Burley Question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MakDragon, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I hav smoked a pipe on and off for 25 years now, more off than on, and now consider myself "on". I started with the typical Captain Black WHite all those years ago and pretty much stayed with aromatics until now. I always thought the room note was as important. Then I was directed to the English tobaccos and blends that were non aromatic and am enjoying this discovery. So here's my question.... I understand burley is used in cigarettes. That being the case, does smoking them in a pipe reflect the taste and room note of cigarettes? :thankyou:

2. Cobra

Cobra Member

I wouldn't say it smells like cigarettes but to me it smells the least like pipe tobacco. As for taste, I find straight burley pretty bland by itself. Americans seem to like it though, I think a lot of it depends on what you were brought up with, that's my two bits on it anyway. :puffy:

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

4. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

WOW!! Thank you!

5. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Sometimes burley pipe tobaccos have a little of the taste and smell of cigarettes to me. Not always, or even often, by any means, but on occasion, I get a suggestion of cigarettes in a blend with a lot of burley. I am not a big lover of burleys, but not because of that. Like someone said, they are just a bit bland.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Actually, burleys room note reminds me of the 1960's and '70's when my dad smoked nothing but Edgeworth Ready Rubbed and Sir Walter Raleigh. Definitely a pipe smell, as least as I associate them.

On the flip side, my kids sometimes ask me if I've lit a cigarette when they smell certain burley blends that I'm smoking.

Straight burley can indeed be a bit bland but I'm finding out that as I discover more and more blends that I really enjoy, most of them have some burley in them. Burley can really round out a blend and change it from good to stellar.

As an aside, virginia and turkish tobaccos are used in cigarettes as well. I remember the difference in taste between a marlboro and a winston. The latter had a sweeter flavor, due to a higher percentage of virginia tobacco. As for Turkish tobacco, last I heard, more was produced for cigarettes than pipes.

Long, verbose way of saying I agree with Cobra - it's all in what you were brought up with. :eek:hyeah:

7. woody

woody Admin Admin

I guess I fall into the burley camp. I like Virginia blends but get more flavor and enjoyment from burley blends.

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I like PA & CH, both mostly burley blends. My girlfriend says she loves the room note from them, especially compared to my Pall Malls.

9. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

While most of our crazy Canadian cigarettes actually contain a high portion of Virginias, sadly, the room note is nothing like a VA flake, while its very, very similar to the room note of a U.S. burley based smoke, or a Chinese god-only-knows-what (mfg, of course, at the #2 Cigarette Factory) smoke, leading me to believe that its the other constituents in cigarette tobacco that cause that cigarette aroma.

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the vodka I just had a drink of, but now I'm craving a pack of Players. Canadian smokes are better than US on the whole. Ungodly expensive though, last time I bought a pack in Ontario cost me almost ten bucks.

Next time I go visit my girl I'll have to pick up a pack on the way home...she's not a fan of cigarettes hehe...course I am in all fairness trying to get off them for good...but damn, I love Players haha

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Cigarettes smell alot like paper to me . Burley smells most like pipe tobacco imo . Burley is a magic variety . O.k. , it's got no sugar , but thats what girls are made of right !? Burley is awesome by itself if done right [ like anything else ] and is a killer component in many blends with more than one purpose . Burley that is thin cut if added to a slow burning blend wil help it speed up . Burley absorbs flavoring best of the varietys and can take a blend thats to sweet and make it just right . Adding burley dosent create " tang " or sweetness . It's the variety that has the most uses and it's air cured ... which I think is cool . Heat it up and add some stuff to it and you got a cavendish [ Vir as well ] . Without Burley ... we wouldnt have alot of great blends . Burley can get alittle weird if the quality is low ... but so can the others . Some Vir's have so much tang or ketchup or heat [ but some people like it ] and some Orientals are just musty [ some people like that too ] ... it's all quality and how it's treated . I smoke a crap load of MB GE . It's a blend of Burleys . I could stand it to be nuttier but the nut thing is a fine balance to the funk . An example is Skandinivik . It's super nutty imo but you pay for it when the pipe is done .... stinky . MB GE is so damn clean . Tops !

12. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

:0laugh:

That may be the funniest unexpected thing I've read yet this year. Kudos brother!

And MacBaren Golden Extra is truly an excellent smoke all joking aside.

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Rarely does a burley come through (pipe toby) as a "cigarette-like" flavor or room note but if it does, it is quick to get back on track with the nutty, chocolatey, smooth, thick goodness...........burley! What a great leaf!

White burleys are strength & thickness builders but usually add no flavor(s) or aroma(s)

What's real "Magic" is when you grab a nice burley and add a nice va.......SUBLIME! Then go "Ga-Ga's" and add some perique..... Ooooooo Laaa Oui! Boy dat goo-ood! ;) [cue Justin Wilson voice dub]

Now, I have had the "toilet-cake" flavor come through towards the bottom of the bowl (pipe! NOT TERLETT!!) which can happen in some cases with burleys but I believe that's just in flavor and not room note........ I hope! :startle:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

14. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I've enjoyed my Scandinavik (reg) twice so far, without a bad smell. Ruffy, regarding your comment, is it the pipe that stinks afterward or the smoke?

Very nutty character ... is for sure!

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dig Skandinivik but the pipe[bowl] does smell afterward . Skan has that nutty thing goin on for sure

16. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

A good burley will not smell or taste like a cigarette. Cig tobacco is pretty bland, and highly processed, treated. A good uncased burley will have a unique flavor and aroma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.