Bulk Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BigAl, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl

BigAl Member

I'm new here and new, again, to pipe smoking after more than a thirty year layoff. I wanted to find a pipe smoking forum which gets used frequently and this looks like a good one.

So, I have a question right off the bat. I'm in the process of smoking various samples to find what I like. When I do find one I really enjoy I'll probably buy it in bulk. My question is this...how long can you keep tobacco and still have it retain it's quality? This will determine just what size I purchase. Thanks, and glad to be onboard.

2. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

From what I've learned from the guys around here as long as you store in clean mason jars years and years. I know I buy my bulk baccy by the pounds and store.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Some tobaccos store better than others though - I wouldn't be looking forward to a "well aged" aromatic for example. The essences used for flavoring seldom improve with time, and sometimes get worse. But virginias, english, va/pers etc all store really well in mason jars. I've been smoking a pound of Mac Baren Mixture for well over a year and it's just fine.

4. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

5. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

6. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

And you'll remian there for the good of the outfit... :lol:

7. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

I'm discovering that mason jars are the way to go for pretty much everything...they really seem to keep the humidity in and keep stuff from drying out...

8. Jvail

Jvail Member

Welcome Al,
    I'm still probably categorized as a novice pipe smoker. I usually keep 3 different bulk blends (An aromatic, an English, and a flake) in 3 separate mason jars, and they've been holding up well for the past few months. I don't buy in the amounts that some of these other guys do--only an ounce or two at a time--so the jars work well for me.

-Joe

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I've had some blends jarred since the mid 90's to early 2000 and they are actually better than when I jarred them. Virginia/Va-Per tobaccos "age" best, with English/Orientals next, then Burleys and finally aromatics. The last two won't "age" but will keep indefinitely if properly jarred.

Welcome to PSF and hope we've been of some service........ ;)

10. BigAl

BigAl Member

Thanks for the info. We do some canning so have quite a few mason jars onhand. I'll use the pint size for tobacco; should work out nicely.

11. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nice, Shoot...but I prefer the canning jars to the bail-top jars. (to each his own...right?) :thumbsu:
    My local Wal-Mart has some great 8 oz jars that are wide and flat. Couldn't find them on their web site....think they're seasonal. I have about 30+ that I use for my rotation tobaccos, and the large wide mouth quart jars for bulk/long term storage. Have a BUNCH of those!

13. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Eh...It's nice and dark in here with a good vent so I can smoke but something keeps poking me, I think maybe Tom Cruise is in here somewhere! :goodjob:

14. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Yep, Wally World has a pretty decent selection. I have the same...only not as many.

15. Philthy

Philthy Member

Somebody else had mentioned using the smaller 4oz jar with wide mouths since the aging process "stops" when opened. This way you impact a smaller quantity of tobacco when it comes time to open someething up. This expecially made sense to me on those tobaccos that start to get some serious age on them that will not necessarily be an every day smoke. I am now buying and using a combination of the smaller 4oz, 8oz, as well as quart (all wide mouth) jars.

16. woody

woody Admin Admin

I like the wide-mouth jars the best.

17. atwageman

atwageman Member

I use widemouth mason jars. I also vacuum seal the jars. For non aromatics I do leave a small amount of air in the jar to help along the aging process. I keep my tobbaco in a dark closet as well.

18. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Just wondering why, if leaving air in improves aging for aros, you don't do it for all your weed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.