1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

BST Has Ruined Me

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well, among all the little details that make one pipe better or worse than another, Sasquatch's pipes are just plain COMFORTABLE. That is to say, the one pipe made by him that I have is.

It certainly isn't the most lightweight pipe I have, but it is darn comfortable in my mouth. After a few years of smoking a pipe, clenching seems to have started to mess up my teeth a bit. I can't explain it, but it's not comfortable to clench most pipes anymore. I'm starting to really be careful what I hold in my mouth hands-free. This pipe, though, is different. Despite a tiny bit of heft to it, it feels light as a feather when I clench it. Part of this is because it seems impeccably balanced, shaped JUST right to hang effortlessly. But a huge part of it seems to be the stem. Soft on the teeth, it has turned me into a vulcanite convert. I always preferred acrylic, but this thing is dreamy. And I don't know how he does it, because the bit just feels paper thin between my teeth. It's a tapered stem, but it feels thinner than the saddle bit stems I've got from Stanwell or Savinelli.

Now my two Petersons smoke just fine and I love them, but those stems...god, those stems! If I try to clench, even for a few seconds, it's like I'm hanging on to a brick...they aren't too poorly balanced, but that's part of it. Really though the stems, despite being vulcanite, seem rock hard, and they feel so thick I might as well have a hollowed out rake handle for a pipe stem.

I don't know what kind of magic is involved in his pipemaking, but whatever he does he does it right. It's not just a good looking pipe, and it's not just a great, easy-smoking pipe. It's a comfortable pipe. I could smoke it all day and be one happy son of a gun.

If only I could afford it, I'd see about having stems made for several of my pipes that I really enjoy smoking but just aren't comfortable in the mouth. But alas, I'll have to make do for now.

Anybody who has ever considered buying a BST pipe, you can add me to the legions of people who will urge you to do it and not look back. I don't know what's going on, but the more I smoke this pipe, the more spoiled I'm becoming.

Artistik, Old Codger and Spillproof like this.
  2. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

His pipes are which craft I tell you. Good smoking pipes.

3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I heard he made like Robert Johnson down at the crossroads...

Maybe he just tries, really, really, really hard, has made a boat-load of pipes, has natural talent AND dedication to craft, and takes his sweet time about it too.

Probably satan though.

psquared, Sasquatch and yinyang like this.
  4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

It's not satan, he made a pact with the spirit of Judy Garland. It's complicated, but let's just say when the big dude with the ruby colored logging boots shows up for Rainbow night at the Manhole, well, just stay of the dance floor.

Jay, psquared, Sasquatch and 5 others like this.
  5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well, whatever. The pipe is just fabulous! Wish I had some more like this one!

EmperorGix and yinyang like this.
  6. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Get the music to Camptown Races in your head. Ready:

Guess who's getting a new Sas pipe.
    This guy, this guy
    Guess who's getting a new Sas pipe.
    This guy, this guy
    Me me me me me, me me me me me

Okay sorry to steal your thread

Spillproof likes this.
  7. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I can atest to the SAS BST pipe ruining a man. I can honestly say that my SAS BST pipe is a superior smoking pipe tomany that I own. I will NEVER regret getting that pipe----------My Big Bad Ass Billy--------like SAS described it stupendously stupendous piece of briar-------------HE DID NOT LIE!!!!!!!!!!!! It smokes off the map. I love that pipe.

yinyang likes this.
  8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Well, there go his prices. :rolleyes:

jpberg and yinyang like this.
  9. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

So...if I'm reading this correctly, Sas' pipe feels good in your mouth? :D

I hope to experience that same sensation some time in the future. Hopefully the not-too-distant future.

Spillproof likes this.
  10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Pft. I'd like to see you MAKE me!

Err....sorry. I'm contrary by nature.

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You guys are going to give Bannard encephalitis. Which is terrible, what with being all top heavy and junk. Luckily, though, if he falls, at least he has your noses to catch him..:rolleyes:

Kiowapipe likes this.
  12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Judy Garland was hot. Hotter than Julie Andrews? No, but pretty decent.

As to the O.P. - Nesta, your two dollars is in the mail.

A lot of arguments about this brand or that brand "smoking better" are baloney - some guys swear by how Kaywoodies smoke, I can't get the damn things to work at all, so whatever. But two things aren't baloney. One is how a stem is cut, which comes to how thin it is, how thin it stays for how long, and how the button feels in the teeth/tongue. I do a pretty decent job of it, but there's people who spend more time on their button than I spend on my entire pipe, and when you shell out 900 bucks, you see some magic there. The other factor is balance, and just taking a stem, and bending it and putting it on the pipe is not going to get balance. Us big time famous custom pipe guys rebend stems a few times if we need to, trying to find what looks right, but also what hangs right, and it's bloody amazing what a difference it makes if you miss by even a few degrees.

