Buescher Stems

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by nesta, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

What kind of stems did Buescher use? I ask because I was at a large antique mall today and saw a Buescher card which was mostly full - 8 cobs total, unsmoked. The whole thing was going for like 38 bucks. They look like MM pipes, but they had some kind of metal band (nickel or aluminum, I'm guessing, but not painted black like current production MM - they look nice) and the black stems looked a lot nicer than MM uses currently. So I'm wondering if they're bakelite or some other kind of plastic, or if there's a chance they were using hard rubber stems for those pipes? For the price I think that vulcanite stems may be too much to hope for, but it also was a different time. Even at the price they're asking they compare respectably to current production MM cobs, so if they may have vulcanite stems it would be a no-brainer to pick them up on my way home in a couple days (the antique mall is on the way out of my parent's town)

They all looked fairly comparable to legends, but some were straight and some bent, and they were in extremely good condition.

browny and dwaugh like this.
  2. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I'd be tempted to snatch them up, regardless of the stem material. Keep some and use the balance for trade fodder.

Coda and dwaugh like this.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Eh, I can afford it, but even if I can trade the extras I ought to try to be frugal more or less at the moment. Also, I don't have enough room in my pipe racks to introduce eight new pipes in addition to the GBD estate I bought the other day....so if I get it, I want to be sure that I'll really enjoy them. The novelty is cool and all, but not a major selling point today. Having vulcanite stems rather than plastic, however, would be a major selling point.

4. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Better pick em up...I would have snatched em up on the spot.

5. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I did some research on the Bueschers stem materials and came up with nothing (other than pics), sorry about that.
    Even so, If I were in your position I'd buy them for sure :)

6. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Oh and the terms lucite and plastic...

7. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

30-40 years ago the stems on corn cob pipes seemed to be of better quality than those on current pipes. The had a bit more body to them. Just the $.02 of an "Old Fart".

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've purchased several unsmoked Bueschers, H&Bs and vintage MMs. I like them a lot. I usually try t hold out for the ones with larger bowls, which you can find on the pre-2000 cobs. I just snapped my second vintage diamond shank on the 'bay and got it in today. If they are unsmoked, I would snap them.

9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Buy them ASAP, nesta. I'll trade you out of them for an equal value of your favorite tobacco.

As to the stems on Buescher's, I have a few old Buescher's that I picked up on eBay a couple of years ago. The stems are hard plastic. They may even be lucite. At any rate, they are head and shoulders above the stems MM is putting on pipes now. I would say they are at least as good as the stems that Grabow uses on their briar pipes.

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well, I have my car in the shop, so funds are going to be still tighter than I expected. If I have enough money in the bank after all is said and done, I may stop on the way home and grab them, but unfortunately even if I were to trade them for something of equal value that doesn't buy groceries. Since it's unknown exactly when my student loans will be disbursed (though I wouldn't guess they would be for another week or two) I can't justify it, even if I'd get my money's worth in traded goods.

If I can figure out what to do about my budget for the next few weeks and there's room to use 40 bucks for fun, I may do it. If not, I may have to just hold out hope that they'll be there next time I stop by.

11. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

All of that comes first, man. Heck, I need another cob like I need another hole in my head.

BradNTX likes this.
  12. BradNTX

Just a couple of questions...

Were they all unsmoked?

Were any of them corndogs?

Inquiring minds want to know. :old:

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

They look, more or less, similar to Legends. They're all the same except that some are straight and some are slightly curved. All are unsmoked and in pristine condition.

BradNTX likes this.
  14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, since I got my selling upgrade on here anyway.....

how interested, in monetary terms, do you think people would be? I'm likely to pass by the place in a couple days again, and if it's still there I'm trying to decide if I could make a profit on these. If they cost in the neighborhood of 5 bucks a piece, and they cost several dollars to mail, I'd have to charge more than >I< would pay for a corncob pipe in order to make it worth my time. Frankly, going to the post office and keeping up with selling stuff is time consuming, and I'm a full time student first and foremost....so if I make a profit of like 1 dollar on the pipe, it's not even worth me doing it....would people pay, say, 15 dollars for an unsmoked Buescher in pristine condition? If so, then I'm definitely interested in going back for them if I'm passing by anyway.

15. BradNTX

I buy Bueschers, H&B, and vintage MMs on eBay, and will pay $15 if it is exactly what I'm looking for.

Large bowl, unsmoked, bent
    Large or medium bowl with square shank, straight or bent, unsmoked
    Any unsmoked corn dog

Other than these, they are pretty easy to come by.

nesta likes this.
  16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I may well skip them then...they're all unsmoked, and they're novel...but they're still just cobs...I would be interested in having one, but not 8 that I couldn't sell and make a little profit at least

BradNTX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.