1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Bulldog or Rhodesian?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jayson H Bucy, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

So I'm still trying to figure out the pipe style I like best and I'm thinking I might like one of these. The only difference I can obviously tell is that one has a diamond stem and the other a round stem. However, it gets confusing from there, which is which? I've seen both listed as one or the other. Is there any other difference other than cosmetic? Are they as stout as they appear in pics(haven't gotten to see one up close)? They appear to have a smallish bowl(which is one of the things I'm looking for) is this the case or just appearance?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jayson

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

The general consensus is that a Bulldog has a diamond shaped shank, and a Rhodesian's shank is round. You can read about it here,http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Bulldog but not everyone agrees with this as a hard and fast rule.

3. SSG P

SSG P Member

I just picked up another bulldog. The one I got is short, has a diamond shank, small/med bowl, thicker bowl towards the top, & is quite chunky/or stout. It feels sturdy enough to put in a shirt pocket & take fishing with you, so great for taking to work.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dissagree w/ the round shank thing . I always see it as the bulldogs bowl isnt squaty where as the Rhodesians are . Either bent or straight , diamond or round shank ... it's the bowl that makes the shape . If a billiard is traditionaly proportioned and has a diamond shank .... its still a billiard .. oval shank , still a billiard etc .... People will say an oval shanked billiard .. not a new shape . Just my unchangeable opinion :)

Bri2k and gic like this.
  5. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Both Rhodesians and Bulldogs are often compact pipes, especially the bent ones. They aren't always small, though. Some are pretty good sized, although both shapes have a natural stoutness in whatever size.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

This is a bulldog [ bagged it on ebay the other day .. good wife ] . It smokes really good too . I've since cleaned it up and it looks better as well

[​IMG]

whitebriar and Mark w4mms like this.
  7. gic

gic Member

Absolutly agree with Ruffinogold. The Rhodesian is squaty and the 'normal' bulldog is not. So a Squat bulldog=Rhodesian.

8. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Stanwell - Here's a Bulldog that's stamped "Rhodesian" just to add to the confusion......:confused:

:)

9. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Not to beat a dead horse but it seems like the bulldog would be the squat one and the rhodesian would be taller.

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

Interesting! I always considered these pipe a "Bulldog"! Then I was informed they were "Rhodesian". To be honest I've never seen a consistent description of a Rhodesian other than the round shank. To me the bowl should dictate the pipes classification not the shank. Guess I'm wrong. Sorta runs down the same road as the Zulu and Dublin.
    [​IMG]
    So, by the popular consensus these pipes are bent Rhodesians. Fine!

Will

dwaugh likes this.
  11. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I prefer the bulldog shape in this comparison.

12. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

to add to the confusion
    [​IMG]

13. WillH

WillH Active Member

I thought this was interesting only because it references the bowl shape and NOT the shank style, which to my mind makes more sense.

....."Let's go backwards a little. Now, there's no fuss over the Bullcap, right? (Ha!) We usually only look at the bowl and violĂ , that's a Bullcap. The bowl has to simply be flattened, squatted (YES, just like the Squat Bulldog!! Hence, the "ha"). The walls of the bowl are inclined towards the inside of the tobacco chamber. That is, they are not upright or vertical. When a pipe has these exact bowl walls but is not squatted, it's a Rhodesian. When the walls are upright, that is a Bulldog. (Think more of a Pot or a Billiard, but with a tiny bit of inward inclination at the bowl rim.)

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Once we get past the bulldog thingy, we can move on to the differences between a Canadian, a Lovat and a Lumberman. :D

15. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Obviously there it no consensus and it seems there are multiple definitions. I think there may be a "type" Bulldog, Rhodesian, Bullcap etc., but in my opinion, they are all bulldogs, based on the bowl shape (squat or not). Much like a I would say a "Canadian" is a "billiard", although calling it a Canadian is more "specific" name and conveys more details of the pipe shape, although its still could be called a billiard. i.e. pipe shapes are not always discreet, overlap or exist in a hierarchy. I feel the bowl shape is the most fundamental. I guess I do buy into the diamond/round stem distinction for differentiating Bulldogs and Rhodesians, but only because it seems to be the more accepted definition....

Anyway, I think its interesting to think about, even if it doesn't make all that much difference. I often wonder, when or if a pipe shape should be capitalized. It would make an interesting court case, lets say I commission a custom pipe. I ask for a bulldog, and I get what I would call a Rhodesian. Time to hire a pipe shape expert witness! :) -David

gic likes this.
  16. dmkerr

One would think. However, my point was that when I say "Canadian", you may think a billiard with a long, oval shank and a standard bit. And you'd be correct. But what I might mean when I say Canadian is a billiard with a long round shank and a saddle bit, which is actually a Lovat. A lot of folks, even pipemakers seem to confuse the two. And then throw in the Lumberman which (if I recall correctly) is a long oval shanked billiard with a saddle bit, i.e a cross between a Canadian and a Lovat.

Confused? I am! That's why I call everything with a long shank a Canadian and I call Rhodesians Bulldogs. Then I can pass my own confusion off to someone else. Keeps it familial! :xd:

dwaugh likes this.
  17. dmkerr

Oh, hey - I think Canadians and Lumbermans have a longer shank than Lovats, too. But I'm not sure. :D

18. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Wish I had seen this sooner.

Diamond shank=Bull Dog
    Round shank= Rhodie

If the bowl doesn't come to a V at the bottom it ain't no Dog.........

19. dmkerr

Ok, see post # 6. I'd call this a bulldog but it has a round shank. Does the fact that it's a straight pipe further muddy the water? Bowl height? See how confusion sets in? :D

20. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Well I'd call it a Rhodie, no V and no diamond shank.

The V bottom is rarely found on anything but a bulldog and a V bottom kinda dictates a diamond shank. So there you have it, for me a bulldog has to have both or it's a rhodie. Rings and number are optional though two rings is traditional on both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.