Pipes "done right" take a lot of time and effort, and that's why Peterson and Savinelli can't make 'em at a sub-200 dollar price point. They do pretty good, sometimes real good, but very seldom do they make it to "just right" in my experience. I'd way rather make a totally ordinary looking pipe and have it be someone's favorite daily pipe than make a crazy artsy wonder carving that sits on a shelf. So that's what I try to do, I guess.

Dondi, lostopossum, Kiowapipe and 3 others like this.
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Another way to spin all this is that a prospective pipe maker, to be successful, has to answer one simple question - why would anyone buy my pipes instead of a Peterson? (or Ser Jacopo, Castello, Dunhill, Parker, Charatan's, Ceppo etc etc etc)

Generate that answer and take it to completion.

Which is to say, hard work, and Satan.

14. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Sorry, I just wanted to see this quote by itself. :D

Old Codger and dwaugh like this.
  15. Russell Hartman

I would like to thank, and commend SAS for posts #12, and #13. These two posts are some great coomon sense explanations of what has attracted me to artisan pipes. NOW--granted I will not bash, nor can, or will I take anything away from what I term as factory pipes--hey I own some. HOWEVER with people--artisans like SAS--Todd Bannard---it is a SINGLE person from start to finish that has their hands on the pipe. They select the briar---curing, carving drilling the bowl, draught hole, and mortise, and a special knack for tenons, bits, stem. NOT JUST ANYONE has this skill. Perhaps it can be taught, practiced until one has experience to do this. ALL I KNOW IS THIS----ALL of my artisan pipes are good. HOWEVER when I take them apart, and REALLY inspect the mortise, draught hole, and bowl----put it back together, and let it hang in my mouth to include clenching and how it feels with the button in my mouth------SOME are WAY----leaps, and bounds ahead----balnce, and feel as a clencher---YES SAS MY GOOD MAN------you do a super job at this. I know my Bad Ass Billy is like this. It is a larger pipe, but I can clench it---very comfortable, and balanced. I am convinced that there is alot more to a pipe than just simply carving out a stummel, and drilling it, and throwing on a stem. A great finished product that includes beauty, great bowl engineering, and stem engineering is something that NOT pipes have the total package when finished. Thats the difference between an artisan pipe, and a run of the mill pipe. GREAT write up SAS. I love posts #12, and #13.

Spillproof and jdto like this.
  16. jpberg

Well, if Nesta got 2 bucks, Russell earned at least a five spot.

Dondi likes this.
  17. Russell Hartman

I really do believe in giving credit where it is due. I like many will see a pipe that aestecally looks wonderful. Perhaps nice grain, maybe a colorful adornment in the stem, or at the rear of the pipe shank, BUT when I actaully hold it, or put it in my mouth----well it just doesn't feel right. NOW--granted some pipes simply are too big to be clenchers, but a pipe that isn't balanced, and feels like a damn tuba hanging in my mouth even when the pipe isn't so large---well I don't care for that. This in my opinion as SAS brought out is where folks who got their act together in the pipe making world come in. I honestly feel that when a guy is turning out pipes that are the total package--nice briar to begin with, fit, and finish to include nice stem, and button work, and they are doing this on a regular basis----YEP--they got my respect. The reason I posted on this thread is the fact that the young man I took under my wing, and has now joined me in the love of pipes-----WELL---one of his questions to me was this.--How do you go about selecting a pipe--what is it you look for besides just pipe just being pretty. The engineering part as far as mortise, tenon fit--drilling I was ok with. When it came to a precise way to describe balance, and feel in the mouth-----I had a hard time being kinda clear about describing this to him. SAS when he posted in #12, and #13 really got me excited as he as usual was able to articulate exactly what I could not seem to put into words. I now as long as SAS doesn't mind----have a way to tell, and show him what I mean about stem, and over all pipe balance. This thread has turned out to be so darn good. By the way I will give SAS the full credit to my little pipe smoking buddy when I show him this. I am going to have him read this thread all the way through.:bing: Keep those pipes smoking gents.

18. jpberg

Changed my mind, give Russell a tenner. And Russell, keep the faith, brother, but be wary, the more this guy gets talked up, the less we can afford him.

19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Payroll is gonna outstrip profit around here pretty soon, I swear.

psquared and YOJiMBO20 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.