Burley recommendations for a UK smoker

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Lukasaurus, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Can anyone recommend me some good Burley blends which are readily available in the UK? It's another string of baccies I haven't really explored in any great depth and after trying CH it got me curious. Obviously CH is going to be tricky to get hold of this side of the pond so does anyone have an alternatives they would recommend me?

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Have you tried Gold Block?
    OT

3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I'd think you'd be able to get a hold of some London Burley Blend by MacBaren...

Kentuck, RTOdhner and jdto like this.
  4. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Can't say I have! Will check out some reviews.

5. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Cheers coda, will look into this blend also.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Solani Aged Burley Flake
    Wessex Burley Slice

Two of the best, both should be readily available in your area.

Monkey, jdto and BradNTX like this.
  7. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

If in fact you do have access to Mac Baren products......besides the Burley London Blend there is also Scottish Mixture,Symphony and Golden Extra.Scottish Mixture and BLB are my current burley go to's.Symphony and Golden Extra are both new arrivals in my cellar.I've only had a couple bowls of each but I do see the possibilities of them making the rotation.

Peterson's Perfect Plug is killer good IMHO.I highly recommend this with some morning coffee.Blew my socks off.

Ron

RTOdhner likes this.
  8. FrNick

FrNick Member

Sad to say Solani Aged Burley Flake and MacBarens London Burley Mixture are nowhere to be found in the UK and they are two tobaccos I really want to try.

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Mac Baren Mixture is just fine

If Peter Stokkebye tobaccos get distributed to your stores, try the Cube Cut.

jdto likes this.
  10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Mac Baren Golden Extra is one of my favorites. Only slightly edged out by Solani Aged Burley Flake. Being its made in Germany, I'm surprised you guys wouldn't have it in the UK? Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut is also good, and I've seen that on-line at UK tobacco shops.

edit: Could you order on-line from a German tobacco shop?

nicktrap likes this.
  11. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Ogden's Walnut Flake and Player's Digger Flake aren't anything like CH, but they contain a lot of burley. And they're excellent.

Both are full bodied and satisfying. Walnut is mostly unscented, whereas Digger is the opposite. They both taste great. Wish I could get them here.

12. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Definite +1 Lukasaurus. Both are excellent smokes. :th1:
    Peterson's 3P is another one. Lovely nutty flavour to this one IMO. :puffy:

13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

MacB Golden Extra, Burley London Blend, and Scottish Mixture.

Kentuck and BradNTX like this.
  14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

MB GE is fantastic ! All the above mentioned are equally as good , though I'm partial to GE . Wessex makes a blend called Burley Broadcut that is super ! It has a bit of Virginia and has the woody toasty chocolate ... hell , it has all the Burley things down nicely . It would be one to try if it's available to you in your area .

BradNTX likes this.
  15. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Wessex Burley Sliced is delicious. My favorite burley for sure.

16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Roy, what's the difference between the MacB Scottish Mixture and Mixture Flake? A good while back, I'd read a post (maybe yours?) about how great Scottish Mixture was. I ordered a pound by phone from one of the big eTailers and received Mixture Flake instead. I opened the 1 lb and smoked a bowl before I realized it didn't say Scottish anywhere... :oops:

17. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Isn't Gawith Hoggarth's Kendall Kentucky a straight burley? It's been a while and my memory is foggy. I seem to remember it being at least decent. I just ordered another 2 ounces to try out again. Anyway - that should be easy to get your hands on over there.

Cornell & Diehl are the burley masters. Can you get any of their blends?

I agree with the previous posters also. Unfortunately, I'm not on your side of the pond, so I don't know what's available over there.

18. FrNick

FrNick Member

G&H Kendal Kentucky is also not easy to find in the UK. Besides it is a Dark Fired Kentucky not a Burley. Also shag cut so finely it is better suited to rolling cigarettes. Think I could do with a trip to America since you have a much wider choice of pipes and tobacco over there. Even Petersons distribute only a limited range of pipes in England and others seem to be made exclusively for the American market. Sorry to moan. Just jealous.

19. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

"Kentucky" most often refers to burley, grown in Kentucky, that is then fire-cured. Still a burley, but not a burley...

Kentuck likes this.
  20. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The flake has a slightly stronger flavor profile than the ready rubbed version, but I really have a hard time telling the two apart. It may all be in my head, and if you were to blindfold test me I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm not sure, but I think that the ready rubbed version might be less expensive. I love them both, but it doesn't make sense for me to cellar both - especially since I can't really tell the difference. So, I've put away about 10 pounds worth of the ready rubbed version. (Yezzir, I like it that much).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.