1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Butz-Choquin Mirage Briar Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by NoelVance, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoelVance

NoelVance Member

I got this new guy for my birthday along with an assortment of tobacco, the flake I bought today.
    I seriously love this thing. Its been like about a month and I was using an old full bent briar. I was super impressed with it after the use of the old one. The draw is perfect, and aesthetically in general I love it. No complaints at all.

Pipe

Tobaccos

2. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Wow, that truly is a great lookin pipe. Love the grain! Nice catch.
    Welcome to PSF!
    TS

3. NoelVance

NoelVance Member

Thank You!

4. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

When did you start smoking? Just curious? How many other pipes do you have?

5. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

That is a damn fine looking pipe, how does she smoke for you thus far?

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Nice looking set up there. :thumb:

7. NoelVance

NoelVance Member

about a month. I have only two at the moment, but I am looking to add to my collection very soon. I'm looking at buying a churchwarden next for laughs.

8. NoelVance

NoelVance Member

Thank you!, smokes like a dream. No complaints at all.

9. Icepick

Icepick Member

Beautiful pipe! If you're serious about a churchwarden and are happy with butz-choquin they make some nice looking cw's. I like the looks of the balzac.

10. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Awesome man, looks like you're getting yourself into some fine tobaccos early on! Awesome. I have two Churchwardens right now and have plans in the making for a third. The Hans Christian Anderson Stanwell that I have is very nice, but it was $125. I love it, but I also love the other Churchwarden that you see in my profile picture. You can see the HCA by going my gallery.
    Or you can buy one for youself here! http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=H&srch=KW&search_text=Stanwell+Hans
    Johs also makes good Churchwardens, but I don't see any available at the moment
    Savinelli has some really low priced ones http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=75376
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=74676

Churchwardens may look funny, or in my opinion awesome, but they also provide an unbelievably cooler smoke, which gives a much clearer flavor.
    Hope this helps!
    TS

11. NoelVance

NoelVance Member

Thank you, yes this helps. I will keep it in mind. I do also think they look awesome, just not a typical thing people pull out. When I have the money I am definitely investing in one.

12. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Good man, post pics when you do!
    And let me emphasize that the Savinelli is only $52
    haha, you know you want to buuuuy it.
    TS

13. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

That's a nice looking pipe.

Trendsetter, which HCA do you have? I just bought the 2 and it smokes like a dream.

14. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

This one: http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/371-stanwelljpg/

Yea, its a beaut and a wonderful smoker. The rustication looks really nice and i love the bowl shape/size/everything. And having a small stem for change of pace is always nice.
    I use it for my latakia blends. Smoking them cooler really brings out a huge amount of flavor, so the Churchwarden is fantastic for the job.

What about you? Do you have any pics?

15. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I really like Butz Choquin pipes. That was my big upgrade after smoking Petersons for 20+ years was to spend more than $100 on a Butz. Now I have a couple and keep looking at more.

I don't think I ever saw a churchwarden style pipe in any pipe store when I was younger and buying pipes, and I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to buy one if I had. Interesting to see a younger crowd making the sport of pipe-smoking all their own.

The Church Warden stood watch over the church congregation through the long daily service. He was armed with a long pole with a knob on one end and a feather on the other. If he saw a man beginning to doze, he would reach over from the aisle and konk the guy on the noggin to make sure he stayed awake, and thus, safe from the devil. If it was a lady, she got her nose tickled with the feather. The churchwarden pipe resembles this long pole with a knob on one end. I doubt anyone actually smoked anything similar in church back then.

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Lovely looking pipe ( love the grain ) and welcome to the Forum - wish you many happy years with that beauty and hope you enjoy your time here!

Grand story about Churchwardens from Jeff - thanks for posting!

Welcome again

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.