicely narcotic! I have become......comfortably numb (pink floyd) style vs. Pound you into a nic-buzz that you feel like you just got off of a high speed merry-go-round. BBF's is mellow and pleasant.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

7. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

I've created a monster, lol. Seriously though, I'm glad you like.

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

BBF has been a favourite of mine for years - I prefer it to FVF, and fortunately I can buy in bulk
    (we call it loose!) from the jar at my B&M still. In a similar vein you might like Coniston cut plug too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.