1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Burley sampler advice needed

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by eddy13, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddy13

eddy13 Member

I'm enjoying PA at the moment and am looking at trying some other Burleys. Are there any good samplers available online that anyone can recommend?

Thanks

2. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

Sorry I meant pm me

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Go to Cornell & Diehl's website. They have quite a few, they will even recommend them too ya. I forget the sampler pack prices, but they seemed reasonable.

Solani Aged Burley Flake gets a lot of good press here, just for a single name drop.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1 on the C&D sampler pack. It's fairly cheap and you can pick out which burleys you want to try. Just be aware that many of their burleys are on the strong side, and quite different from PA. For something in the PA lineage, I'd recommend their Burley Straight. For the opposite end of the spectrum, their Dark Burley or Burley Flake #3. Just smoke those bad boys on a full stomach or the Nic Monster will getcha!

Uhle's is another good one... IF they have Blend 00 back in stock. Their Perfection Plug is excellent.
    www.uhles.com.

And shoot, I'd take Black up on his offer! :thumbsu: to Black!

5. eddy13

eddy13 Member

great info thanks!!!
    Yes, Black= :punk:!!

6. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Have not tried the Solani yet, but yes, C&D makes some awesome burleys.

7. dmkerr

Funny thing... when I started smoking a pipe, I was "taught" that a burley is a burley is a burley - they were all the same. How wrong that was! Your post reminded me of that piece of misinformation, since Solani ABF and C&D burleys could not be more different. Burley has at least as many iterations as Virginia does, possibly more.

I sure wish we had these pipe forums back then! I'm always impressed with the quality of the info that is dispensed at this site. Always learning new things and, more importantly, unlearning bits of the garbage training I got as a newbie.

8. Legend

Legend Member

If you like PA, you will love Mac Baren's Burley London Blend, and probably Golden Extra as well. C&D Burley Flake #2 is great as well; but it is a heavy hitter with the Nicotine. One thing I notice about burleys is there are very few straight burleys out there. Most are blends, with VA in them. So there can be a lot of variance between different blends.

9. Major

Major Member

Oh yeah.... another burley man on the forums. I can feel the balance of power shifting already! Muahahaha!! :devil:
    :devil:
    Yes sir PA is a nice OTC burley indeed. Yinyang was right in pointing out Solani Aged Burely Flake too (as well as Cornell & Diehl's). Its a stronger version of PA with the added casing of raw cocoa in it too. Sure to please anyone who likes PA.

10. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

I also enjoy burleys and one of my favorites is boswell's premium burley. Just my 2 cents!

11. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

Everybody has been throwing out Boswells stuff and I have yet to try it. Guess I know what im about to do.

12. jayf

jayf Member

SWR Aro is good, mild, a good room note, and the taste is great too.

Peace,
    Jayf

13. eddy13

eddy13 Member

I picked some up this morning, but it was very dry-I'm trying to rehydrate it now...

14. dmkerr

The guy that turned me on to burley introduced it as "God's Leaf". Now burley is a staple in my tobacco diet. I think the guy was right! :thumbsu:

15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Another vote for MB Golden Extra. Didn't
    know if I'd ever like straight burley, but
    GE quickly changed my mind! 200g was
    in my last TAD order. :thumb:

dp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.