Burely, Latakia, and Oriental blends.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MacNutz, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Seeking suggestions/information.
    The tobaccos I love are split into two main categories, English blend Lat bombs and burley. I've seen that burley and perique make wonderful blending partners. It occurs to me that an English style blend using burely in place of the Virginias might be interesting.

Do such blends exist? Suggestions please.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

C&D probably makes blends closest to what you're looking for. Bowlegged Bear, Burley Flake #4 and Big-N-Burley come closest, as far as my memory works, although the first two include virginia as a condiment and the first adds oriental. None of them could be considered lat bombs, though. Makes me wonder if a lotta latakia goes with a lotta burley. I can't think of a single latakia-heavy, burley-based blend, offhand.

capt dave and MacNutz like this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Might be your chance to make your mark in the blending world! ;)

You might pick up some McClellands Blending Latakia and do some personal experimentation.

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Ive thought about getting some of the McClelland Blending Latakia, and making a blend. I have an idea (craving) for a burley blend with black cavandish and latakia as subtle side flavorings...

MacNutz likes this.
  5. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Might want to try John Patton's Dark & Stormy or Latakia Junction. They are available in bulk at 4noggins. I've only tried Moe's Confetti from him so I can only vouch for the blender not the blend.

MacNutz likes this.
  6. dBear

dBear Active Member

Pirate Kake is burley, latakia and orientals. Definitely worth a try. Has a different mouth feel than virginia based latakia blends.

Ol Brokedik and Rodfather like this.
  7. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Yes, that's the only one I'm aware of and I love PK.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  8. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

From the C&D web site:
    You could also add some C&D Dark Burley (an excellent blending tobacco, IMO) to
    Or add Latakia to
    If you can't find these blends and don't want to order direct from C&D, smokingpipes does special orders, usually for the same price as the blends they regularly carry.

MacNutz likes this.
  9. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I dont have access to the online stores from work but 4nogs has some John Patton blends that would be in that category i think. Also SP has a Brebia blend called Rondo. Has Perique,Lat and orientals with a hint of Chocolate.

MacNutz likes this.
  10. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.