1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Burning through the stems in cobs?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jomodeere, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Hey all,
    I bought myself a cob from cvs yesterday and I've smoked 3 bowls out of it but I just can't figure out how in the world to burn through that part at the bottom of the bowl that protrudes into the bowl. Part of it has turned black but I just can't get it to burn through.

Thanks all,
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    Um... I'm not totally sure if you're supposed to burn through that. Not much left holding the stem and bowl together if you incinerate that bit.
  3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    I assume you mean burn it back...more or less even with the side wall of the bowl? For that, one smoked bowl at a time will get you there, sorta. There will most likely be a smidge of carbonized wood remaining. Read up about pipe mud if you are unfamiliar with it...you can smoothe things over needs be with it. I personally never bothered, but many have.
  4. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Just give it time, it will slowly burn away - just keep in mind that there is a big chamber underneath to trap tobacco, make sure you dig any wet bits of dottle out from under there, or it gets nasty!
  5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

I have heard of people paring this away with a hobby knife but have never been able to see why they'd do that. If you make sure you smoke down to the bottom of the bowl after a few days this bit of stem will carbonise and you won't get that burning pine taste and smell any more. Over time the stem will crumble away as you clean out the pipe but this can take many years,

Best to all

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Spot on advice, as Gerry said, as you smoke to the bottom of the bowl the shank will burn away and as it does it will also become part of the bottom of the bowl protecting the soft pith of the cob.
  7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Z'actly! The absolute bottom most portion of that shank extension will become (or at least help to form) the bottom of your cob bowl. Just smoke your cob down to the bottom of your toby and when you start to sense a "pine" taste, stop and don't go much further. Little bits of ash/carbon/etc. will eventually fill in all of the remaining voids (below and to the sides of the shank extension). Since your cob is fairly new, you'll get the pine taste as your reach the bottom. Give her about 20 bowls and you should see the bowl bottom start to form (if it hasn't completely done so). Some cobs can be difficult to get the bowl bottom to form, in this case, just smoke her more or you can resort to pipe mud.

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff
  8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Apr 11, 2011
    This one confused me for a minute, but I guess you must be talking about the end of the shank that's jammed in the bowl. Nothing that needs fixing there, I do believe it's supposed to be like that. Part of the beauty of a cob is that you don't have to worry/think about break-in or maintenance; just add tobacco and fire and smoke the Christmas out of her- she'll reward you!
  9. Beale

Beale Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    I do know what you are talking about? To be honest I just smoke them? You will love it! I now have 3, Beale.
  10. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

Mar 20, 2011
    no need to burn off the stem. i still have stems on all 3 of my cobs. smoked my CG yesterday w/ some peterson CC
  11. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Jan 23, 2010
    My cobs are three or four years old. The stems have burned away a bit, but they are still there. Now they are just cemented in a layer of pipe mud (not a bad thing). The pith of the cob at the bottom is soft, but it doesn't yield to fingertip pressure the way it used to. The bowl is developing a floor akin to cake on the walls. Let the cob do what it wants to do. It will all develop well in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.