Bulk Flakes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ccwco, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccwco

ccwco Member

Looking into non-tinned flakes.
    Don't know what should be avoided.
    I really like McConnell Latakia Flake, Irish Flake, Full Virginia flake, St James Flake and Irish Flake.
    Please help me broaden my tastes!

2. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

GH Bright CR Flake and McClelland 5100 are two of my favorites. Mild and wonderful. All McClelland bulks I have tried are great.

ccwco likes this.
  3. muddler

muddler Active Member

Rattray Marlin Flake is very good. Agree re McCllelland flakes, esp 2010 (Va) & 2015 (Vaper).

ccwco likes this.
  4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake...you're welcome.

Mark Dawson, zippo, jdto and 4 others like this.
  5. ccwco

ccwco Member

Is there something similar to McC Latakia flake?

eta: McC in this instance refers to McConnell

6. capt dave

capt dave Member

i've never had McC latakia flake but McClellen 2020 is HEAVY on latakia in my opinion. it has a walup.
    also i would highly reccomend PS luxury flakes of any kind. and i like SG chocolate flake but every one says bob's chocolate flake is better.

ccwco likes this.
  7. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

IMO for the price (and quality) can't beat Stokkebye...all others previously mentioned are good suggestions, but are all of them available in bulk?

8. capt dave

capt dave Member

McC 2020 is and so is SG chocolate flake, though that one comes in tin as well. just bought 1/2 lbs. thats why i wont try bob's:doh:

DaveyBoy likes this.
  9. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Is SG's Navy Flake available in bulk? If so, you may like that...its got a decent Latakia hit on it...

10. capt dave

capt dave Member

how is the rum flavor in SG navy. i want to try it later. would like a flake with a hint of rum...you know the way navy flake is supposed to be. that is my ONLY complaint with PS LNF...no rum

Raffxr7 likes this.
  11. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Well, for me, it is essentially a Latakia flake. The Virginia and rum is merely an after though...I was a bit disappointed by that...

Raffxr7 likes this.
  12. capt dave

capt dave Member

thanks, don't know if i would like...latakia is mostly appr. as a garnish for me. maybe i'll just spill rum on my PS LNF:dkn:

13. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I'm quite fond of Newminster Superior Navy Flake. Not everyone is, but if it works for you it's a great "value" flake. A few other favorites have already been mentioned so I won't bother repeating them. If you really like your Irish Flake, you might look into some twists (SG and G&H blacks and browns). Some you can buy pre-sliced and they're almost like mini-flakes, and most all you can get as a rope from which you cut slices. A bit more labor intensive, but I love the ritual of it.

14. capt dave

capt dave Member

hey, my grandfather has told me that his grandfather (now we're talking my great-great grandfather) grew and made twist tobacco. mostly he said it was sold in the store for chew... but great x2 grandfather kept some in a can to smoke in his pipe (another story but said pipe still exists). he put a apple slice or three in the can for flavor that my grandfather said could be smelt whist he somked but didn't know about flavor cause he didn't smoke a pipe untill later (i'm assuming he was too young at time). knowing that this was south central kentuky... and knowing the appro. year (1939-40) is there any way to duplicate what twist tobacco he might have been indulging. this would kind of be nostalgic and i'm sure my grandfather would remember the smell. just wondering.

15. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I know that a few different thicknesses are made, with the thinner ones being intended more as chews, the larger to be cut and smoked. Keeping in mind I am NOT an authority here, I'd speculate that if they were making their own they probably aren't doing the extra 'curing' process to produce a black twist. You may want to try one of the browns (either a classic Brown Irish X or a lightly flavored Cherry, Rum, or Maple twist) and see what they're like.

16. ccwco

ccwco Member

I will look into the rope, but maybe just an ounce at first. I really like playing with tobacco, and the flakes are a fun toy. When I open up McClelland vapers in broken flake, I feel a little cheated, like someone else has already enjoyed it.

17. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

MacBaren Navy Flake is one that hasn't been mentioned.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  18. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Try Some Lancer's Slices. Not quite a honest to goodness flake, but should float your Latakia boat.

dmkerr likes this.
  19. capt dave

capt dave Member

does it got the RUM???

20. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

You might try McClelland Navy Cavendish, naturally aged with Dark Jamaican Rum.

capt dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.