Budget Flakes?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jomodeere, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Hey all,
    I'm starting/wanting to get into flakes but I'm on a tight budget. Does anyone know where I can get a tin or two of flake tobacco for a cheap price? And it still be good? I just want something to learn with basically.

Thanks all,
    Jomo

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Get some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake in bulk. It's delicious, easy as hell to smoke, smells okay... it's a winner. And not expensive. (Hmmmm... I see this is out of stock a few places.)

Well, another option is Mac Baren Navy Flake - again, not expensive, pretty tasty, and not a fight to light up.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Tin? You could, in addition to what Sas said, add Orlik's Golden Sliced(Red), or maybe Erinmore Flake.

Another bulk possibility would be Iwan Ries Flake, or many of G&H's offerings.

All of the above tend to be on the cheaper side of average.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Sas is definitely on the money with his recommendation of McB's Navy Flake - this easy to smoke, pleasant all day tobacco is one of the real winners to me!

Happy smoking

Gerry

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Also, in bulk for $3.00/oz or less, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.

6. scavenger

scavenger Member

I picked some up as a first time flake to try after some fellows here suggested it. Its good and I think you'll be satisfied with it. If not I'll buy it off you!

Stay sleazy,
    Scavenger

7. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

MacB's Navy Flakes are a good pick, they are trending towards being my favorite right now, but maybe not exactly budget priced. The PS flakes are, but are also tough to find. Only Luxury Twist seems to be in stock, the BullsEye and Navy seems hard to find right now.

8. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I've been buying flakes and bulls' eye coins by the ounce from my local shop and I have no complaints. If you have a local B&M I recommend supporting them and giving their bulk flakes a try. I'm headed over to my usual shop tomorrow (they were closed this morning when I stopped by) and I'll ask who their supplier is. I'm sure they aren't top of the line, but did the sailors who originated "navy flake" have a choice. Flake is a nice smoke no matter what its port of origin. I prefer the dryer, "jerky" flakes even though some others (Penzance) can be sublime. I like to pick up what I want when I want it without worrying about shipping or waiting for the postman.

More later,
    Cheers,
    WK

9. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

I started out with Mac NBaren Dark Twist Roll Cake, and found it very easy to smoke. Club Blend is also a small coin-type tobacco that may work for you. These are smaller than the PSBullseye listed above, but need some of the same care -- I have trouble with my Club Blend swelling in the bowl - requires careful packing or full rubbing out before loading, while my Dark Twist just seemed to smoke well no matter what.

Look for some Escudo as well. It is also from PS these days, and is a truly wonderful smoke for a reasonable price. Let it dry a bit before going to it, though -- it tends to be pretty moist in a new tin.

I also second the advice above, and heartily recommend the Orlik Golden Sliced. Very satisfying flake for me!

Try some Erinmore as well, though it can ghost a briar pretty easily.

10. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Wow, as usual the ideas offered are great. As I read the responces I realized I personally have picked up many of these offerings and not had a chance to try them yet. However, summer is coming!

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Charles Fairmorn Lancers Slices. Good and cheap doesn't get any better.

12. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

You can't go wrong with Luxury Twist Flake .....I just ordered 6 lbs of this......it's one on my favs.

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Dans Hamborger Veermaster and Tordenskjold Va Slices are wonderful flakes and come in both tin and lb bulk bags. Very nice smoke!

McCl bulk 2020 Matured Va is incredible right away.........and it'll get better! Can't imagine how!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

14. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Are these actual, full sized flakes(ala Navy Flakes from MacB)? Just curious...the pic online shows it as broken up, so not sure if that's accurate.

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1 big time

16. Redone

Redone Member

I will be giving some of the flakes you guys dig a try. I have tried McB Dark twist roll cake and my B&M re-stocked McB navy flake. Both are very good but the navy flake is awesome one of the best smokes I have had so far. Although I have only tried two, it appears to me flake toby is more tasty and intense in flavor than ribbon cuts etc.

17. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Orlik Golden Sliced, as already mentioned. Never be without it.

18. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Not as neat and uniform as most MacB flakes, but still a flake. A real sleeper blend. Reminds me of SG products in the 90s as far as quality/price goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.