1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Bulk bags of tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RodneyWT1180B, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

One thing I don't think I've seen mentioned are the bulk bags of tobacco being sold for what appears to be ridiculously low prices compared to other pipe tobaccos. In my area a pouch of Captain Black runs about 7 to 8 dollars and house blends at tobacco stores run about $8 for two ounces. Bulk bags run about $7 for 6 oz.

I was at a reservation store that sells gas and cigarettes mainly and asked about pipe tobacco. They had a 6 oz bag of "wild Horse" branded pipe tobacco for $7. At a third of the price I had to try it being the cheap B*stard that I am. Not the best smoke even compared to the OTCs and house blends I buy. The tobacco is a light to medium tan in color all the way through, it's pretty obvious it's not blended and is a bit on the bitter side. Certainly not the best stuff out there. I don't want to trade it-why pass on something I don't particularly like and that most wouldn't? Plus mailing it would cost about the same as the tobacco.

I'm wondering if it could be mixed with other tobaccos effectively and how to do it. I haven't tried any premium tobaccos and know nothing about the differences between different tobaccos like latakias, virginias and whatnot.

Has anyone else tried these cheaply packaged tobaccos and what were your experiences?

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Most of those tobaccos are cigarette tobacco labeled as "pipe tobacco" to avoid having to pay cigarette tax...

TWolf and Coastal Bend like this.
  3. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

Many of those packaged "pipe" tobaccos are meant for roll your own cigarettes, and re-labeled to avoid the taxes associated with cigs. I have tried some, but I'd be leary of anything in that fine shag cut. I see Coda beat me to it.

4. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

You usually get what you pay for...Mix it with Carter Hall or PA. I have got positive results blending substandard tobacco with both.

Skiballa likes this.
  5. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I've burned through mine by mixing it with some cheap aromatics, it kind of lightened the goopy stuff up nicely.

Arkie likes this.
  6. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I just think of the bulk tobacco as "floor sweepings." :xd: But calling it cigarette tobacco re-labeled to avoid taxes is probably more polite.

Skiballa likes this.
  7. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

I'm not a cigarette smoker and wasn't aware of the tax work around. Being in a reservation though, I don't think they have the same taxes as WA. WA taxes on alcohol and tobacco are brutal.
    It is finely cut. It's very possible that it's intended for the "roll your own" crowd. Though it says "pipe tobacco" right on the bag it really doesn't look like any other pipe tobacco I've seen. Looks like there's a good reason for that.
    Rodney

8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Its not the seller that has to pay the tax, its the manufacturer. They can keep the price low by labeling it as pipe tobacco...

9. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

I just thought of another question. There's no list of ingredients on the bag but if this is really a cheap cigarette tobacco does that mean it's going to be full of the same nasty chemicals like formaldehyde they add to cigarette tobaccos?

10. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

That makes sense.

11. Moose

Moose Active Member

The only bag bulk pipe tobacco I have tried is Smokers Pride aromatics. around $12 to $14 a bag not bad IMO.

If you get a bag of bulk tobacco be sure to put it in a sealable container such as a mason jar to make sure it doesn't dry out on you while you are working on it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    bubbagump likes this.
  12. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

yes

13. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I met someone recently that works for Cherokee Tobacco (one of the RYO companies). They give free tobacco to their employees. The way this guy put it...the stuff is such crap that he doesn't even take them up on the FREE tobacco.

x2 I got some PS-21 and SP Black Cav one day. My $.02...the bag note of the SP was better. I've tried SP Vanilla Cavendish and Black Cavendish. Both aren't bad smokes, as far as aromatics go (no better or worse than more pricey stuff that's out there).

14. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

You may be right about some Smoker's Pride drying out but most of the bags of cheap aromatics I've tried were so soaked with glycol you could spread it on a rock in the desert for 5 years and it wouldn't dry out.

Richard Clarke, TWolf and Moose like this.
  15. Moose

Moose Active Member

:xd: :laff:

16. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

There are only two brands I know of that you would find in a bulk bag at a typical smoke shop that are actual pipe tobacco instead of re-labeled Roll Your Own: Smoker's Pride, and Super Value. Be aware that even Smoker's Pride sells some RYO, the blends that are RYO are called Mellow Taste, Rich Taste, and Menthol taste and they come in 6oz bags instead of the 12oz bags of the actual pipe tobacco.

17. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

I buy my C&D bulk blends by the pound and they've always come in a clear, sealed plastic bag with the C&D sticker and usually the etailers sticker on there as well. Absolutely top quality leaf IMHO. :puffy:

18. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

say what you will but American spirit ryo natural is at the very least a passable smoke. most bulk tobacco i have come accross is pretty much just ryo in a pipe tobacco label. avoid them if you have any working taste bud, they are pretty brutal on the tongue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.