1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Bulk FVF

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by D-Pap, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Pipes and Cigars currently has SG FVF available in bulk. I had been looking for it for a while. Its still out of stock at CupOJoes and Smoking Pipes. If this is old news please disregard.

2. WVANALLEN

WVANALLEN Member

I've heard that it doesn't taste the same as tinned.

3. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Everything I've seen and read has said that the only difference between bulk and tinned are the size of the flake. I haven't tried the tinned FVF because its very difficult to get. Maybe someone whose tried both can shed some light on this.

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've purchased 250g and 500g boxes of SG flakes, and they do taste fine. My only negative experiences have been buying small quantities from eTailers, from a box they opened at the store. If you get a couple ounces from a freshly opened box, it should be fine. Get the tail end, and sometimes it is a little too dry and the flavor has gone.

5. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

I just got 8oz in and the flakes were long and moist. They will probably need some drying time before they smoke. I have it jarred and will cellar it for a while. But the flake looks and smells like quality to me.

6. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

It's sold out now.

7. beans316

beans316 Member

I have lbs of both tinned and bulk, no taste difference to me

Rewster66 likes this.
  8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

+1

9. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

FVF has been slowly moving up on my TAD list...but it is as elusive as all get out.

JimInks likes this.
  10. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

I've got a bunch of the bulk and tinned in the cellar and I don't notice a discernible difference. They're both great!

11. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

I buy them in the 250 gram box. You get a nice stack of even cut planks, the one time I did get bulk, many of the planks were ripped up and I like to smoke it in a nice cube cut. So for a couple bucks more its worth it. I jar all mine so its nice to just lay them in there. The tins I believe are just the planks but in half. I use plank because they are nice thick cuts and look like wooden planks. :)

12. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

The bulk I just recently bought was the long flakes you described. My understanding is that the bulk orders are pulled from the 250g boxes. I don't know for sure though.

13. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

Could be, they have a 500 gram that I've never seen for sale. But they more than likely just open them up and put them in a plastic bin to parse out the oz. orders. So you'll get torn up planks and pieces that have fallen off just from constant handling and tearing apart to make the weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.