Bulk or Tin?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Just Smitty, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Smitty

Just Smitty Member

My local B&M carries SG 50g Squadron Leader tins for $17.55. They also carry bulk Squadron Leader for $7.30 an oz. I bought an oz of the bulk stuff and love it. Other online tobacconists carry it both ways as well. Are these the same thing?

2. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

In my eyes they are just the exact same.

3. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Wow, those prices are high, but availability is worth something I suppose.

4. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I believe that the SG tobacco in the tins is the same as the bulk, I have seen however where the flakes are a bit thicker in the bulk form. I have noticed this on FVF and St James Flake but not Best Brown.

5. Johnny

Johnny Member

I've been smoking SG blends for a few years now and never noticed a difference in taste between bulk and tinned. I think as far as the flakes not being uniform in size is due to the very, very old machinery they use and they are a very small outfit. I wanna say they only employ something like 12 people. I'd go with the bulk for the difference in price. You save yourself a few bucks buying bulk!

umfunix likes this.
  6. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Bulk is the same as tinned, at least for most every blend I've tried that comes both ways. Beyond price, bulk has another thing going for it in my experience. It comes a little drier. So, it's more ready to smoke, and you're paying for tobacco, not water.

umfunix and JescoWhite like this.
  7. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I usually opt for bulk if available. Tins are cool but expensive....would be nice if Briar Fox came in bulk...or I guess in it's case it would be a bale..

8. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

You can get a lb can/tin for 41 dollars

9. Just Smitty

Just Smitty Member

Thank you all very much! I've seen other posts about Squadron Leader and I wasn't sure if there was a difference or not and wanted to make sure I was smoking the same thing everyone else was. Glad I went for it though, that stuffs good! Saw it on another website for a little cheaper than what I pay here so I may have to order some. Right now I'm smoking that and CH.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Maybe in bulk , like in a jar at the B&M , they might get a little dryer ... but that would work to their benefit :)

11. Johnny

Johnny Member

If you are a fan of Squadron Leader and order online, try some Balkan Supreme from Peter Stokkebye. Highly recommended!

RTOdhner likes this.
  12. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

English Oriental Supreme by Peter Stokkebye is great, too. Nothing like Squadron Leader, but an awesome blend at a terrific price.

13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I think that Squadron Leader and English Oriental Supreme are both great examples of Oriental-forward "English" blends. Balkan Supreme is kind of similar, but takes the Oriental to a higher level. Squadron Leader is an iconic blend, but the I think that the Stokkebye offerings have qualities that would really appeal to you if you like Squadron Leader...especially the price.

Just Smitty likes this.
  14. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

+1 for the Stokkebye English blends. I have Balkan Supreme, Proper English, English Oriental Supreme, and English Luxury. All slightly different, all inexpensive in bulk, and they smoke very well.

15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I usually buy in bulk if it's available. The only bulk I ever smoked that was different from its tinned version was the old bulk 965. It wasn't until years later that I learned that Lane made it instead of Dunhill (Murray).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.