Bulk mcclelland's

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ATXPipe, Oct 19, 2011.

1. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Hey which one of the bulk McClelland's is supposed to be the closest to the original Frog Morton? I definitely want to cellar the Frog but if there's a bulk option that's...well, that's freaking magic is what that is.
  2. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

From the research I've done on that very subject, it appears that 5110 is very close, but still not the same. I've heard a lot of good things about it, but haven't bought any yet.
  3. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Thanks mts, maybe I'll just buy a couple ounces & report back with my findings...if it's very close I'm not liable to notice the difference.
  4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

All reports are that 5110 is very very close, and after a couple years sealed in a jar it's even closer. Even if you can tell a difference, it might still be close enough to be a good option. Waaay cheaper than buying tins.
  5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Sending you a PM.
  6. Mington

Mington BM fan (Billy Martin)

There was a different (older version) of FM?
    I love FM!
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

No I think the OP is just differentiating between Frog Morton and the variants - FM on the town, FM across the pond etc....
  8. MakDragon

MakDragon Lord Help me through the changes in my life!

WillH sent me a sample a few month ago, which I am eternally greatful for, and I ended up buying a pound of it and jaring about 80% of it at the recommendation of a few people here. I like it and never had the Frog........ uh oh.....TAD is rearing its ugly head again...
  9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I am going to have to add this to my list. I've never had the Frog Morton blends but, I've tried a couple of English blends and I seem to like them all...
    Mington likes this.
  10. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Sales Account

If you order your tins from JRs or have one nearby you can get a pound in the tins for about the same price as a pound for McC's 5110. I'm just saying.
  11. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Thanks for the advice, Slow Tri...I just checked that out, but Pipesandcigars actually has a graduated pricing scale, so a pound from them does actually wind up being cheaper than a pound of Frog Morton from JR's. I have a sample of 5110 coming from an incredibly generous member of this forum, so I'm gonna' give it a shot before I pull the trigger on ordering...if I really can tell a big difference, it'll be worth the extra money to get what I want.
  12. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Sales Account

Let me know how you like the 5110. I haven't tried it yet either but I do love the original frog blend.
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

5110 is certainly of the same ilk, pretty sweet virginias mixed with latakia. I suspect some other orientals in it too. I think it's not quite identical to Frog Morton, it doesn't strike me as being quite as sweet (I find the original Frog gets a little cloying by the end of the tin).

Not a bulk, but another McClelland worth chasing down is the "Anniversary" - another oriental-less blend of latakia and virginia (this is actually pretty unusual). Again, not quite as sweet as the Frog, but certainly nice stuff.
    ATXPipe likes this.