1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Budget Handmade Pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nowsharing, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

I'm having a pipe made by Tom Johnson of Luna Pipes for $40, which has me curious to know if any other pipe makers sell pipes in the budget range. To be fair, his briar pipes usually sell for $80+, but I contacted him a few months ago asking if had any blemished briar pipes in a style of his that I liked. I lucked out and within weeks my new pipe was being made.

Are there any homegrown pipe makers producing budget priced pipes? I might define "budget priced" as anything up to $75 or so?

2. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Maybe ask in the pipemaking forum if some of the not so experienced makers would be willing to part with something? I dunno..
    I've bought a few from futurepipes on ebay.. Mario Grandi.. usually go for 60-80 usd. Fit and finish can be a bit off at times it seems, and i doubt a single guy makes them, but they are hand made.

EDIT: Just checked out their store and it seems they are putting up a few more pricey ones. Still quite a few around 75$.

http://shop.ebay.com/futurepipes/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

nowsharing likes this.
  3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The words "budget" and "handmade" prolly shouldn't be used in the same sentence. You're lucky to get a handmade pipe for $40. If you are looking for "the most bang for the buck" likely your best bet would be to get a used (estate) pipe or go to your local baccy shop and get a pipe out of their no-name & seconds basket. All of this is assuming you have your heart set on a briar. As many on this forum would agree, it's tough to beat a cob for value.

bigpoppamike100 and nowsharing like this.
  4. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

I'm not particularly looking to get another pipe, just curious to know what's out there in the lower price range. I also don't want to insult any of the pipe makers here, because their pipes are worth far more than they ask for anyways.

I really like the look of those Mario Grandis! That is exactly the kind of pipe maker that I was hoping to find.

I agree that the "budget handmade" category seems like it shouldn't exist. But there do seem to be at least one or two tinkerers out there catering to us poor folk, such as Mario Grandi suggested above. I'll definitely be picking up some cobs when I'm back stateside. MM's Great Dane has my heart at the moment.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The trouble with a $40.00 handmade is that in all honest that just barely covers materials unless you are looking at cheap briar and a premade stem, and in that case... well... "handmade" is hard to define anyhow. It doesn't have much meaning. Mario Grandis smoke great, but the cheaper ones have really cheap (ABS plastic) stems. The 75 dollar ones are way better. Those are pretty good value in a sort of "production handmade".
    But if someone somewhere is offering good prices on good pipes, you'd be silly not to take 'em up on it!

nowsharing likes this.
  6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

If your pipe should sell for $80 without blem and $40 with blem, I'd be way interested to see what you end up with as well as how she smokes and longevity. You may be in order for congratz but I'll just say I hope she's a good one!

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

nowsharing likes this.
  7. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

gotta love the cob get miss meer and you will never go wrong.

nowsharing likes this.
  8. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

My fingers are crossed, but I've heard that Luna Pipes are great smokers. The wooden stem will take some getting used to though...definitely not going to clench that sucker for fear of a mouth full of splinters.

That's something I hadn't considered, and now after looking at the price of raw briar; I see that you're right. Great info about the stems too, I would have never suspected that anyone would be using ABS for stems. Estate "handmades" are probably the way to go for now, until I can commission something from a master like yourself.

9. gasface

gasface Member

Yeah, I came in to mention Mario Grande as well...
    I grabbed a few this year. Decent pipes IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.