Bruyere garantie

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by koja, Sep 11, 2010.

1. koja

koja New Member

Hello,

I've recently acquired presumably old "Bruyere Garantie" pipe from eBay. It looks nice, with golden engraved logo and ring, flame grain.
    Seller said it is German, dated about 1940.

I am from Czech Republic and father of my girlfriend has a collection of about ten cheap looking pipes from about 1980-1990 with the same stamp.

I've tried to google some info about such a stamp and all I found is that words are from french and this label probably originates from France where first briar pipes were manufactured and in that time nobody felt need to create brand or signature, so they just guarenteed that pipe is 100% briar (well... minus mouthpiece).

Does anybody know anything interesting about these pipes? Any opinion about history or quality?
  2. PappyMac

PappyMac Member

Bruyere Garantie translates to Briar Guarantied
  3. xrundog

xrundog Sales Account

I have one that probably dates to the 1920s. It's good quality briar with an amber colored Bakelite stem. And I've seen quite a few on eBay of varying quality. Though I have also seen these described as German, I would think the pipes are French. Why would Germans use French stamps? If it's true and these pipes have been made for many years, then the only way to date them would be by style and materials. Sellers not familiar with pipe styles through the years can incorrectly date a pipe by a wide margin. Can you post a photo of your pipe? One with the stem removed would help as well. Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    Calvinandpipe likes this.