1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

burning tongue

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by pipepuffer27, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipepuffer27

pipepuffer27 New Member

good day all im new to the pipe smoking i have been smoking my pipe for a month now and i have found my tongue feels like it is on fire and my voice has become very raspy sounding is this normal i have afficianado tobacco i was told the tobacco might be to harsh is this true??? thanx for any and all info

2. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

You are more than likely puffing too hard and getting tongue bite. As far as your throat... Are you inhaling the smoke?

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What tobacco blend are you smoking ?

4. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Many people puff too fast in order to keep the pipe lit. Dry out your baccy a bit and don't sweat a relight.:puffy:

5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Like the others stated.. You might want to slow it down a little, dry out the tobacco a little more..
    I have no clue what the tobacco you mentioned (afficianado tobacco) is . .. so I can't help much with that.

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Are you smoking a house blend? Is it an aromatic?

7. pipepuffer27

pipepuffer27 New Member

ok lol yes i do inhale a bit i try not to but i'm a ex cigarette smoker so its kinda habit ..but I don't inhale the whole draw i got this tobacco called afficanadio no one I talked to has heard of it lol I live in a small town so my supply of tobacco is limited, but i'm gonna go to Edmonton to a real tobacco store and he will help me a bit with some better tobacco thanx again

8. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

If you're smoking too fast because you're worried about having to relight (relighting may be an annoyance, but it's not a problem by any means), then use something to tamp the tobacco once it's lit, and afterwards whenever you notice the smoke getting a bit thin. Just don't go nuts and over-compress; that'll prevent any air from getting through.

9. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

You have internet access so your supply is only limited by how much you want to spend.

Someone on this forum once mentioned that when you start smoking a pipe you are breaking in your mouth and throat similar to how you are breaking in a pipe. I think their wording was a bit more elequent but you get the idea.

I've experienced the dry raspy throat as well. It sucks but it goes away after a week or two. Try refraining from smoking for a couple of days if it gets too bad.

10. pipepuffer27

pipepuffer27 New Member

problem with the internet is i don't know the differences in tobaccos or what's good or crap once I know what I want for tobacco then ill start ordering off the net .

what are some of the better smoother tobaccos with a sweet taste
    thanx

11. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Virginia tobaccos are sweet. Try Peter Stokkebye (sp?) Navy Flake and Bulls Eye Flake. These are smooth and have a great natural sweetness. They are pretty inexpensive too. BF is the sweater of the two.

I would not worry too much about buying something that you don't like. If you don't like a tobacco after trying a few bowls, you can trade it. No matter what you buy there is likely someone who will be willing to trade.

12. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

If you're in Canada , which it seems to me like you are, check out 4noggins. They have very reasonable shipping costs to us and a great selection. Their house blends get great reviews, too.

13. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

We've all been there. One thing that helped me is learning not to trust my nose too much. If you're in a tobacco shop, and they have lots of bulk blends in big jars, don't buy something based only on how it smells. After a while, that will tell you more, but first learn a little about leaf and preparation, and what to expect. With most of the more fragrant aromatics, all you're smelling is additives anyway. And, Jesco's right, if you want sweet, Virginia's are the place to start. McClelland's 2035 is one I might suggest.

Also, if you do get to a shop that sells by the ounce, go ahead and get a lot of different kinds of blends. That's the cheapest way to try out a lot of quality tobaccos if, like me, there's not much of a local community to trade with.

Enjoy!

14. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

Usually tobacco e-tailers will have a "Best Sellers" link which can be helpful in picking out new tobaccos. Plus there is a pretty nifty review section here at PSF.

15. sarge564

sarge564 Member

change your leaf and slow down. Captain Black Light had the best room note and everyone within a 100 feet, loved it! It tore my throat and voice up.

16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Smokingpipes.com ships to Canada as well. I've ordered from them numerous times. Shipping costs are very reasonable. You can have 500g shipped with no customs hassle. However in your province, this may vary. Not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.