Building A Tobacco Cellar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JD1969, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD1969

JD1969 Member

My wife, who enjoys wine (as do I a little, but I am more a whiskey/bourbon/scotch or dark beer kind of guy) has mentioned that I should convert a small closet under the basement stairs into a wine cellar. This is the perfect size, but my question is can I use it to cellar my tobacco as well. My basement is finished, stays about 65-70* year round and sits at about 70-80% humidity. I have a de-humidifier down there so I could dry it out if needed. I am thinking of lining it with cedar and building some simple wine racks shelves. Is the cedar ok and temp/humidity ok for tobacco?

2. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Active Member

I'd say it sounds great as long as the tobacco remains in an air-tight container (like a mason jar or its original unopened tin).

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I read somewhere that if you're comfortable, your tobacco will be as well. The temps. and humidity levels you mentioned seem fine to me. Oglethorpe's suggestion is perhaps the most important factor, however.

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I would tell you that if the weed is in mason jar you don't need to keep it in the new wine cellar. Use that space for wine. As long as you can keep the temp constant you will be fine. Now if you were talking cigars then the cedar (spanish only) would help as it keeps the tobacco beatles away. Not an issue though as I said if your weed is in jars.

5. JD1969

JD1969 Member

I always planned on keeping it in mason jars. I also want to store my pipes in there and maybe some other stuff. I would really like to turn it into a gun room but I prefer to keep those upstairs in my safe because of moisture levels. One thing is for sure, it will have a lock on the door, you never know what kids can get into. I am sure my booze collection and tobacco collection could prove to be mighty temping.

6. Rider

Rider Member

tobacco beatles? :( :eek:

7. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.